Neuter tattoo

Mv00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone! Quick question, with my boy Raven, who was just fixed this past Wednesday, he got the green tattoo on his lower belly. That seems to be bothering him way more than the incision on his goods. The vet told me just leave it be and it's probably scabbing over. She also said to just keep using the cone for a total of 7-10 days, but quite frankly, I'm trying to not use it so he's more relaxed. It's also bothering him big time, making him itch, causing frustrations, and he's deliberately trying to break it. The two pictures are from last night and the day before. Has anyone done anything post of for a neuter or spay with the tattoo? If so, how long did it take to heal over and stop bothering? Thanks in advance 😊

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have not had to deal with a neuter tattoo, but I think you could use something like chamomile tea to help soothe it and heal it. I have heard of other cats who were bothered by it for a while.

Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then apply some to that place using a clean, soft cloth - 2-3 times a day. Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for him to ingest.

You might also want to call the vet and ask if they have ever heard of any cat being allergic to the stuff they use, or what they would recommend to alleviate the itchiness. I haven't heard of any related allergies, but you just never know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mv00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, thanks. I'll give a try to see. The vet said to just leave it be and it should take about a week to heal over.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never dealt with tattoos in pets, but I have friends with tattoos, and remember the discomfort they had when theirs were healing. When I suggested various things I thought might reduce the problems they told me that they couldn't use any of it - in order for the tattoo to take properly it needed to heal slowly and anything that could reduce the discomfort would also keep it from taking properly. (This is one of the reasons I've never wanted tattoos.)

I'm pretty sure the information I got from my friends was accurate. What I don't know is how important it is in this setting. My friends were concerned with things like keeping the colors bright for as long as possible, for instance - do we worry about that with a neuter tattoo? I suggest asking your vet whether using something like chamomile for the itching would be harmful.

Margret

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
The ear tatoos do fade to almost pink again and idk how they would read it on a black cat. It doesn't stay that jean blue colour. This is part of why they have fallen out of use. Even dogs rarely get tattoos anymore.

I think spay tatoos are the same way except on the chest rather than the ear.

Older tatoo

Mv00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats had the tatoo in her ear from the shelter (before chips were common) but it never bothered her.

Looked like this kind of.
Oh wow! I remember when they used to do that. Was she ever bothered by it?

Mv00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never dealt with tattoos in pets, but I have friends with tattoos, and remember the discomfort they had when theirs were healing. When I suggested various things I thought might reduce the problems they told me that they couldn't use any of it - in order for the tattoo to take properly it needed to heal slowly and anything that could reduce the discomfort would also keep it from taking properly. (This is one of the reasons I've never wanted tattoos.)

I'm pretty sure the information I got from my friends was accurate. What I don't know is how important it is in this setting. My friends were concerned with things like keeping the colors bright for as long as possible, for instance - do we worry about that with a neuter tattoo? I suggest asking your vet whether using something like chamomile for the itching would be harmful.

Margret
Okay, thanks. The vet said just leave it be, but he's so aggravated by it, it isn't funny. I asked the vet what about Neosporin to help create a coating or even plain Vaseline, and she said it will only disrupt it and make him lick it more.

Mv00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The ear tatoos do fade to almost pink again and idk how they would read it on a black cat. It doesn't stay that jean blue colour. This is part of why they have fallen out of use. Even dogs rarely get tattoos anymore.

I think spay tatoos are the same way except on the chest rather than the ear.

Older tatoo
True. The sister of the boy she's all black and getting fixed on the 1st so I'm not sure how or where they're putting it since she also needs to have the umbilical hernia fixed at the same time. The shelter is fixing her for free since I did fosters to adopt with both babies. Part of me wants to tell them no tattoo since I see what Raven is going through. I imagine that Pantou, the sister, will be even more inclined to try to mess with it given how much bigger her scar will be with the spay. I honestly don't know why they feel tattooing is a good thing, cuz you can definitely tell looking at a cat whether boy or girl that they've been fixed. At least every cat I've had you could as well as others I've known over the years. With your cat, how long ago did they do the tattoo in the ear being she's all black?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow! I remember when they used to do that. Was she ever bothered by it?
True. The sister of the boy she's all black and getting fixed on the 1st so I'm not sure how or where they're putting it since she also needs to have the umbilical hernia fixed at the same time. The shelter is fixing her for free since I did fosters to adopt with both babies. Part of me wants to tell them no tattoo since I see what Raven is going through. I imagine that Pantou, the sister, will be even more inclined to try to mess with it given how much bigger her scar will be with the spay. I honestly don't know why they feel tattooing is a good thing, cuz you can definitely tell looking at a cat whether boy or girl that they've been fixed. At least every cat I've had you could as well as others I've known over the years. With your cat, how long ago did they do the tattoo in the ear being she's all black?
Oh that isn't her, she was brown tabby. But it never realy bothered her until she caught ear mites from our dog. She scratched her ears bare at one point. But it was the mites not the tatoo. Now they often crop the tip of the ear to tell if a cat is fixed from a distance. Microchips are used to identify the animals.

My cat had the series of numbers in her ear because microchips were not common place they were an option though.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What pain medicine did they give you for him? A triple antibiotic cream may help it heal faster and be less itchy

Mv00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh that isn't her, she was brown tabby. But it never realy bothered her until she caught ear mites from our dog. She scratched her ears bare at one point. But it was the mites not the tatoo. Now they often crop the tip of the ear to tell if a cat is fixed from a distance. Microchips are used to identify the animals.

My cat had the series of numbers in her ear because microchips were not common place they were an option though.
Ah okay. Poor baby getting mites☹. Raven is already chipped so I'm surprised they did the tattoo. I thought the chips store all health info, but I could be wrong. With the kittens I know there were different packages with fees but I didn't look too much into it since I didn't want them chipped to begin with. The shelter said I had to get them chipped or else I couldn't adopt them🤦‍♀️. I personally don't agree with that because I have mine inside and anyone who visits knows to keep the doors closed. Their chances of escaping are pretty much 0%. I also trained them to keep away from the outside doors and they abide by it.

Mv00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What pain medicine did they give you for him? A triple antibiotic cream may help it heal faster and be less itchy
They didn't give anything for him to take post op. They gave him some anti-nausea stuff after the procedure, some antibiotic and some pain medicine. I asked them why no medicine for him and they said because he's still a kitten and only 6 months, no medicine is necessary. He seems to be doing well with energy and he's back to his usual self, so I don't think he's in pain. He is just super bothered by the tattoo. He doesn't even really seem to try to get at the scrotal incision which is good, but it's like he has OCD with the tattoo🤦‍♀️. He's absolutely obssessed with licking it and gnawing it, so I know he's really bothered by it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am not sure what microchips store, and it may vary from company to company although I think that most in the US are now HomeAgain.

As for the tattoo...years ago before microchipping, I had three dogs tattooed on their inner thigh. With dogs, the thigh was normally used because anyone stealing the dog, especially bunchers, would possibly cut off the ear. As we know, tattooing is an art and the vet to whom I took the dogs did advertise being specialized in it. All three dogs, but one in particular, had serious skin irritation from the tattoos. I was not happy, but that is not a story that I need to go into. I am sure that, from your description, your cat is uncomfortable.

If you were to use a triple antibiotic cream, and I am not sure if that would mess with the tattoo, do not use on with the pain killer ingredient in it. It is true that some cats are intent on licking off anything that is put on them, so it may not do any good in the long run.

Tattooing is more popular than you might think, although I have never seen it done to any of my cats, pet or feral. It can prevent a second surgery in a female cat...and that has happened to me twice over the years.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure what microchips store, and it may vary from company to company although I think that most in the US are now HomeAgain.

As for the tattoo...years ago before microchipping, I had three dogs tattooed on their inner thigh. With dogs, the thigh was normally used because anyone stealing the dog, especially bunchers, would possibly cut off the ear. As we know, tattooing is an art and the vet to whom I took the dogs did advertise being specialized in it. All three dogs, but one in particular, had serious skin irritation from the tattoos. I was not happy, but that is not a story that I need to go into. I am sure that, from your description, your cat is uncomfortable.

If you were to use a triple antibiotic cream, and I am not sure if that would mess with the tattoo, do not use on with the pain killer ingredient in it. It is true that some cats are intent on licking off anything that is put on them, so it may not do any good in the long run.

Tattooing is more popular than you might think, although I have never seen it done to any of my cats, pet or feral. It can prevent a second surgery in a female cat...and that has happened to me twice over the years.
Micrpchips themseves store very little, just a code really. They are also found in cars with push button start and key fobs for buildings.

The reader is where everything starts, in the case of pets the reader matches the number with a database such as M4S ID and a computer retrieves the information from the cloud. In the case of cars and fobs, the microchip must match the sequence programed into the door lock or the door stays locked/car won't start.

Look famillier?

Binxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone! Quick question, with my boy Raven, who was just fixed this past Wednesday, he got the green tattoo on his lower belly. That seems to be bothering him way more than the incision on his goods. The vet told me just leave it be and it's probably scabbing over. She also said to just keep using the cone for a total of 7-10 days, but quite frankly, I'm trying to not use it so he's more relaxed. It's also bothering him big time, making him itch, causing frustrations, and he's deliberately trying to break it. The two pictures are from last night and the day before. Has anyone done anything post of for a neuter or spay with the tattoo? If so, how long did it take to heal over and stop bothering? Thanks in advance 😊
I had the same thing done to a stray I took in a couple months ago, at first it looked like a raised piece of green rice but it gradually decreased in size and within 2 weeks the area looked normal except for the small green spot.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They didn't give anything for him to take post op. They gave him some anti-nausea stuff after the procedure, some antibiotic and some pain medicine. I asked them why no medicine for him and they said because he's still a kitten and only 6 months, no medicine is necessary. He seems to be doing well with energy and he's back to his usual self, so I don't think he's in pain. He is just super bothered by the tattoo. He doesn't even really seem to try to get at the scrotal incision which is good, but it's like he has OCD with the tattoo🤦‍♀️. He's absolutely obssessed with licking it and gnawing it, so I know he's really bothered by it.
Pain meds are absolutely necessary for after any surgery. Being a kitten has nothing to do with it.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't seen a tattoo on a boy cat. Boy cats - it's fairly blatant if something is missing. If he is feral they might snip his ear to see at a distance that he's fixed, but I doubt that in this situation. It almost looks like they did a female incision/tattoo on accident???

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is common practice that cats get tatoos when spayed/neutered here. (NH/MA) None of our cats at our rescue have had issues with the tatoo. Nor do we use cones.
I have seen neutered male cats who appear to be intact. (esp if neutered later in life) Thus the need for tatoo on males.