Neuter Complication 6 Mo Kitten

Mollyjmckinnon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten got neutered 11 days ago and everything healed nicely, but when I got home from work today, Cap was “bleeding” from his stomach area. I immediately took him to the vet and it turns out he has an abscess that was formed from an infection originating from his neuter wound. It bursted today so the blood was a mixture of “material” as the vet called it. He is staying at the vet for the next few days, and they are treating him with hopes it will heal so they don’t have to do surgery.

I’m not on here looking for medical advice, I trust our vet of course, but more to see if anyone else has experienced this. I’m very worried and want him home with me as soon as possible. Keep prayers that he doesn’t need surgery! Please share personal experience if this has happened to your baby!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope your kitten heals up without surgery. Kittens have an amazing ability to heal. I haven't had this happen but it is always a risk. Neuters are minimally invasive but they are invasive so they is always the risk of infection. It is good that you got him to the vet right away so he is getting the treatment that he needs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mollyjmckinnon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you guys so much for your well wishes! Cap update- He’s okay.. they have him on antibiotics and are doing hydrotherapy to clear out the abscess but he has a big whole and a lesion on his stomach from where it burst. He’ll be there for at least another day or two And hopefully they can clear it up so I can bring him home!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Excellent! Keep us posted on his progress, please...we will fret, you know!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mollyjmckinnon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I picked Cap up last night (a day early) because when I called Thursday night to check in on him he still hadn’t eaten anything.. they suggested I come in and bring his food from home and try to sit with him while he eats, but it didn’t work and he was SO DIRTY. I picked him up after work and have been doing the hydrotherapy and administering the antibiotics from home and he’s doing well. He’s my first baby so I’m having a harder time coping than him! The sneaky guy got home and immediately licked his open wound with his cone on, so I had to bring him to get a longer one, but that’s been the only issue!
As a 18 y/o college student with two jobs, I now wish I would have gotten that pet insurance, lol!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm glad he's back home with you, even with that short-cone setback! You're doing a great job, New Mom! And you are here now, with an entire community to help and support you both!