Neutered 8 month old acting like he's in heat??

shamblesandcleo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Shambles has started to get these extreme bursts of energy at night and will give a loud meow as he takes off. Is it possible for neutered males to go in heat??

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site.

Unless the vet really messed up, it is not possible for a neutered male to go into heat.  Unless some type of illness or hormonal problem is going on.

What is Shambles' background--did you get him from the shelter? 

He is at the age where he has a LOT of energy.

He might also be seeing something outside during the night--invisible to us human eyes, but not to a cat's eyes or sense of hearing.  (Ritz went ballastic twice; only after I turned on the night light did I see what she saw:  a fox 10 feet away from the house right before Superstorm Sandy hit and last night an orange tabby cat within spitting/spraying distance.)

If his behavior continues, you might want to check with the vet, preferably the one who neutered him (if known).

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Um... Male cats don't go into heat. My altered females act that way all the time. It's either boredom or something outside setting them off.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You're right, male cats don't go into heat.

But unneutered cats will act crazy (like a female cat) if they can't mate.

Agree---bordeom or something (some smell) outside is upsetting your cat.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, males don't go into heat. . .tomcats are always hormonal. That being said, this doesn't sound like tomcat behavior---just normal night zoomies! If you wear him out playing with him (with a fishing pole toy or laser light) before bedtime he should sleep better. He's also a teenager and will be extra active for a while. Like a high school football player ;).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shamblesandcleo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Shambles is a shelter cat. I adopted him at 2 months. He was adopted before and returned with no reason why. When I adopted him it took an extra week as he was constantly under weight. He eats like a horse now and is at a healthy weight :)

He isn't acting out of character other than the meowing and going crazy once and a while. I just wasn't sure if it was normal as Cleo never did this as a kitten.

shamblesandcleo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes it's at about 10 or 11 and it often happens two nights in a row and then not again for another 3 or 4 nights.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are lucky then. I get it every night with at least three of them going wacko. It sometimes gets to where I need to cover my face and (ahem) vital areas for a few minutes.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh man!! That would be chaos!
Chaos is a good description of my house. Whenever I walk by something that will hide a cat, there is a good chance I am going to get ankle-mugged. And when I try to go to sleep, usually there is one who wants to play with me. But I couldn't do without the whole chaotic clowder, and anyone that tried to harm them would get a severe case of lead and copper poisoning.

shamblesandcleo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I know what you mean about the harm thing. Cleo was abused and therefore only really trusts me. She sleeps by my pillow every night and she now is very protective of me. If anyone jokingly tickles me or scares me...she's all over them. Shambles on the other hand also sleeps with me but he's more like a dog. He licks people all the time to just say hello and lays at their feet.

shamblesandcleo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Shambles also coos a lot. He'll wander around and just coo even when he's not doing his 10:00 run! Anybody know what they're usually trying to communicate when they coo?

shamblesandcleo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will try and get a video! The youtube one definitely lured Shambles over to the computer! It does sound like him tho!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's kinda what I thought when you described when and where he was doing it. My ladies all trill at me sometimes. The one that does it the most is Sheba, particularly when I am petting her and she wants more.

shamblesandcleo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Very cool! Shame on those who think cats have no personality!!