needing some help with my kitten and her eating habits

jamie_02

1 kitty ; 1 year old cat named quinn <3
Young Cat
Purraise
hey all, so a bit of background here, i got quinn a few days ago, when we went to pick her up, the people i bought her from said to feed her 1 packet of whiskas kitten food a day, a quarter of a pack each feeding time, so i followed their advice for the first days, and now i’m regretting it, i was reading the side of the box and saw that it says you should give a kitten less than 3 months 2 1/2 pouches a day, how can i increase her food intake, she’s been having trouble with sleep, extremely hyper and has issues with pooing too, likely both from not enough food, once we get her fully settled we will be switching her off of whiskas as i know its definitely not one of the best foods for her, she’s very playful and hyper, i gave her half a pack for breakfast this morning but she’s left about half of it :ohwell: i’m a very anxious and worried person and i’m just hoping she’s okay, she drinks a bit of kitten milk once a day too, any help and support would be gladly appreciated

catlin.kittes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would consult with her vet, but my vet told me to feed my kitten as much as he wants as long as he is active! Mine is on a good schedule already but he is 5 months old but still gets a lot of food! My big cat has been on a schedule for a year and has been maintaining the whole time!

catlin.kittes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would consult with her vet, but my vet told me to feed my kitten as much as he wants as long as he is active! Mine is on a good schedule already but he is 5 months old but still gets a lot of food! My big cat has been on a schedule for a year and has been maintaining the whole time!
also have had the kitten since 8 weeks*

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
any help and support would be gladly appreciated
A kitten needs proteins and nutrients for growth and these comes from feeding them wet food as wet food contains such ingredients and real meat and wet food keeps them hydrated.

Don't follow what the packet says and from the person you got your kitten from says. Feed the kitten and much as she can eat at one go and feed her 4 - 5 times day. You can never over feed a kitten.

A kitten is full of energy and they burn off calories very fast and that's why the need of feeding her good wet food and a number of times a day is important.
You can feed her wet food meant for kittens as it is good for their formative year. You can also mix some milk meant for kittens and mix it with her food or let her drink at a separate time.

A normal breed cat matures at 1 year old and bigger breeds takes 2 - 4 years to mature. You can feed her with food meant for kittens and slowly transit her over to adult food when she matures for you can feed her food 'Labeled For All Life Stages' now and you don't have to transit her over to wet food when she matures. My boy is on wet food labeled 'For All Life Stages since he was rescued at 3 weeks old till now. He's coming to be 6 year old soon.

So feed her as much as she can eat at one sitting, 4 - 5 times a day. Once she's full, she'll walk away and from there you can roughly gauge the amount for one sitting and adjust according from there.

Once she reaches the age of 7 months onwards, incidentally, all her adult's teeth will be in. From this period she'll go through a phase called 'Growth Spurt'. She'll tend to eat more and this will go on till she's slightly pass her one year and the food intake will slowly taper off.

A kitten need roughly 300 calories a ay and an normal active adult cat needs 200 - 250 calories a day. Calories count is stated on the food packing. If counting calories is complicated, don't worry, just feed her normally and feed her as much as she can eat.

On the poo note, she may be just getting use to eating wet food and she may have the runs for a little while as her system adjust to the food. Also, what she eats, the poop will sought of reflect what she ate, just like us.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jamie_02

Young Cat
Purraise
A kitten needs proteins and nutrients for growth and these comes from feeding them wet food as wet food contains such ingredients and real meat and wet food keeps them hydrated.

Don't follow what the packet says and from the person you got your kitten from says. Feed the kitten and much as she can eat at one go and feed her 4 - 5 times day. You can never over feed a kitten.

A kitten is full of energy and they burn off calories very fast and that's why the need of feeding her good wet food and a number of times a day is important.
You can feed her wet food meant for kittens as it is good for their formative year. You can also mix some milk meant for kittens and mix it with her food or let her drink at a separate time.

A normal breed cat matures at 1 year old and bigger breeds takes 2 - 4 years to mature. You can feed her with food meant for kittens and slowly transit her over to adult food when she matures for you can feed her food 'Labeled For All Life Stages' now and you don't have to transit her over to wet food when she matures. My boy is on wet food labeled 'For All Life Stages since he was rescued at 3 weeks old till now. He's coming to be 6 year old soon.

So feed her as much as she can eat at one sitting, 4 - 5 times a day. Once she's full, she'll walk away and from there you can roughly gauge the amount for one sitting and adjust according from there.

Once she reaches the age of 7 months onwards, incidentally, all her adult's teeth will be in. From this period she'll go through a phase called 'Growth Spurt'. She'll tend to eat more and this will go on till she's slightly pass her one year and the food intake will slowly taper off.

A kitten need roughly 300 calories a ay and an normal active adult cat needs 200 - 250 calories a day. Calories count is stated on the food packing. If counting calories is complicated, don't worry, just feed her normally and feed her as much as she can eat.

On the poo note, she may be just getting use to eating wet food and she may have the runs for a little while as her system adjust to the food. Also, what she eats, the poop will sought of reflect what she ate, just like us.
thank you this was super helpful !!! she pooed yesterday and then actually just did one today, she just seems to poo only once a day haha, she could still be settling in though, she kept sniffing around her bowl after going to the toilet, so i gave her a bit more food as it had been a few hours since she ate and she had had zoomies so probably burnt all her calories off, she’s having a nice snooze in her bed now and will hopefully sleep until lunch :lol: :hearthrob:

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hey all, so a bit of background here, i got quinn a few days ago, when we went to pick her up, the people i bought her from said to feed her 1 packet of whiskas kitten food a day, a quarter of a pack each feeding time, so i followed their advice for the first days, and now i’m regretting it, i was reading the side of the box and saw that it says you should give a kitten less than 3 months 2 1/2 pouches a day, how can i increase her food intake, she’s been having trouble with sleep, extremely hyper and has issues with pooing too, likely both from not enough food, once we get her fully settled we will be switching her off of whiskas as i know its definitely not one of the best foods for her, she’s very playful and hyper, i gave her half a pack for breakfast this morning but she’s left about half of it :ohwell: i’m a very anxious and worried person and i’m just hoping she’s okay, she drinks a bit of kitten milk once a day too, any help and support would be gladly appreciated
Well... when we are talking about kittens there is like “no limits” when it’s food time.
Kittens are extremely active and they need more food than an adult cat needs :)

Do you give her whiskas dry or wet food? I bought whiskas (wet food)once by mistake and what I did was switching the “liquid” that comes with the food by adding water instead

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jamie_02

Young Cat
Purraise
whiskas kitten food in jelly !! she loves it, hoping to switch her onto a higher quality wet food soon though as i know whiskas isn’t great haha, i usually add a drop or two of water into her food either way because she’s not a huge water drinker, loves to dip her nose in it but never really sips it, getting a water fountain soon to encourage her to drink lol, i also mix a bit of whiskas dry with her wet once a day but i think i might start leaving a bowl of dry out for her all the time just incase she gets hungry though !! :lol: :hearthrob: