nervously waiting

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

baynor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everybody for being soooo supportive. I now have 5 kittens that are doing well and nursing. Birth weights between 103g and 125g.
My big question now is... Can labor stop?
Her last kitten was born five hours ago, but I can feel another one. So I'm not sure exactly what I should do.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 Can labor stop?
Her last kitten was born five hours ago, but I can feel another one. So I'm not sure exactly what I should do.
Yes, labor can stop even several hours (occasionally even days - seldom but happens).  It can also be, she is somewhat swollen there inside.  Many forumist are in such a position, they think one may be left inside, and are nervous.

Phone your vet and ask, it is the safest. She will know what follow up questions to give.

But the normal rule of thumb, is:

If the mom is content, calm, busy with her children and no visible problems, you watch but dont need to panic.

It is if she is visibly in distress, unfruitful labor, verry tired, have fever, bleedings or anything like that, you must contact the vet, and be ready to rush her in.

Good luck!

mamav

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We thought Sid had another one in there too. But it was just swollen and her pooch she'd put on from being pregnant, it soon went down.

Glad all of the babies are doing okay!

baynor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not really worried, as she seems content with the little ones nursing right now. But I am pretty sure that like five minutes after the last one that I felt another head in there moving around.
I am just going to keep an eye on her for now.
Not panicing yet.

baynor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
#1 @ 0450 white female 103g
#2 @ 0615 white male 115g died at birth
#3 @ 0640 white male 116g
#4 @ 0700 grey male 114g
#5 @ 0725 grey and white female 111g
#6 @ 0815 black and white female 125g

they are so pretty and the last one looks just like her mom.
I will past pics, but I am letting everyone rest right now.

kris78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A nice variety of colors for one litter, and it sounds like the 5 of them are doing great! Really sorry to hear about the boy who didn't make it. When I read your message about him I was worried for the ones that weren't born yet, but I'm relieved to see they're all doing so well. Was there anything in particular wrong with the little male that didn't make it?

baynor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No. He was perfect. I am thinking that maybe he was just in the birth canal too long.?? She really worked hard and long to get him out. I just don't know. I worked on him for thirty minutes after he was born, but he never revived.

baynor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: colors...my white boy is more of a buff color and my grey and white girl is prob. a dilute calico. Im thinking i see some cream on her.
Other than that they are doing great.