neighbor is setting trap (maybe for my cat?)

monika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found my cat in an Animal Control trap in my neighbor's backyard this morning. They were not home so I had to hop the fence to rescue him. But now we are not sure what to do. We are not sure if they set the trap for a racoon, or if they just don't like our cat, which would be so sneaky as they have never told us anything about not liking the cat and keeping our cat out of their yard. So we are not sure if we should confront them, or if we should just be sneaky and keep a close eye on it so if he gets caught in it again we can release him, or maybe we can keep emptying out the food in it or something? We will try to keep our cat in as much as possible but he was born on a farm and does not like to be inside 24/7. But we also worry if we tell them then they will move the trap somewhere far away where we can't find it (or our cat if he gets trapped in there again). Any suggestions? I am really so scared he will get trapped again and we will lose him

I called Animal Control and they told me that if the cat is on their property they are within the law to trap him The thing is, they never told me anything about our cat digging up their garden or anything, and I don't think he does, he just mostly walks around the fence (that I have seen). They set the trap right beside the fence. The problem is that our neighbor has lied to us before. He does stuff like call the city when our grass is too tall, or we park in a way he does not like (on the grass in our front lawn if we have guests over so that they don't get ticketed after a certain hour and then he denies it). BUT.......later I found out from another neighbor that he calls on other neighbors for stupid things so not sure if he will be honest with his.

Any advice on what I can do? Can I somehow deter my cat from going in his backyard or at least from going into the trap?

Thanks so much! I appreciate the advice.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only sure fire way to keep him from being trapped is to keep him inside. That being said, there are products on the market (such as coyote urine) that are supposed to deter cats from areas where they are sprayed. They have to be reapplied often, which may be more of a pain than keeping your cat inside! BTW - if your cat isn't neutered, do that ASAP. That will calm him down and keep him from wandering as well. It won't guarantee that he'll stay on his own property, though.

If you have a fence, you might try cat-proofing it. Again, there are products out there to help keep cat's from jumping over fences. Google "cat proof fencing."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

monika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! How do you cat-proof a fence?

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have anything to say about cat-proofing a fence, but I do have some suggestions to keeping the cat inside.

Do you have cat furniture? Or a space where the can can call its own? Cats love vertical spaces. How about some toys? Bringing an outside cat inside is definitely possible, but you have to make sure the cat is entertained. 

Another option is building a catio in your yard. Is that a possibility?

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please chip your cat. This will dramatically increase the odds that he will be returned to  you if he is turned into animal control.)

I second the catio idea :)

Vader1013

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Keep him inside= no problem. You are the pet owner. It is 100% YOUR responsibility to keep your pet under your control/ on your property.
Your neighbor committed no crime in trapping a roaming animal on his property. YOU committed a crime of trespassing in "hopping the fence".

QUOTE="monika, post: 3361756, member: 59174"]I found my cat in an Animal Control trap in my neighbor's backyard this morning. They were not home so I had to hop the fence to rescue him. But now we are not sure what to do. We are not sure if they set the trap for a racoon, or if they just don't like our cat, which would be so sneaky as they have never told us anything about not liking the cat and keeping our cat out of their yard. So we are not sure if we should confront them, or if we should just be sneaky and keep a close eye on it so if he gets caught in it again we can release him, or maybe we can keep emptying out the food in it or something? We will try to keep our cat in as much as possible but he was born on a farm and does not like to be inside 24/7. But we also worry if we tell them then they will move the trap somewhere far away where we can't find it (or our cat if he gets trapped in there again). Any suggestions? I am really so scared he will get trapped again and we will lose him

I called Animal Control and they told me that if the cat is on their property they are within the law to trap him The thing is, they never told me anything about our cat digging up their garden or anything, and I don't think he does, he just mostly walks around the fence (that I have seen). They set the trap right beside the fence. The problem is that our neighbor has lied to us before. He does stuff like call the city when our grass is too tall, or we park in a way he does not like (on the grass in our front lawn if we have guests over so that they don't get ticketed after a certain hour and then he denies it). BUT.......later I found out from another neighbor that he calls on other neighbors for stupid things so not sure if he will be honest with his.

Any advice on what I can do? Can I somehow deter my cat from going in his backyard or at least from going into the trap?

Thanks so much! I appreciate the advice.[/QUOTE]
Keep

maddies momma

TCS member, Crazy Cat Lady!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lots of sound advice above. I agree, keep him inside or build an outdoor enclosure that he can't escape. Hopefully having been trapped once, he will now avoid the trap knowing what can happen.

tinkerbeltink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you can, keep your cat inside. If not, keep him inside with periodic outside field trips on a leash or in a secure enclosure. Don't assume your neighbor is setting a trap to turn your cat into animal control. He could trap your cat and release him in a remote wooded area or outside your neighborhood. Your cat could end up starving, hurt, or worse.

I found my cat in an Animal Control trap in my neighbor's backyard this morning. They were not home so I had to hop the fence to rescue him. But now we are not sure what to do. We are not sure if they set the trap for a racoon, or if they just don't like our cat, which would be so sneaky as they have never told us anything about not liking the cat and keeping our cat out of their yard. So we are not sure if we should confront them, or if we should just be sneaky and keep a close eye on it so if he gets caught in it again we can release him, or maybe we can keep emptying out the food in it or something? We will try to keep our cat in as much as possible but he was born on a farm and does not like to be inside 24/7. But we also worry if we tell them then they will move the trap somewhere far away where we can't find it (or our cat if he gets trapped in there again). Any suggestions? I am really so scared he will get trapped again and we will lose him

Thanks so much! I appreciate the advice.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmmm...You're the adventurous type Monika.:hyper: Hollywood could cast you for the "Home Alone" remake. I feel your pain. I have a formerly "still running wild" in his blood roaming cat. Hardly a day or night goes by that he does not jump on a temporary perch behind me [oh he's watching me now....and yawning] and whines. I ask him what he wants, and he runs and sits by the door staring at the doorknob. It really breaks my heart thinking about how I have taken alway his outdoor leisure for a time (ie my site name spin on Kidnapper). I have to guard my entry and exits of the front door without fail because he is relentless in his attempts to door dash me. Until I can get something set up for him to spend time outdoors supervised, he will have to be content with the occasional walk'n carry body leash time together. :flail:

I took in this family's outdoor cat that latched onto me because I was kind enough to feed him kibble whenever I passed him walking. Soon after he was given to my care, his family moved away. Whenever I start feeling down on myself, as he is telling me that I am holding him hostage, I recall all the benefits and improvements in life that are his (grrrr...no wonder I can't find dust behind my flat TV!!! GET FROM BEHIND THERE YOU YETI!!) such as frequent veterinarian visits during the year, all the expensive dry and wet foods a cat could ask for and the security of having a loving Papa. He is so spoiled rotten that my TNR and the neighbor's cat are eating his passed-over Weruva cans of food. The best benefit of all for having me as his guardian and gatekeeper is...he wasn't the cat I picked up from the middle of the street dead this past Good Friday that was hit by a car.

As for the case you have presented concerning your neighbor, I would say he is guilty of all charges. When I was a kid, we had a neighbor who was angered at my BFs dog because she barked and chased his truck down the street. One day he stopped, stepped out of the truck and shot this dog dead. Don't take any chances with this guy. Some folks get a little insane with The Second Amendment or Right to Bear Arms, especially when it concerns their residential property.

The only safe option is to keep your baby inside and allow outside only under leash or as suggested by other TCS members. I second having your cat neutered or spayed if they are not. Also, microchip him or her and give them a good reliable safety collar and ID tag. :thumbsup: