Neuter

cheddar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are cats like dogs where they are recommended to be spayed once they are fully matured? or at what age do you think it would be safe to neuter?

jmux

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it's recommended to spay cats before 6 months to avoid pregnancy.  I know of cats being spayed as early as 8-10 weeks with no issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheddar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Perfect. This is such good info to know. Thank you.

jenna5225

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wouldn't wait much longer than 6-8 months to neuter a male cat or else they might start to spray, and that smell is just the worst!! 

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vet told me I could have my boys neutered--three months old at initial visit--in another month or two.  I questioned that in another thread on this forum, as I had always been told that you neuter males between 7 & 9 months.  I was told "that was old school" thinking; that it is safe to neuter when they reach a certain weight, age not withstanding.  I don't remember what it is. 

I was also told that, in the case of males, I should do it before they learn how to spray.   As soon as I saw Brightspot back up to something and shake his tail--nothing came out--I immediately whisked him and his brother to the vet and got them 'nipped'.  They were between 4 & 5 months old,  They are fine now.

Last edited:

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As far as I know, as long as they are over 2 pounds in weight they can be neutered. But like everyone has already stated. The sooner the better! 

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boys were 3 lbs 7oz, and [if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument></xml><![endif]3 lbs 11oz.  I think my vet wanted to wait a little because Brightspot (3 lbs 11oz) had an un-descended testicle.  She could feel it in her exam.  She may have encourage it to descend.... 

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

As far as I know, as long as they are over 2 pounds in weight they can be neutered. But like everyone has already stated. The sooner the better! 
My step-daughter adopted a female cat, and she was spayed at about three months of age, or a little under three pounds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheddar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The SPCA will neuter as young as 16 weeks. Cheddar weighs 3.5 lbs as of yesterday, so I will book an appointment then. Thank you all for the input.