Neighbor's Cat adopted me

mysticchyna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I never had a cat before, always been a dog person. A year and 3 months ago we moved into a house with close family friends and they have a senior cat who has always been an indoor/outdoor cat. We live in the basement apartment and the rest of the household is upstairs with their dogs and said cat. Months went by and I pretty much ignored the cat but he would greet me and stuff and then started jumping in my lap when I'd be outside on the patio. This went on for a while then he started nibbling on me and head butting me. He's a very skinny cat, he's like 15 years old, anyway I started feeeding him under the porch so the dogs wouldn't get the food  The cat then somehow convinced me after a few months of this to by the winter let him inside.  It's summer now and he pretty much lives downstairs and I feel bad because we had to get a litter box and now he really really thinks he has two homes. Problem is he is spending less and less time with his real family upstairs.  I Put him outside and he does go upstairs to eat and sleep a bit but it's becoming less and less. It's odd because I've never had a cat before and he will wait for hours and hours on the patio to be let in.  He sleeps, eats and interacts with us almost all day.  Not sure if this can be undone. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I never had a cat before, always been a dog person. A year and 3 months ago we moved into a house with close family friends and they have a senior cat who has always been an indoor/outdoor cat. We live in the basement apartment and the rest of the household is upstairs with their dogs and said cat. Months went by and I pretty much ignored the cat but he would greet me and stuff and then started jumping in my lap when I'd be outside on the patio. This went on for a while then he started nibbling on me and head butting me. He's a very skinny cat, he's like 15 years old, anyway I started feeeding him under the porch so the dogs wouldn't get the food  The cat then somehow convinced me after a few months of this to by the winter let him inside.  It's summer now and he pretty much lives downstairs and I feel bad because we had to get a litter box and now he really really thinks he has two homes. Problem is he is spending less and less time with his real family upstairs.  I Put him outside and he does go upstairs to eat and sleep a bit but it's becoming less and less. It's odd because I've never had a cat before and he will wait for hours and hours on the patio to be let in.  He sleeps, eats and interacts with us almost all day.  Not sure if this can be undone
Is the situation a real problem?  You seems fond of the cat, its mutual.  So what is to discuss, is the situation with your neigbours from the upstairs.  Did you talked with  them?  What do thay say?