Neuter incision post-surgery looks normal or not?

MidnighMeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey. I got my cat neutered yesterday and I noticed that his wounds are a bit open. It also has also a clear and odorless discharge. I was told by the vet that I should only worry if the discharge has a white or yellow colour and has a foul smell. I'm still a tad bit worried, though. Is it supposed to look like this or not? Thank you for your time.

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hey. I got my cat neutered yesterday and I noticed that his wounds are a bit open. It also has also a clear and odorless discharge. I was told by the vet that I should only worry if the discharge has a white or yellow colour and has a foul smell. I'm still a tad bit worried, though. Is it supposed to look like this or not? Thank you for your time.
:hellosmiley: And welcome to TCS!

Copied from another thread that I answered to : Is it infected??

The incision looks ok to me. It's normal for the surgical site to bleed a little and also the swelling is due to blood filling up the sac. It'll slowly subside in a week or two.

Just take note that there is no yellow pus or foul smelling pus. If there is, it means that the surgical site is infected and you must immediately bring your cat in to the vet.

Keep the surgical site clean and dry. Use a slightly warm damp towel and dab the area after your cat has use the litter box to clean away the litter dust.

The testosterones will take around 8 weeks to leave the system and you'll find 2 flat sac. By then, the fur should have grown back.

It's normal for him to lick the surgical area but make sure he don't over groom the area. A little running and jumping is ok but no wild play.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MidnighMeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It has been four days since my cat was neutered. I think his wounds are starting to scab. I just want to know if it really is scabbing and if it looks normal. Thank you.

Day 1-4

Attachments

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I would take him back to the vet, or at the very least send those pictures to the vet. No, it does not look normal to me.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Comparing your posts, this now looks as if no healing is occurring. I have had male ferals who had to be released a day after neutering start to lick the incision area and have gone so far as to see a brownish crust, but not ever the red oozing and open sores. I would want this checked again.