Need your input....human babies or furbabies

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi to all,
Just a quick question........Jerry and I were talking about how much we love our kitties. Now, we are both in our 40's with no children. He thought that probably most of the people that love thier animals like we do don't have any human babies, and that's why we put all of our paternal/maternal feelings in to them.
I think that's true to a point, but I have friends who have children that loves thier animals too. So, let me know....how many of you have human babies versus those that don't...........here I am with my Tiggy........

Don't forget to include your babies photos with your reply!

dima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mother loves her kitties very much...but she doesn't love them like I love them. Or at least she doesn't want to admit it!
I remember when her baby Peaches was a kitten and we went away for the weekend. When I returned home my mother called me with a sound in her voice like I've never heard before. She had gone back home and couldn't find Peaches. Finally she'd found her wedged behind her very large (7' tall by 12' wide) solid oak entertainment center. I rushed to her house and she'd taken a hammer and nearly destroyed this entertainment center which she LOVES and cost her several thousand dollars - simply trying to get to the kitty. She was hysterical. Now, this is a woman who's granddaughter was kidnapped and murdered and even when this happened, I did not see her like this! Seriously!

Now comes the weird part...I told her to move back, took out a drawer in this thing to get a good grip and LIFTED IT!! It took 4 guys to bring that sucker in and position it in my mother's house! But when a mama needs to do something, she does it
The kitty nearly lost her eye and her neck was stiff for a long time, but she made a full recovery. Now my mother doesn't laugh at me so much when I treat my babies like kids

I have a 10 year old daughter and I love her more than anything in the world, no exceptions. But my furbabies are right up there. I can't really compare the love i feel for them with anything else, as it is unique and far too precious to compare. I have always had a cat and I think I have come to rely upon them for my peace of mind, my sanity and my tranquility.

I can hear the bell around Pookie's neck jingling right now as he runs from place to place and just that little tingle comforts me and I can't be lonely. When I feel like poo, there is always a furry friend to comfort me and cheer me up - they definitely know when they're most needed. When I lose one of them it tears me apart. I lost a child 11 years ago and the grief I feel, I must say, is not like the grief I felt when I lost my daughter, but it is the nearest thing to it that I've ever felt...including when my beloved grandfather died (I know, that sounds terrible, doesn't it?).

Some people have called me the crazy cat lady. They think I'm a little nuts when it comes to cats, and maybe I am...but it is the way I was made. If God didn't want me like this, he wouldn't have made me allergic to everything under the sun (INCLUDING the sun!)....everything except for cats
My family has always joked with me that it doesn't matter if I'm in the middle of the Sahara, a cat will find me...and they do! I'm a cat magnet! I consider it one of the many gifts that God has given me, and I don't intend to waste it.

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No human children here, I am in my late 30's, hubby in his early 50's. But we do have 3 furbabies and 11 feathered children.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DiMa,
I got goosepimples reading your post..........you put into words alot of what I feel..........Frodo and Pookie are so lucky to have a "mom" like you........
Don't forget to post some pics of your loved ones for all of us to see.....

Talon,
Would love to see some pics of your furbabies if you can........do the cats and the birds get along?

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hubby just got a new digital camera today, so pictures of the babies will be coming soon! (My last digital camera broke over a year ago)

The cats and birds get along for the most part. The big birds scare the bejesus out of the cats - especially when the birds start following the cats tails. The little birds are scared of the cats (for good reason!) and we must keep the door to the little birds room closed when we aren't at home, as the cats will sit and watch them eagerly for hours.

We actually have one of the three cats who could truly care less that birds are in his house, the second one finds it interesting at times, but nothing to write home about. The third one - well she covets the little birds, but for the most part knows she is not supposed to go near them.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think there is some truth to what you say. I don't have any kids and I am 24, my bf has a little boy who comes to stay with us but it isn't the same as it would be to have my own. He doesn't want any other kids, and we have been together almost 6 years, so I have come to accept that as best I can. Dori is my baby. I love her so much, she is my best friend and she is there for me in so many ways

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no natural children. I have 5 stepkids and fourteen step-grandkids- please don't ask me their ages! lol

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No kids, just cats.

