Neutered Cat Humping

allyshyanne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are four other cats in the house, all spayed females, but he only does this with his sister.
It's almost always when he's relaxed and getting ready to lay down.
Is this normal behavior? Is it specifically because she's his sister that he only does this with her?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Considering my cat Salem still humps the blankets at 11 years old ... I think they do it because it feels good. As for why her, maybe because she docile enough to tolerate it? Since she isn't fighting him. Neutered male cats in my experience will not penetrate a cat in heat, though they may bite her neck & mount her. Maybe him having a stuffed animal to hump might not be so bad?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allyshyanne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Considering my cat Salem still humps the blankets at 11 years old ... I think they do it because it feels good. As for why her, maybe because she docile enough to tolerate it? Since she isn't fighting him. Neutered male cats in my experience will not penetrate a cat in heat, though they may bite her neck & mount her. Maybe him having a stuffed animal to hump might not be so bad?
He never actually touches her when he does it. He just stands above her and does it to the air.
They have stuffed animal toys around the house. He doesn't do it to the blankets or anything else.
I don't think it's about him physically feeling good since he doesn't touch her. Maybe it's mentally comforting for him? He only does this when he's about to lay down and cuddle with her.
Him, his sister, and their mom were strays that I took in. They're all really bonded. He nursed on his mom up until a year. He also tries to nurse on my hair when he's really happy. Maybe he thinks it's just some kind of bonding experience to air hump above her lol.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats just like to get "happy";) If your other cat does't mind being pretend humped at, I wouldn't worry.