Neighbor's Neglected Kitty

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just moved to a new apt complex and there is a neglected neighbor's kitty. He's getting fed and is an indoor cat but I still say he's neglected. Why? He looks like a freakin skeleton!! My neighbor was drinking her wine and taking a leisurely walk in our indoor apartment hallway with her cat. I saw this cat before when we were moving in and I only really saw his face. Today I saw his entire body while I was walking to my apt after I got home from work..and his hips were so protruded and he had a tiny waist. He looked like a starving cat! Shocked, I asked my neighbor what was wrong with him and she said she doesn't know. She hasn't taken him to the vet and he's been loosing weight for several months now. He's 15 years old so I mentioned the possibility of hyperthyroidism and told het about the gels, pills and radioactive treatment. Her demeanor was like "Oh crap he's really sick I guess since you noticed." I told her it may cost up to $2k for the radioactive iodine and it seemed like he wasn't worth it to her since he's "old." She asked me if I would spend $2k and I said absolutely. I informed her that 15 isn't extremely old and he still has some life in him. She agreed he could have 5 more years or so. Even if it isn't hyperthroidism I hope I still caused her to realize that he needs to go to the vet. But really I just hope she even remembers the conversation because she was definitely tipsy. It just breaks our hearts since we have seen this cat a few times and we like him. How can you take care of a pet for nearly 15 years but not take him to the vet when he's looking like a skeleton?? And the people who live in my apartment are not poor. The rent is expensive. People who live here are at least solidly middle income. The average cost of a car in the parking garage is like $35k. And really it didn't seem like she didn't actually have the money to help her cat, it just seemed like he wasn't worth it.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good that you brought his condition to her attention.

Next time you see her.....or, even make a point of seeing her, and tell her that there are also far less expensive treatments (pills and transdermal ointment) for hyperthyroidism - if that's the problem - but, that he needs to see the Vet asap.

No, she may not be "poor", but her values will differ from yours.....and the difference between $2K and $200......that could make all the difference.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good that you brought his condition to her attention.

Next time you see her.....or, even make a point of seeing her, and tell her that there are also far less expensive treatments (pills and transdermal ointment) for hyperthyroidism - if that's the problem - but, that he needs to see the Vet asap.

No, she may not be "poor", but her values will differ from yours.....and the difference between $2K and $200......that could make all the difference.
Yes..I'm going to have to make sure she remembers the conversation. At this point he just needs to get to a vet to get a diagnosis since he's obviously unwell.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And the people who live in my apartment are not poor. The rent is expensive. People who live here are at least solidly middle income. The average cost of a car in the parking garage is like $35k.
It's not fair to assume that just because someone lives in a expensive apartment building that he or she is able to afford the market rate rent and nice cars. Many "expensive" apartments have a certain number of units set aside as affordable housing for people who have an income less than then Area Median Income for that city.

Maybe the neighbor really can't afford an expensive vet bill because of finances. Point her to some low cost vet clinics in the area. Banfield offers a free first vet exam but the testing and treatment the cat may likely need are additional costs. You can also point the neighbor to this: No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

If the neighbor just won't take the cat to a vet, even if finances are not an issue, I don't think there's much you can do. Not sure if animal control or the local rescue would check on the cat's well being if an anonymous report is made.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not fair to assume that just because someone lives in a expensive apartment building that he or she is able to afford the market rate rent and nice cars. Many "expensive" apartments have a certain number of units set aside as affordable housing for people who have an income less than then Area Median Income for that city.

Maybe the neighbor really can't afford an expensive vet bill because of finances. Point her to some low cost vet clinics in the area. Banfield offers a free first vet exam but the testing and treatment the cat may likely need are additional costs. You can also point the neighbor to this: No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

If the neighbor just won't take the cat to a vet, even if finances are not an issue, I don't think there's much you can do. Not sure if animal control or the local rescue would check on the cat's well being if an anonymous report is made.
She didn't say she didn't have the money for a vet visit, although that might very well be the case. Her attitude was basically like "Oh dear, is he really that sick?" It just sounded like his condition didn't cause her concern. But since I pointed it out to her she might be more convinced he needs medical attention. Thank you for that link. I'll check it out in case the next time I talk to her, the conversation heads towards her mentioning financial hardship.