Needhelp please

Stepha14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I recently joined this site
Last week I found a one week old kitten on a box next to the garbage the other two kittens were death already. I’m new with cats and I’m really trying my best I took him to the vet because he was constipated the vet Injected him fluids to help him to hydrate. Also took a stool sample to make sure he didn’t have any parasites. Unfortunately that was Friday at night and still didn’t get answer about the stool sample. I noticed today his stomach was bloated and he has diarrhea with a little bit of blood. I’m worry and I don’t know what to do. He is eating well now he is 2 weeks old his eyes are open and I’m feeding him every two hours 6 milliliter any advice? The vet will open tomorrow, but right now I don’t know what to do. Please help

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi I recently joined this site
Last week I found a one week old kitten on a box next to the garbage the other two kittens were death already. I’m new with cats and I’m really trying my best I took him to the vet because he was constipated the vet Injected him fluids to help him to hydrate. Also took a stool sample to make sure he didn’t have any parasites. Unfortunately that was Friday at night and still didn’t get answer about the stool sample. I noticed today his stomach was bloated and he has diarrhea with a little bit of blood. I’m worry and I don’t know what to do. He is eating well now he is 2 weeks old his eyes are open and I’m feeding him every two hours 6 milliliter any advice? The vet will open tomorrow, but right now I don’t know what to do. Please help
dont worry there will be other members soon that will be able to provide the info you needthanks for being a good person saving the kitten and welcome to the cat site

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Take him back to the vet as soon as they open, or to a 24/hr clinic if you can. Kittens are very fragile at this age. Make sure you keep him warm. What milk replacer do you have him on? Try adding a little bit of electrolytes into his formula as well (others will have brand recommendations I'm sure). Are you able to reach out to someone in your area who is more experienced in this area to help? Thank you for helping this little guy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stepha14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just fed him he drunk his milk, and his poop seems to be less watery and no blood.right now he seems to be very active. I keep him warm with a towel and a heating pad. I’m giving him KMR which is the vet recommended. There is one vet in my area but she would have to take a stool sample to check for parasites. Which the other vet already did they open tomorrow at 9. He seems to have gas because when he poops I saw bubbles.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can buy infant simethicone and put 2-3 drops in his feeding. It will help with the gas and bloating. Also, burp him after each feeding. Hold him upright on your shoulder as you would a human baby and gently tap his back.

Are you feeding with a bottle or syringe? Make sure he does not drink too fast from either. Drinking too fast can cause air to get sucked in, causing bloating.

What is his weight?

Thanks for saving him! Stepha14 Stepha14

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stepha14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His weight is 110 gr. I tried with the syringe but it felt weird he ended up not drinking the milk. So I tried with the bottle and it feels easier for him to drink. I do noticed the first moments I put the bottle into his mouth he tried to drink fast but then he slows down.
thank you so much for taking the time to answer me and for the recommendations

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
His weight is 110 gr. I tried with the syringe but it felt weird he ended up not drinking the milk. So I tried with the bottle and it feels easier for him to drink. I do noticed the first moments I put the bottle into his mouth he tried to drink fast but then he slows down.
thank you so much for taking the time to answer me and for the recommendations
With 110g his daily need is about 4x9 / 30, ie about 36ml KMR or goats milk a day... He can take more if he wish, but shouldnt be much less.

Lets hope the bloating are gasses because he drinks so quckly... So Sarthurs advices were spot on, me thinks.

What KMR do you use? This in powder or this premade liquid?

Was he flea infested when you found him? If he was flea infested, he may have got tape worm, as fleas are inbetween host for tape worm.
Otherwise, it common kittens from moggies have round worm. Although its seldom we need deworm them before 6 weeks.

And yes, if he has much diarrhea he should have extra electrolytes. Mixing his KMR with clear flavorless pedialyte for babies is the easiest.

But in a pinch, you can begin with addingt a trifle of common kitchen salt into his bottle. If you have minerale kitchen salt ist even better.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you sure his weight is correct? At 2 weeks a kitten should weigh twice that (8 ounces), but he may still be catching up.

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there any car rescue around?
Ideally, it'd be wonderful to find a nursing mother who will take him in.
Please don't think This is saying anything against your hard work. You're amazing to have taken him in and trying so hard for him.
But it's common enough while bottle feeding babies, that the liquid can go down the wrong tube and come down with pneumonia. If a surrogate mother could be found, it would be best.
And thank you.💕🐾

t c c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can buy infant simethicone and put 2-3 drops in his feeding. It will help with the gas and bloating. Also, burp him after each feeding. Hold him upright on your shoulder as you would a human baby and gently tap his back.

Are you feeding with a bottle or syringe? Make sure he does not drink too fast from either. Drinking too fast can cause air to get sucked in, causing bloating.

What is his weight?

Thanks for saving him! Stepha14 Stepha14
Do you know the dosing amount of simethicone for adult cats? Thanks for any info.

t c c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It would be 0.3 to 0.5mL every 8 to 12 hours. Here is an informative link:

Simethicone (Gas-X) for Dogs and Cats
Yes, I saw that article, but they don't tell the strength of the product. I got some help from some other groups. I bought the "Little Remedies" baby gas product last night and it really seems to help! (give according to the baby weight on the product. This product is 20 mg simethicone in the .3 ml dose for an infant up to 24 lbs, so I only give him .1 ml. You can give it up to 12 times per day. My cat didn't mind the liquid taste at all and it really seemed to help in minutes. I gave it every hour until I went to bed.). Thanks for the info.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you feed him are you doing it while he is on his belly? He needs to be positioned as though drinking from momma cat. If you feed him while holding him , head straight up or tipped on his back, it is much harder for him to swallow properly. You are doing a great job with this baby! Thank you!