Neighbor Across From Me Claims She Has Asthma

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not honestly trying to be a jerk, but I don't see it. I am getting old though. :lol: I see "Neighbor across from me", but that could be across the hall.
Okay, yeah, with everyone else commenting, it could be across the hall. I think we're all putting our personal spin on it. I lived in a condo with five condos in each building and several buildings on the property divided by roads, grass and (in case of the upstairs units) a stair with decks on both sides.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
While it's true that public access channels (store owners/clerks/etc.) can't ask for proof that a Service Dog is a Service Dog, landlords absolutely can require a doctor's note for Service Dogs or ESAs. The wording is: "Landlords can require written verification from the tenant's health care provider that they are disabled but cannot ask for any specifics about the disability."
Weird. HUD's own website that has a Q and A says the landlord can't ask for proof.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi guys! Thanks so much for the reply and i'm digesting a lot of the advice and mucho appreciate the support :) To clarify: she lives across the hallway, but we don't have a shared air system of sorts. It's a really old building, so could also be that as well :u I've taken to vacuuming daily and my boyfriend was kind enough to purchase one of those automated air fresheners as well. Will update you if something does happen again, but I am planning to move out soon, since I'd rather not be a nuisance to anyone. :u thanks again! <3 <3
Thank you for clarifying. :) It sounds like moving is the best option for you but it's great you having been doing what you can in the meantime.:agree: It's easy to want to defend keeping your cats there and I know we've seen enough cases where people lie about things to get their way; but no one wants to be the person that caused someone else a legitimate medical emergency. It could be that her symptoms are most aggravated when spring allergens increase. We dont know for sure ourselves. So it's really a delicate situation.

I think if you were specifically allowed to have cats; it would be worth pursuing or at least investigating whether or not her claims are legitimate. But it sounds like it could backfire and become an unpleasant living situation for you because they are technically not.:nervous:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I really think she means hallway.
Thank you for clarifying. :) It sounds like moving is the best option for you but it's great you having been doing what you can in the meantime.:agree: It's easy to want to defend keeping your cats there and I know we've seen enough cases where people lie about things to get their way; but no one wants to be the person that caused someone else a legitimate medical emergency. It could be that her symptoms are most aggravated when spring allergens increase. We dont know for sure ourselves. So it's really a delicate situation.

I think if you were specifically allowed to have cats; it would be worth pursuing or at least investigating whether or not her claims are legitimate. But it sounds like it could backfire and become an unpleasant living situation for you because they are technically not.:nervous:
I couldn't possible say it any better than that.

Welcome to the site! :wave3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

photosinthesys

( ๑॔˃̶◡ ˂̶๑॓)
Kitten
Purraise
thanks so much everyone! i had posted this half-asleep and wasn't expecting all the replies :) tho if anyone's still reading, i had forgotten to mention i also have neighbors who consistently smoke in the hallways/nearby fire exits, but she doesn't seem to be bothered by them, so now i'm wondering if it's possible to be asthmatic towards one thing but not the other :\ but i digress, thank you for the welcome! :)

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
There are a few different types of asthma, including exercise-induced and allergy-induced. Obviously if she has exercise-induced, the cats aren't an issue. There are asthmatics that smoke. It's probably not the best thing, but they do. If her asthma is allergy-induced and she is allergic to cats, yes, she could have an issue if the condos share the same air system. This would actually be a danger for her. Since it sounds like they don't, there shouldn't be as much of an issue, since you are taking a lot of precautions.

I have pretty bad asthma that is allergy-induced but I can normally keep it under reasonable control. Yes, I am allergic to cats and have one. I do take a lot of precautions, medications and get allergy shots. If I go into an environment where there is a different cat, I can only stay so long before I start to feel the effects. I am also allergic to dogs. I went to my aunt's house at Christmas one year. She has a dog. I was so bad after that I ended up in the emergency room later that night. I have stayed in pet-friendly hotels and have had issues, so I now have to avoid them.

While many people do complain just because they don't like cats, in some cases there is a legitimate health risk and their issues shouldn't be dismissed as just being a cat hater.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
There are a few different types of asthma, including exercise-induced and allergy-induced. Obviously if she has exercise-induced, the cats aren't an issue. There are asthmatics that smoke. It's probably not the best thing, but they do. If her asthma is allergy-induced and she is allergic to cats, yes, she could have an issue if the condos share the same air system. This would actually be a danger for her. Since it sounds like they don't, there shouldn't be as much of an issue, since you are taking a lot of precautions.

I have pretty bad asthma that is allergy-induced but I can normally keep it under reasonable control. Yes, I am allergic to cats and have one. I do take a lot of precautions, medications and get allergy shots. If I go into an environment where there is a different cat, I can only stay so long before I start to feel the effects. I am also allergic to dogs. I went to my aunt's house at Christmas one year. She has a dog. I was so bad after that I ended up in the emergency room later that night. I have stayed in pet-friendly hotels and have had issues, so I now have to avoid them.

While many people do complain just because they don't like cats, in some cases there is a legitimate health risk and their issues shouldn't be dismissed as just being a cat hater.
But on the flip side if someone has an issue with dogs, they just have to deal with it. Dogs are everywhere in public, and not just the service animals. But even if it was limited to service animals, what is more important? Someone with epilepsy who has a seizure dog? Or a child who has a severe dog allergy? Dog lovers have made it where the dog wins, hands down. Why are cats far less important than dogs when it comes to the animal/health issue equation?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But, according to her avatar photosinthesys photosinthesys is in Southeast Asia. What rules and laws do they have there? Do they even have support animals? And any laws that apply to the U.S. would not be the same there.

I agree, however, with letting them stay with a family member until you can move out.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
But, according to her avatar photosinthesys photosinthesys is in Southeast Asia. What rules and laws do they have there? Do they even have support animals? And any laws that apply to the U.S. would not be the same there.

I agree, however, with letting them stay with a family member until you can move out.
Oops. I didn't pay attention to location. My bad.