Neighbor Not Spaying Cat And Multiple Cats Have Gone Missing

boschy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi,
i have noticed that a neighbor of mine never spays their female cats. One of these cats, Muk Muk, has had many litters over the span of 5 years. They now also have another female cat, Bella, who has had about 3 litters.

When I started to notice these neighbors, they had multiple cats running around. Then one day, they all disappeared. I talked to the kids who run outside of the house, and they said they went to their uncle's restaurant property nearby since he had the property for them. Then I noticed Muk Muk, and she has been a fixture for years. All the litters she has birthed have gone to friends or so they say. I talked to the father and urged him to spay them saying it is low cost and would reduce the number of litters. He said he would get her spayed after the summer.

Now it is winter, and Muk Muk has disappeared. I asked where she went, and the kids told me that she was captured by animal control, and their mother does not want her back. Bella is still there and had a litter of 3 males and the kids have told me that the cousins, who live next door, will be taking 2. However, the cousins have had cats that have also disappeared.

I will be talking to the SPCA, but my question is whether these cats are technically their property since these cats have never been to the vet, or so I imagine and I bet you they do not have any documentation saying it is theirs. My thought is to spay and neuter these cats, before they disappear. My worse fear is that these people may be even killing the cats that are undesireable, but I have no proof. However, I volunteer for Spaymart in LA, and kittens are abound in shelters. With their so-called progress of giving all these kittens over the span of 5 years is impossible.

Any thoughts would be much welcomed. Thank you.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure about California animal laws, but in Texas the cats would be considered the neighbor's property. Check your local ordinances for any limit on the number of cats allowed and whether there is any ordinance concerning "free-roaming" pets. It's possible that someone else in your neighborhood has called animal control and they are coming out to confiscate the cats. Probable even, since the kid told you that animal control came and took Muk Muk. Someone had to have called and reported "too many cats".

If you are volunteering yourself to take all the responsibility to spay/neuter all their cats, I would ask them if they mind if you do that. They may be relieved to have someone offer to help. The worst they can say is "No", in which case whoever has been calling animal control will likely continue to do so and the cats will continue to "mysteriously" disappear.

I'd offer to help them, and hope they say "Yes". That would be the easiest solution.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In many areas, including the one that I live in, ownership is proved by veterinary records. If your neighbor has free roaming cats and has never taken them to a vet, and you provide veterinary treatment by spaying them, you can claim legal ownership. And if the neighbor was to complain about your actions, the police would be on your side because cat hoarding is against the law. What is your intention with regard to these cats? Do you want to TNR them? Are they being fed on a daily basis by someone? Are you able to assume responsibility for their daily care if they are not being cared for by someone? Getting input from your local Humane Society would be a good starting point for you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

boschy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure about California animal laws, but in Texas the cats would be considered the neighbor's property. Check your local ordinances for any limit on the number of cats allowed and whether there is any ordinance concerning "free-roaming" pets. It's possible that someone else in your neighborhood has called animal control and they are coming out to confiscate the cats. Probable even, since the kid told you that animal control came and took Muk Muk. Someone had to have called and reported "too many cats".

If you are volunteering yourself to take all the responsibility to spay/neuter all their cats, I would ask them if they mind if you do that. They may be relieved to have someone offer to help. The worst they can say is "No", in which case whoever has been calling animal control will likely continue to do so and the cats will continue to "mysteriously" disappear.

I'd offer to help them, and hope they say "Yes". That would be the easiest solution.
yes, i was thinking about that this morning. also, i do not live in CA. this is Louisiana

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had the same type of situation near me. Here is whoever provides the food and care. Usually vet care will trump just food but only if you also provide food. Animals are usually in the property category which means the quality of care isn't as big a factor as we may like it to be. Not spaying is not neglect unless your country or city specifically say they are.

In my case it finally ended because the number of cats exceeded county regulations and the landlord stepped in to enforce lease pet limits.