Needed very small kitten collar

subconsciousme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our dear kitten, Lola, is 9 weeks old and needs a small collar. While I would not put one on her until later, she is intensely curious about outside. Since there are a lot of abandoned animals outside, county animals care and control is often around and I don't want them to mistake Lola as abandoned. Obviously, we our not going to let her out voluntarily, but she is a fast little one and I don't want any accidents to happen.

With that said, I'm having an extremely difficult time finding a 5 inch collar for her -- obviously adjustable to a larger size as she grows. I have found 6 inch, but that is still a little too big.

I have tried Etsy, PetSmart, PetCo, non-profits (ie: humane society, welfare league) as well as few local stores.

Does anyone know where I can find one for her? I'm at wits end.

railntrailcwgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I make custom cat and dog collars, currently I have kitten collars that adjust from 7-11" but I could cut one down or make one that adjusts down to 4 1/2-5" let me know if your interested and I'll send you some pictures.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
any recommendations collar wise wont apply so i wont babble on about them lol

but what you can do as well as having a collar is microchipping to, as if she does get out and gets picked up by someone and taken to the vets or a shelter etc they will check for a chip and can be returned to you that way also

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

subconsciousme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, we will be microchipping Lola but the vet recommended doing it the same time she gets fixed and she is too young for that yet.

But it is on our list of "to-do"

:-)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Find the smallest collar you can. Get some nylon thread and a heavy needle - cut the collar down on one side where it loops over a buckle and restitch it back together.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can buy a ferret collar that should work. They have the same snap as a safety collar but ferrets and kittens aren't usually heavy enough to make it snap. That always makes me nervous, but it could probably be modified to snap easier.

railntrailcwgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Easiest way to make a safety collar break more easily is to 'wear it out' a bit by playing with the buckle or taking a piece of sand paper and sanding the 'holding' side of the buckle down a little bit.