Neighbor’s Cat Has Adopted Me!!!

Ashleyannmerk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Happy New Year’s Eve everyone! I’m new this the site and I posted the other day and got wonderful feedback and advice, so I thought I’d ask about another dilemma I’m facing with my new kitty.

A neighbor’s cat started coming over in September and we would feed her everyday and got her a heated pad and a kitty house and she basically lived on our front porch for a few months. We brought her to the vet (we thought she was a stray) and we had her scanned and it turns out she lived a few houses down. I was texting with her owner - a very sweet lady - and I’d walk her home on cold nights once it started getting a little too cold for her to sleep outside and her owner told me I could bring her inside but I have a family of bratty dauchshunds so that wasn’t happening. Eventually, her owner stopped answering so I cleaned out the heated garage, put a couch and tv in there and made her a little bedroom/playroom. Our garage is in the backyard and there’s another driveway connected to it so she likes to go out and play on the blacktop and only occasionally now goes out and explores the neighborhood, which I hate but she’s been doing it for 6 years so I’m slowly trying to break that habit. She has more toys than my 5 dogs combined along with scratching posts, an activity tree, play stations, self groomer, litter box, and we even have a security camera set up so I can check on her throughout the night or when I’m not home.

My dilemma is I want to bring her inside because sometimes she’ll stand by the door leading into the house just waiting for me. She wants to come in but her nails are SOOOO sharp and the few times we’ve tried to bring her and the dogs together, she’s swatted them with claws in but they still peek out because they’re so bad. I can’t bring her to the vet though because I don’t have her medical records. Her owner hasn’t answered about her coming home on cold, rainy, or snowy nights and she’s been sleeping here every single night since we let her in the garage. When we first got her, she was much thinner and was clearly unhappy and anxious (I think because there’s young children in her old home and you can tell she’s not a fan of kids) and she had scabs all over her ears and licked her arms completely raw. I’m posting before and after pictures of her. Her owner’s husband is a cop so I’m nervous if I ask if I can keep her, they’ll come take her. I just want her to be happy and I think being able to come inside would make her happy. What do I do??!! My whole family is so in love with her and I am so nervous I’ll have cops and animal control knocking on my door one day. She started coming over a few days after my sister passed away so in a way we feel as though my sister sent her to help us mourn, which she most certainly has. How do I make this precious kitty mine and get me legal rights?

0E465B02-2D58-43E4-A13E-E142A7550ED0.jpeg

0E21E8F2-7D17-4D4C-9905-A0383697FB59.jpeg

BF55FE13-3E0C-4470-B09C-24A603588DA2.jpeg

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Bless you for taking this poor neglected girl under your wing; she's clearly much better off with you than with her "owner".

It occurs to me that the "very sweet lady" has already given this little darling to you, without actually putting it into words. The first sign was telling you that you could bring "her" kitty inside for shelter. In so doing, she passed the responsibility to provide shelter over to you. The second sign is that she is no longer showing any interest in the cat, given that she won't reply when you try to reach her. She may be more enthusiastic about giving up ownership than you think, so I would just ask her if you can keep the cat. Include an offer to pay for her and get a receipt so you can prove ownership in the future, should the issue arise. True, you shouldn't have to pay a thing considering how much you have done already, but often the offer of payment overcomes any reluctance the "owner" may feel about giving up the cat. The main thing is that you not give a hint of criticism about the current owner's behavior to her - if she gets defensive she may refuse to give her up.

In terms of taking her to the vet - you don't need the cat's medical records to take her in and have her checked out and her nails clipped.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashleyannmerk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Like you said, I’m concerned if I ask she may feel as though I’m criticizing her and get defensive. I just don’t want to worry that one day they’re gonna take her because I know I’d land myself in jail for refusing to hand her over. I was thinking about offering her money but I don’t know what an appropriate amount is. The one time I brought her to the vet I asked them to scan her and then when they saw she had an owner, they refused to any type of a checkup on her and they were pretty stern about it. My mom said when she brings the dogs to get groomed, they ask for the medical records to make sure they had their shots and vaccinations. We are just so in love with this little girl and she’s sooo in love with us so I don’t want to ask to keep her, then the lady freak out and demand for her back since she’s been with us every night for the past few weeks. My mom thinks I should reach out a few more times offering to walk her home so that I have proof that I contacted her over the course of a few months and when I heard nothing back, I assumed she had abandoned the cat. I plan on moving out of my parents next year when I graduate college and I want to bring her with me so I really want to get this settled. I also don’t want to get any more attached (not sure if that’s possible) and I don’t want her getting any more attached then breaking both of our hearts. Just the transformation she’s had since September clearly shows how happy she is with me and I’m so scared what may happen to her mentally if she loses me because she is very very sensitive. I appreciate your help because I am so confused on what the best course of action is at this point!

Bless you for taking this poor neglected girl under your wing; she's clearly much better off with you than with her "owner".

It occurs to me that the "very sweet lady" has already given this little darling to you, without actually putting it into words. The first sign was telling you that you could bring "her" kitty inside for shelter. In so doing, she passed the responsibility to provide shelter over to you. The second sign is that she is no longer showing any interest in the cat, given that she won't reply when you try to reach her. She may be more enthusiastic about giving up ownership than you think, so I would just ask her if you can keep the cat. Include an offer to pay for her and get a receipt so you can prove ownership in the future, should the issue arise. True, you shouldn't have to pay a thing considering how much you have done already, but often the offer of payment overcomes any reluctance the "owner" may feel about giving up the cat. The main thing is that you not give a hint of criticism about the current owner's behavior to her - if she gets defensive she may refuse to give her up.

In terms of taking her to the vet - you don't need the cat's medical records to take her in and have her checked out and her nails clipped.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ You are now officially a "cat person " . Congratulations !
If this kitty is tame and clam you can try nail clipping. I do all my own cats. The best time is when they are resting or sleeping . By the time they wake I am mostly finished. Most of them let me give a claw trim without too much fuss .
I have several cats just like yours. Adorable little devils ...
Best wishes to you ! `:redheartpump::petcat:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I'm afraid I cut my reply to you a bit short, especially at the end. That's what happens when you have a cat who wants attention and won't take no for an answer!

Yes you can take her in for an exam and to have her nails clipped without medical records but if you do so, the vet will vaccinate her. It's the law in many states, plus many vets will only treat cats if they are current on their shots. It does mean that you run the risk of unnecessarily vaccinating her so you'd need to first read up on the impact of doing so.

In terms of taking her in, you have two choices. You can take her in without getting approval first from the so-called owner, in which case you'd need to go to a different vet who is unfamiliar with the situation. It doesn't sound like you have to resort to that, however. The "owner" is probably not going to object to you taking her into the vet, especially if you are paying for everything. It's hard to know for sure but she hasn't given off a possessive vibe so far. I would just ask her.

Having said all that, JamesCalifornia JamesCalifornia is right - you can try clipping her nails yourself. Here is an article describing the process: How To Best Take Care Of Cat Claws Check YouTube as well - there are a lot of good videos out there that show you how it's done.

About getting clear ownership of her, if you are uncomfortable asking for her, then you'll have to look into the legal means available for claiming ownership of a cat on the basis of it being abandoned and/or neglected. The best person to help you with this is a lawyer but since many offer a free initial consultation, you might get the information you need free of charge. One thing that will really help you is if you have records showing that you are responsible for her vet care. Also keep records of every time you have tried without success to reach the woman who is technically her owner. Record keeping is essential in a situation like this.

Finally: You mention that you aren't clear how much money to offer, if you decide to go that route. I'd offer between $50 and $100. This is enough money to tempt the present owner while also making clear that you respect her claim on the cat.

