Nervous about spinal tap

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm back and I survived.

Laying flat for 24 hours sucks. Very uncomfortable. I went to my side and of course ended up with a spinal headache.
It wasn't the worst pain I've ever had, but definitely wasn't comfortable.

Probably the worst part was when we were back in pre-op and the lab had sent the results back to them, which is usually really bad. And of course, my neurologist is out of town, and she couldn't get in touch with any other neurologists. She got in touch with the radiologist who did the puncture, and he said it wasn't an emergency or anything to worry about right now, so we finally got to leave.

So now we just have to wait a week and a half to find out the results

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad to hear that the test went alright. I have had a spinal tap before and I know they aren't fun.

Here are vibes that you don't go crazy waiting for your test results and that everything is good.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well I'm glad it didn't go too bad! You must be so relieved to get it out of the way. Now to cross our fingers for the results

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, it has taken longer than the 24 hours they said for the headaches to stop when I was upright for too long, but they have stopped. Annie helped - I went in and laid down on the futon in the computer room and she laid down and snuggled on/with me the almost the whole time.
She's such a sweetie. Still sore in the lower back area, but I understand that's normal.

I will say this - if you ever have to get a spinal tap and they give you the option of doing it with a radiologist - DO IT! The actual procedure was almost nothing. I laid flat on my stomach, he took a couple x-rays and marked my back. The worst part was the numbing stuff, which did burn for a second or two when it was injected. Other than that, all I felt was literally just some pressure when the needle went in. Even the radiologist said that the procedure has gotten a bad rap because of the bad experiences people have when it's done in an office. It may be cheaper in the office, but the ease of the procedure makes it totally worth it IMO.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad to know that the procedure is over and you are safe at home.
Annie is your loving nurse Heidi.

Vibes on the way for your results.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heidi, I'm glad to hear that you're back and you made it through OK, and that Annie is being a good nurse for you. Hopefully it won't take quite as long to get the results back. I think they told me it would be a week and a half to two weeks, but I heard from my neurologist three or four days later.

Sending loads of vibes for good news in the results.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Heidi,

I'm so relieved that it was a better experience for you than what others had been through ! I am sending more vibes until you are 100%