Netflix raising their fee by 6 dollars!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now Netflix is making separate charges for streaming and DVD monthly rates, $8 a month for streaming and $8 a month for single DVD mailing. That's $6 more a month! That's a lot! So I hope they improve their DVD mailing selection, as well as streaming, otherwise I may have to say sorry, not worth it anymore

odiakkoh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Holy moly. Well one more reason we're going to cancel on the 26th of this month. We were going to cancel last month but I forgot to do so before our billing day.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
They never implementing Closed Captioning on the Watch Instantly and they promised it last summer!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to mention they have a poor customer service reply and report problems service.....I have had to many issues with streaming that I either can't report or get no response. Like episodes being out of order, sound out of sync from video, movie suddenly ends before the ending (I hate that
)! Not to mention that I received 4 DVDs in a row that were unwatchable, kept skipping or freezing.......
I think this is a mistake for them, they are going to loose a lot of accounts!

odiakkoh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

Not to mention they have a poor customer service reply and report problems service.....I have had to many issues with streaming that I either can't report or get no response. Like episodes being out of order, sound out of sync from video, movie suddenly ends before the ending (I hate that
)! Not to mention that I received 4 DVDs in a row that were unwatchable, kept skipping or freezing.......
Ugh I know what you mean! I was waiting for over a month for them to fix the Dexter episodes, reporting them every single day. According to the comments people have been waiting longer and for all I know, they're still waiting for them lol. I gave up and watched them somewhere else.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are raising prices so that they can increase their selection of both movies on instant watch and on dvd. The production studios have caught on to the fact that this is the way the future is looking so they jacked the cost up for companies like Netflix, Redbox, Cable companies etc. to be able to run their businesses. There is a whole reddit thread going on about this. If you want the link I will share it.

Now Netflix is making separate charges for streaming and DVD monthly rates, $8 a month for streaming and $8 a month for single DVD mailing. That's $6 more a month! That's a lot! So I hope they improve their DVD mailing selection, as well as streaming, otherwise I may have to say sorry, not worth it anymore
I Honestly I will be more than happy to pay the extra money for it. We canceled cable because 99% of the things we want to watch are on netflix or hulu. If its not on those two, half the cable companies have stuff online the next day. $16 a month VS $50 for cable tv...yeah guess which we pick.

I've never had a bad experience with them. The only time our video has sucked has been our internet servers fault, not theirs. We restarted our router and all was well again. And the few times we had a damaged dvd we had another copy or our next in line the next day basically. Although it helps that the shipment center is in the same state...

Originally Posted by Draco

They never implementing Closed Captioning on the Watch Instantly and they promised it last summer!
That will be fixed by the end of the year. http://blog.netflix.com/2011/02/30-o...ntent-has.html

Just trying to get some other opinions out there

odiakkoh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

I Honestly I will be more than happy to pay the extra money for it. We canceled cable because 99% of the things we want to watch are on netflix or hulu. If its not on those two, half the cable companies have stuff online the next day. $16 a month VS $50 for cable tv...yeah guess which we pick.
I guess that's where the difference is. Most of the things we watch on Netflix streaming are available for free on Hulu or other websites. We pretty much pay for the convenience of being able to stream it through our ps3 plus a show/movie here and there that aren't available for free anywhere. Not worth paying $8 on its own if I'm already paying $11 for 2 dvds. I rather pay the $6 to get local channels.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At first I was outraged, but I watch more stuff on Instant than I do on DVD now anyway, so $7.99 for instant isn't too bad. We'll cut back to 1 rather than 2 DVDs unlimited, and the cost will stay pretty much the same.

They will be moving more to Instant, which is understandable - there's more issues with DVDs, so it makes sense.

It's still a lot cheaper than a night at the movies, and given we have about 300 movies in our DVD queue and maybe 80 in our Instant queue (plus a bunch of TV series), we've never had issues trying to find something to watch.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gary and I have the habit of watching tv shows from Episode 1. We will not start midway through a season. We actually just finished LOST tonight! And I watch both Netflix and Hulu at work. We were actually debating on getting Hulu+ too so that we can watch the few shows that arent on netflix or that we keep up with the next day instead of waiting for the end of the season.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will consider keeping the streaming, but feel that it is unfair to pay only 2 dollars less a month then I did when I could watch a couple DVDs a month, according to what they offer and if it wasn't damaged......... I canceled my cable last year, and only pay for RR, plus Netflix. With this increase it is close to another internet provider, say DSL and Dish network........I think all to often these companies think 'us customers stupid' and won't take the time to not only save a buck but to stop waisting our money.....

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've never had an issue w/ Netflix - DVDs arrive promptly, never had one damaged. We've had it probably 1.5 years?
We may drop down in how many DVDs we receive, as we just don't watch that many anymore.....we do watch instantly fairly often.

And IMO, w/ everything else in the world getting more $$, doesn't surprise me they raise their prices, too.

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
im pretty sure we are dropping down to the $5.99 2 dvds per month limited plan.... im not paying $16 a month for movies, i rather GO to the movies every 2 months with mu husband on a date nite instead

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shipping DVDs is an outdated business model that they need to transition off of and encourage streaming.

It is very expensive to produce a physical copy of a DVD, store it, sort it, mail it, receive it back, sort it, replace it if its damaged, and repeat. Restamping damaged BluRay disks is particularly pricey, and all but a few less intelligent or painfully honest Ned Flanderers will actually admit that they were the ones that damaged the disk and will pay for it out of pocket, and for the rest there is no way to prove it wasn't cracked or scratched in shipment. And when people fail to return disks, it is of no value to them, and Netflix pays for number of licenses it has in circulation at any given time, so it is a lose-lose situation.

It costs only around 1-2cents though to distribute media digitally, and there are no real incidental costs. If they were to implement a P2P network system, as is done for World of Warcraft for example (well, and 99% of piracy), their costs would be virtually nil.

Netflix has essentially encouraged streaming and discouraged DVD shipment by reducing the cost of streaming and increasing the cost of DVD shipment, a wise move IMO.

The problem though is that their media library isn't as complete for streaming, but that is NOT Netflix's fault, its the fault of the media industry as they hold the rights and many refuse to grant a license for online distribution. Their greed is going to bite them in the butt in the long term.

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

capt_jordi's whole post
I completely agree. It's frustrating from a pocketbook standpoint but I have never had a single problem and Netflix is something I use every single day because I don't have cable. I'm a documentary junkie and they have a huge selection. Plus, more & more things are being added to streaming, so I'm not jumping ship.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I'd go with the streaming if they all had closed captioning. 80% by end of the year is not good enough for me.. I want 100%. I don't want to be disappointed if there's a movie I really want to watch and it does not have CC.

I'm going to cancel. not worth it anymore, I barely watch movies anymore either

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is no way I will ever pay for movies OR my favorite shows ever again when everything is available for download for free these days.

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kailie

There is no way I will ever pay for movies OR my favorite shows ever again when everything is available for download for free these days.
Do you mean illegally? Too much risk involved in that. I don't want a virus OR five years in federal prison. And if you think it can't happen to you, I refer you to this video.