Ashleyannmerk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well you see, one of the things I absolutely love about my little peanut is her sassiness and stubbornness. If she doesn’t wanna do something, she’s not going to do it and she’s going to let me know she doesn’t wanna do it and that she’s annoyed I’m even trying. That’s what makes me very nervous to try to clip her nails, especially since it seems like she’s never had them done before. And yes, I’m officially a cat lady!!! I never ever thought I’d see the day but it’s because I never really understood them! She is so intelligent and loyal and my sister was watching her while I worked tonight and my sister said she was waiting at the door for me for over an hour then finally gave up and went to sit by my sister and fell asleep. My family makes fun of how attached we are to each other!!!

~ You are now officially a "cat person " . Congratulations !
If this kitty is tame and clam you can try nail clipping. I do all my own cats. The best time is when they are resting or sleeping . By the time they wake I am mostly finished. Most of them let me give a claw trim without too much fuss .
I have several cats just like yours. Adorable little devils ...
Best wishes to you ! `:redheartpump::petcat:

Ashleyannmerk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No problem! Trust me I know the feeling!! She constantly needs me around or she waits by the door meowing :( I’m going to try going to reach out to her owner a few more times saying “I have her and she’s safe but I can try to walk her home if she wants” which I’m sure she won’t respond to as usual. Then I think I’ll tell her I want to bring Ari to get clipped and can I have her medical records and go from there. I’ve been looking up the laws but there’s not as much regarding cats. She’s chipped and one website said if an owner chips their pet but lets them outside, they are letting them outside with the clear expectation of them returning or being returned home. But then another site said abandonment is when a cat is left for 15 days and she’s been here almost constantly for a few weeks and has slept here every night. It’s such a complicated situation and I appreciate everyone’s help!! I’m so distraught over losing my little baby and I just don’t think I could let her go back to a home she wasn’t happy in.

I'm afraid I cut my reply to you a bit short, especially at the end. That's what happens when you have a cat who wants attention and won't take no for an answer!

Yes you can take her in for an exam and to have her nails clipped without medical records but if you do so, the vet will vaccinate her. It's the law in many states, plus many vets will only treat cats if they are current on their shots. It does mean that you run the risk of unnecessarily vaccinating her so you'd need to first read up on the impact of doing so.

In terms of taking her in, you have two choices. You can take her in without getting approval first from the so-called owner, in which case you'd need to go to a different vet who is unfamiliar with the situation. It doesn't sound like you have to resort to that, however. The "owner" is probably not going to object to you taking her into the vet, especially if you are paying for everything. It's hard to know for sure but she hasn't given off a possessive vibe so far. I would just ask her.

Having said all that, JamesCalifornia JamesCalifornia is right - you can try clipping her nails yourself. Here is an article describing the process: How To Best Take Care Of Cat Claws Check YouTube as well - there are a lot of good videos out there that show you how it's done.

About getting clear ownership of her, if you are uncomfortable asking for her, then you'll have to look into the legal means available for claiming ownership of a cat on the basis of it being abandoned and/or neglected. The best person to help you with this is a lawyer but since many offer a free initial consultation, you might get the information you need free of charge. One thing that will really help you is if you have records showing that you are responsible for her vet care. Also keep records of every time you have tried without success to reach the woman who is technically her owner. Record keeping is essential in a situation like this.

Finally: You mention that you aren't clear how much money to offer, if you decide to go that route. I'd offer between $50 and $100. This is enough money to tempt the present owner while also making clear that you respect her claim on the cat.
Tr

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I really do think that they might be very up to it if you ask to be the new owner. Just make sure to express it to them that "you are very attached to her", or "you have really bonded with her". If you say those things it will reassure them that you don't want her because of their neglect, but that you want her for emotional reasons. I think in the end it will be best for all of you when it's clear who the actual owner is.

Ashleyannmerk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really hope so!! The lady seems very nice but she has small children and other pets and I think Ari just wants a peaceful home without young kids trying to play with her. She also loves being the center of attention and I believe her old family just got a cat or kitten so she probably loves coming here where I treat her like she’s my little baby!