Neutered cat is this normal

Tiffanyb122

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Our moon kitty was neutered 4 days ago. Kept him in my bedroom until last night when I couldn't handle sleeping with the litter box a minute longer. Does he look swollen? I think the incision look great, but there are definitely hard lumps under both sides I'm assuming fluid which I've read is normal after doing too much. He's back in my bedroom until next week. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does your vet allow you to send a photo so that they can let you know to bring him in or not?

If not, you can usually call and ask the tech over the phone. They can let you know. I've never had a vet ask me to come in just for the $. They are usually too busy for that.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello! Our moon kitty was neutered 4 days ago. Kept him in my bedroom until last night when I couldn't handle sleeping with the litter box a minute longer. Does he look swollen? I think the incision look great, but there are definitely hard lumps under both sides I'm assuming fluid which I've read is normal after doing too much. He's back in my bedroom until next week. Thanks for your help!
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

I'm replying you with the reply I commented in this thread :- is-it-infected.441264

'The incision looks ok to me. It's normal for the surgical site to bleed a little and also the swelling is due to blood filling up the sac. It'll slowly subside in a week or two.

Just take note that there is no yellow pus or foul smelling pus. If there is, it means that the surgical site is infected and you must immediately bring your cat in to the vet.

Keep the surgical site clean and dry. Use a slightly warm damp towel and dab the area after your cat has use the litter box to clean away the litter dust.

The testosterones will take around 8 weeks to leave the system and you'll find 2 flat sac. By then, the fur should have grown back.

It's normal for him to lick the surgical area but make sure he don't over groom the area. A little running and jumping is ok but no wild play.'

From what I see it looks ok but about the lumps, I agree with A Alldara and send the photo to the vet for them to see. The hard lumps could be due to blood fill up the sac but better check with the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tiffanyb122

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you SO much! I feel much better now. I will send pics to vet just to make sure all is well. No drainage, no smell, incision looks great just slightly swollen. Ive not had a male done so I'm not sure what they are supposed to look like. Looking on the internet for neutered cat pics is adulting at its finest 😂.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks normal to me too. 4 days in, it will have swelling and maybe some clear drainage. if it gets yellow/white/green drainage or if he quits eating and starts hiding, bring him in. Give it another week and check again I think you will see improvement. My males are farm cats and are released within 24 hours of getting neutered, i have never had a problem and they licked it often. No cone of course either.