Nellie (one Of My Favourite Pics)

kalico

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's my girl. She joined our family when I was 10 - after I picked her up from the litter and she fell asleep in my hands.

Nellie kept me company for nearly 17 years, seeing me through five schools, one sports career, various family emergencies, late night and last-minute papers, you name it. She was the first thing I saw in the morning and the last thing I saw each night. My little nap/Netflix buddy.

Nellie was diagnosed with congestive heart failure at the end of July, and we made the decision to have her euthanized in the middle of January. Medications helped her through the last six months, but there came a point when her breathing took (another) nose dive, and she became skin and bones. I try to remember her when she was healthy, playful, and full of energy (as much as napping cats can be full of energy).

I think about her every day. I didn't know it was possible to miss a little animal this much. I have a few thousand photos of her (don't we all), but this is one of my favourites. She always sat on the stool next to me if I was at our kitchen counter.

My fluffy gal, she still looked like a kitten in her golden years. Soft little head, beautiful calico colours, and big gold eyes. Whenever I came home, the first thing I'd do was pick her up and we'd sit at the bay window. Miss her so, so much.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a lovely cat she was, and what a lovely relationship you two had.
Thank you for sharing with us, I know that I love her even now.
RIP darling baby, you fulfilled your catly duties even more than most.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Little Nellie, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

What a beautiful girl she was, and is, and always will be. Love does not die, you know, it only changes form and continues on, still Love. And Love abides. Nellie is still near you, unseen, but perhaps felt in the quiet times. Because Love abides, always, forever, Love abides.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you lost that longtime buddy and sweetheart, but she is healthy again and just fine, no more issues, and you will see her again someday and it will be wonderful.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am sorry for your loss, hold on to the memories as memories last forever.

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Rest in eternal peace, beautiful Nellie. You will always be loved and remembered by your family whom you gave too many happy memories to live by everyday.

My heart goes out to you K kalico . I do pray that one day you will have to remember Nellie with more of a smile on your lips, than of grief. Hang in there.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The loneliness we feel when they leave us is all encompassing. To have them so many years in our presence is like an extension of ourselves, a part of us. We shared our life's journey with them and now they must follow another path. But that path will forever parallel your own because the love you shared is spiritual, so eternal. Precious Nellie will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers. What made her who she was is returned to nature where it began, and a part of it will be forever a treasured part of your own heart and soul. Love like that cannot die, "death cannot take that which never dies".
In time your precious memories will bring you comfort instead of tears, and you will find joy and happiness in life once more, just as she would want for the one she loves so very much. Just as you would want for her if you were the first to go. We cannot change the past but we can use it to prepare for the future. Use the legacy of love she left you to build upon and bring sunshine into your life by opening your heart to others. You must be strong to not let her death crush your soul and affect your ability to open your heart. Grief is a darkness that must be fought against, or it will consume and change your life forever.
To have known and loved that sweet girl was meant to be. To have never met her at all is unthinkable. So though it hurts so very badly to have her go, you have gained a priceless treasure beyond compare......
My heart goes out to you, I know how much this hurts. Please take care of yourself and surround yourself with those who understand...RIP dear Nellie. You were so beautiful in this life, and that much more in the next. You will never be forgotten and eternally held securely in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

+Jeffrey+

Lady G. & Kobe (Gone But Not Forgotten!)
Young Cat
Purraise
kalico, I too am very sorry for the loss of your precious Nellie. She is a beautiful cat! And I truly do feel your pain. I lost my dear, little girl on January 14, and I am still very upset over it. Oh, my goodness, I miss her dearly! They are such a huge part of our lives, and when they're gone, a part of us goes with them.

And that is an excellent photo of Nellie! I love it! I also took a lot of photos and videos of my sweet, little girl, but I wish I had taken a lot more.

Wishing you the very best.

The loneliness we feel when they leave us is all encompassing. To have them so many years in our presence is like an extension of ourselves, a part of us. We shared our life's journey with them and now they must follow another path. But that path will forever parallel your own because the love you shared is spiritual, so eternal. Precious Nellie will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers. What made her who she was is returned to nature where it began, and a part of it will be forever a treasured part of your own heart and soul. Love like that cannot die, "death cannot take that which never dies".
In time your precious memories will bring you comfort instead of tears, and you will find joy and happiness in life once more, just as she would want for the one she loves so very much. Just as you would want for her if you were the first to go. We cannot change the past but we can use it to prepare for the future. Use the legacy of love she left you to build upon and bring sunshine into your life by opening your heart to others. You must be strong to not let her death crush your soul and affect your ability to open your heart. Grief is a darkness that must be fought against, or it will consume and change your life forever.
To have known and loved that sweet girl was meant to be. To have never met her at all is unthinkable. So though it hurts so very badly to have her go, you have gained a priceless treasure beyond compare......
My heart goes out to you, I know how much this hurts. Please take care of yourself and surround yourself with those who understand...RIP dear Nellie. You were so beautiful in this life, and that much more in the next. You will never be forgotten and eternally held securely in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!
Beautiful post! Bless you!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2E897871-7431-4EDC-9C8F-B3D86F23D1E1.jpeg
:alright:I’m so sorry for your loss! Letting your friend go so they do not have to suffer is never easy. To help ease any unjustified guilt you might be feeling, you did the right thing. I read the quote of “ If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.” It is true! Another one talked about leaving paw prints on your heart .... I know my beloved punk left more than just a few paw prints on my heart! I still miss him, over time you will remember more of the joy she brought you.
:vibes::grouphug2: