Needs someones opinion.

zoeykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
I'm new to this site. I had a question and hope to get an answer from someone. My significant other has an indoor cat, he had to move 50 minutes away from me and is living in a very large warehouse with living quarters in it, He has his cat with him (she is an indoor only cat) and she has plenty of running around room, even catches an mouse on occasion which is all new to her. He travels back and forth on the weekend to see me and bring kitty to my house so she is not left all weekend alone. She stays in a room in my house and has the back of the house to play in due to me having others cats that are in and outdoor cats. I keep her away from my cats so there's no tension or stress for her while she is here visiting.He is very good to her and make sure she gets the best food and play toys to keep her busy being a indoor cat.
My question is he thinks his cat would be better off living with someone else. she travels back and forth every weekend. I feel she has adapted to it and the only think that is stressful to him and her is the ride in the car.She seems fine with it and is very content when she is here or when she is home with him.She was rescued from him a few years back and is the best loving cat anyone could ask for. I myself don't want him to give her up since he has put so much into her saving her and all. I just wanted to get an opinion on what anyone thinks. Sincerely,
zoeykitty

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I see no reason why she needs to be rehomed. When I was dating my now husband, he lived 3 hrs away. I packed my cat up and took her with me. I also took her with me to visit my dad who lives 6 hours away. I think as long as she's happy, has no behavioral or health complications from the stress, she's fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoeykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. That is my thoughts exactly. I think she will be fine.

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, it sounds like she is fine with the traveling and also like she is a happy cat. I would not rehome her.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. I think that being rehomed after years of living with her "daddy" would be much more stressful than the traveling back and forth.

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Animals are amazingly adaptable. It sounds like she is doing just fine, I wouldn't change a thing.

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If he is still bent on re-homing her, could she maybe just come live with you full time?

zoeykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What about the traveling that's what she hates is the traveling and being in the carrier, as soon as she is put in the carrier and in the car she is crying the entire trip, but as soon as she's in either home she seems fine.

Should we give her something to clam her on the ride or just let her be? It's about 1 to 1.5 hour ride each way.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
does he spend just one night away from home? The cat will be fine overnight by herself too. I leave mine alone over night every weekend or so when I visit my parents and they're fine!

I also echo those posted above :

zoeykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No it's longer more like 2 days to 3 days at times I'm guessing to long, does any one here ever leave there cat that long?

Also we no longer feed dry food and only feed raw and grain free wet so with out someone coming by twice a day I can't see that working and we didn't want to go back to dry.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, look at it this way - if the cat is rehomed, the chances that the new owner sticks with feeding her raw and grain-free wet is pretty slim. Even if your SO left her home alone a weekend, maybe two, a month, overall she'll still be eating better than in a new home!

I can't remember if you said how long this arrangement has been going on, but she could get used to the traveling, at least to where she knows her destination and it won't stress her out as much. I still think that rehoming would be much more stressful for her, and even if you do extensive interviewing and check references for the new owner, you won't have any guarantee of how she'll be treated. Hopefully this is a temporary living situation for your SO.

JMO.

zoeykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree, She will adapt with the travel. When she gets here she fine and when she gets back home shes fine its just the traveling that make her scared. I was thinking of getting a travel pill for her so it's not so stressful for her.

zoeykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So true. I cant see her being with anyone else, she is happy with her daddy.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Feliway/Comfort Zone makes a spray. I spray the carrier and the car before we travel to help calm my kitties down. It helps them be less stressed.

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've left Wessie at home for 4 days and he was fine. Since you don't want to leave dry food, I'd just advise continue doing what you're already doing. Rehoming is much more stressful than a car ride! Sounds like she will get adjusted to it pretty quickly.

zoeykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll get some spray for him to try in the carrier, thanks.

Catbehaviors 4 days wow, I guess Kitty would be fine for 2 or 3 days if we went back to dry for those days.

So what would some of you do if you needed to choose between leaving the cat alone for 2 days 3 tops or travel with the cat each weekend on a 1.25 hour drive each way?