Neurotic behavior

ckhatcher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My adult (2 years) cat has developed a fear of outside, and other funny behavior.  She cries when alone, sometimes, and often stares in space, or at something "not there".  She will NOT go outside with my two other cats, unless I or my roommate is with her.  This has happened in the last three months.  Is there a tranquilizer for cats? I am very serious.  I have tried the infuser with Feliway, calming treats, etc.

Thanks!

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are tranquilizers for cats but they are not recommended; sometimes they can have the opposite effect/affect.
What I do recommend is a visit to the vets: any time there is a change in behavior, a medical problem should be ruled out first.
Her fear of the outside could be something as 'simple' as being suddenly frightened outside, to (starring off in space) a neurological issue. One of the cats could have done something very innocent like (to us humans), but frightful to your cat, especially if she is sensitive/anxious to begin with.
If her behavior seems to bother HER, then something like Prozac might be prescribed. But only after a consulation/visit to the vet..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ckhatcher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok.  Thank you very much.  Guess I need to have her checked by vet.  She is eating fine, and sleeping at night....oh, well.  Never a dull moment with three cats!  CKH

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Ritz. Please rule out any possible medical issues before treating this as behavioral. Let us know how it goes.