Neuter'd cat's going outdoor's

tigercat24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a male 6-month old cat who has just been neuter'd. He want's to go outside in a bad way. I want to let him out but am scard he wont stay around the house. Am I just being over protective? I don't want him to go out and not come back, or something happen to him.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are a LOT of things that can happen to a kitty outside :(. Some people choose to take that risk, but personally I think that only adult former strays who WON'T adjust to living inside should be allowed out. And if you let him out once he'll always want to go out. . .

You can build an outdoor enclosure or leash-train him if you want him to be able to go out safely. Otherwise, just try to make indoors more interesting. More toys, more cat trees, more playtime, etc.

kumitekat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, your gut instinct is absolutely correct! And you should not worry that you are being overprotective.

I used to feel the same way you do. I felt so guilty watching my cats want to go outside, that I would let them. I always had cats that would just adjust to a certain territory and be just fine. But what actually happens is, that as they are first learning that territory and exploring around, it is very dangerous for them. They need to narrowly escape danger in order to learn what to avoid. Ever had a cat that you stepped on a couple of times before they learned to move out of the way? That is what happens outside, but instead of your feet, its cars! But when they get hit by a car, it is too late for them to learn the lesson to move out of the way. Plus, coyotes will eat them or they could get into fights with other cats that carry fatal diseases.

I learned my lesson when I let my begging cat out. He was only a year. I had never had a problem before. But he was killed by a car. It was heartbreaking. I learned that it was not worth it to give into his cute little face begging me to go out. His natural curiosity will always make him want to explore further and further away. Now, I just tell my cats they are just fine only looking out the window. If you are worried that they don't have a good life at your home, stop worrying. Many cats could only wish to be so lucky! Many end up spending their lives in shelters in a cage, or scrummaging for food as a feral cat, living in constant fear as they are prey to larger animals.

Provide him a toy instead. Or build an outdoor enclosure (they have Catio's you can purchase now). Or, you can start taking him for walks on a leash if he will let you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigercat24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. My cat I had before this one went outside. He was not neuters. He would go out and be back every day. Last spring I let him out, and he never came home. I never did find out what happen to him. I went out driveing around. Never found him. Well when my son gave me my new kitten. I decided to have him neuters. That way he would stay around the house. Now I don't want to let him out he Cory's and five's me sad look's. But I think your right. He is safer staying inside.