I will say this, the dog that my parents had when we were in high school/college/out of the house was definitely treated differently than the dog we had when I was a child. Dutchess (childhood dog) was never neglected or mistreated in any way - she lived a very good life! But she was the dog. Felicia was spoiled rotten, and she got away with things that even my sister and I couldn't have gotten away with (like mouthing off to Dad!). I know Dad loved Dutchess a lot, but there was definitely a different relationship with Felicia.

jakkies

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a miscarriage last year and I thought my heart would break. But when my baby boy Dexter died on 28/05/04 it not only broke but shattered. When we talk about our cats we call them "the kids", I hate to go on vacation because I can't take them with me. I am a stay@home wife so I spend all day with them and have long conversations with them, they do understand as well...

Can you tell I am attached to them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, so far, we are mostly furbaby Mommy's.............I think our theory is right.

Let me tell you guys, I just got back from lunch, and I made the mistake of going to PetSmart for some Friskies..........well, the actual mistake was going over to the adoption center.............Oh Lord.....it was all I could do not to take them all................just makes me sick to see them without someone to cuddle them.............

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Petsmart next door to me has the adoption program most weekend, I try not to even go inside on those days. Lately they have had kitty adoption days. I can't take one look at them or I just wanna cry when I get home. It's so sad to see them in their cages.

pondwader

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe I am the exception to the rule... my parents always had animals, cats, dogs, and they allowed my brothers and I to keep almost everything we brought home...lol... which was a lot. When I moved out I couldn't take any animals with me, they were mine, but they were family, and it wouldn't have been fair to take elderly cats and an elderly dog with me, besides, I found a house just a few blocks away to raise my own family in so I could still see them whenever I wanted. Within a few months of moving out on my own, married, pregnant, and had 3 rescue kitties. LOL. Later came a dog, eventually 3 two legged children, and still more kitties. I began raising siamese, and still love all of my furbabies just as much as I did before i had children, maybe more now, because now I worry about them the way I worry about my kids. My kids are getting older now, and I think I may be driving my husband crazy, because the old biological clock is bringing more four leggeds into the house, since I can't have any more babies of my own.

subee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two grown children and five grandchildren. We still have always felt the cats were members of the family. And now that we have four furbabies in the house they are more loved and more spoiled than ever!

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well , I have a son and he just turn 16 years today
As you can see in my siggi I also have cats and btw also dogs

sherral46

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sorry to be a party popper,but my kids and grandchildern are loved more than my cats,don't get me wrong I also love my cats,but I would die for my family,not my ctas.

blondiecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one Daughter age 26 from my first marriage and 4 grandchildren, 9,7,3,2. I love them with all my heart. Now Ken and I have been married going on 2 years and I am uunable to have anymore children. I would like too but it is impossible due to surgeries. I have 5 furbabies that you can see in my siggy. They are mine and Ken's children.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats and dogs, no kids here.

About 14 years ago, and shortly after we adopted our 5th dog (with 7 cats), my sister in law advised me that we needed to have children or we would never stop adopting pets. We didn't have the human children but our lives are filled with our furry kids. I give most of my energy to them.

hfrodoc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Frodo is preparing my husband and I for kids. We are quite young and don't see children in our near future, but I do see kids in the distant future.
My husband has never had a pet before in his life. We started off with a gold fish and it grew on him. I've always had cats in my life as a child and when we finally moved into a place that accepted animals we got Frodo. It is so fun to see how Josh and Frodo get along. Josh will play with Frodo for hours, although I can't seem to get Josh to clean the litter box, he'll do anything else for Frodo. I see Frodo as a step for my husband towards having kids.
I knew we needed to start slowly

vwvixen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two children (both boys). My now live-in boyfriend has no children (only two cats). I just brought home my first kitten Miura yesterday. My bf seems happy enough with my two 1/2 grown kids and the cats....