Needs to find out how to stop cat from playing with feet

stacias

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My youngest cat, Dodger, plays with feet while we are sleeping. Both my husband and I get up very early and work long shifts, so this is very but inconvenience to us. He plays so hard with the feet when bare that he wakes us up. He mouths and pounces them and just has a hayday. Though this leads to problems when you are trying to sleep and your foot comes out from under the cover. Could use some ideas on how to stop.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StaciaS

My youngest cat, Dodger, plays with feet while we are sleeping. Both my husband and I get up very early and work long shifts, so this is very but inconvenience to us. He plays so hard with the feet when bare that he wakes us up. He mouths and pounces them and just has a hayday. Though this leads to problems when you are trying to sleep and your foot comes out from under the cover. Could use some ideas on how to stop.
Many many kittens, do the behavior you described above
. Most kittens outgrow this behavior, but this not a behavior you want to encourage in a kitten. As you already know.

You could rub your feet in Bitter Apple (http://www.bitterapple.com/), Lemons, Limes, and Tabasco sauce. The only clean one I see working is Bitter Apple
. However all the other ones work, in my experience.

Lastly, you could simply close the door to keep the kitten/cat out of the bedroom. I am sure you knew that already

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would he bite so much if you wore socks to bed? Is it just your bare feet that interest him?

x2006nkg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitten does the same thing. I think it's because he gets bored when we're asleep, so he gets excited by the foot movement and thinks it's play time. I've tried to wear socks and that doesn't make any difference. Closing him outside of the bedroom just results in him sadly meowing, so that's no solution either. Maybe try to tuck in the bottom of the comforter or top sheet really tightly so feet won't slip out as easy?

blueorchid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten does this lol. I've been playing with her right before I go to sleep and she doesn't seem as interested in our feet... She stops after the first couple of mins.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could sleep in a sleeping bag for a while, I guess. That way she can't get at your feet and will unlearn the behavior, and once she's lost interest you can go back to regular sheets.

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could sleep in a sleeping bag for a while, I guess. That way she can't get at your feet and will unlearn the behavior, and once she's lost interest you can go back to regular sheets.
Sorry this made me laugh- the things we do to acommodate our children lol.. Bandit does the same thing, I just ignore it...

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh, I have been clawed so many times from kitties attacking my feet while I'm in bed. Silly cats. 

brandy-neka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Depending sometimes Neka will do this to me, I've just learned to tuck my feet in the comforter more. It's usually only when she's under the covers. When she's on top of the comforter she usually just lays against my legs/feet. Although at times she paws at my face too if I'm laying right next to her... that get's annoying sometimes lol

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending sometimes Neka will do this to me, I've just learned to tuck my feet in the comforter more. It's usually only when she's under the covers. When she's on top of the comforter she usually just lays against my legs/feet. Although at times she paws at my face too if I'm laying right next to her... that get's annoying sometimes lol

Your lucky your Savannah does not have as big a "foot fetish" as mine. He loves to rub, lick, and grab my feet. Even at a year and four months old. Does your kitten bite and claw your feet? If so, you might want to stop that.

Now, my Savannah is very delicate with my face. He loves to lick my face, kneed my neck, and put his paw in my mouth. I am very glad he is delicate with my face.

Last edited: