Neuter problems. Shelter doesn't know what to do, any ideas?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
took Shawn to the vet for his last booster yesterday and he's doing great! So today is goodbye but sending hi:vibes:m :vibes:good mojo to find a home this weekend! He's so adorable, playful and loving, any human will be lucky to have him.
So I was thinking which cat at the shelter I can help next after I get Shawn's space cleaned, but life has stepped in and made the decision for me :lol3: Yay, that's when I feel like I'm on the right track. When I drop Shawn off today I will pick up a trap to catch an un-neutered guy who has been hanging around a friend's patio since autumn. She has made him a little shelter and has been feeding him, but wants to get him neutered and into a home. So we will try to trap him this weekend. The shelter will be able to help me get him neutered for free (both testicles visible, Yay!).
I have until Tuesday to catch him and am trying to decide if it's better to start as soon as possible, today is Friday, or to wait until the last minute. If I catch him early I will have to house him and get him into a carrier on Tuesday. If I wait til the last minute I may not get him.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd start feeding him in the trap, which you have tied open (so it won't spring).  Do that today until Monday night, when you can untie it so it will close when he steps on the switch plate.

Even if you caught him earlier, it won't hurt him to stay in the trap overnight or even a little longer.  Put a peepad under the trap and cover the trap.  The peepad helps with clean-up and the cover will help calm him down.

Good luck!

And you are right about the universe giving us direction.  Most of us don't listen but the info is there!

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Ondine tha's good advice! Turns out the shelter doesn't have enough cats to justify a S/N clinic this Tuesday. That's a good thing. But it means a few more weeks of freedom for "Fido," ha ha hilarious name my friend gave him. Meantime I will work on improving the enclosure and, weather permitting, expanding the outdoor spaces for the long term fosters.
it was so hard to leave Shawn in a cage at the shelter today, he was crying and crying. He's my first foster to be put up for adoption and he's an awesome cat! But when I left they were showing him to an old farmer fellow, and if that doesn't work he will go to one of the adoption centers tomorrow. I will post when he gets adopted.

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great news! Shawn got adopted within hours of going back to the shelter. His time in a cage is done!:clap: