Need Urgent Human Help!!

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not to be a downer, but...

A good friend of mine slipped on ice and fell on her hip about a month ago. At first, she thought she had just badly bruised her hip. But, after three weeks she was still limping (and still jogging and still doing Tae Bo
). Me and several other people got on her case and made her go to see the doctor. Mind you, my friend is not a wimp-she's had two open heart surgeries and a spinal fusion, but she agreed to go (or gave into us).

At first, the doctor found no injuries on her X-rays. But an MRI revealed that she had fractured the top of her leg bone, where it goes into her hip. Since they caught it early enough, she just has to be on crutches for the next 4-6 weeks. If they hadn't found it, she may have needed surgery.

I understand that cost can be an issue, but my thinking is getting a problem taken care of early can prevent more problems down the road.

Shell, I'm keeping good thoughts for your brother. I hope everything turns out well (and if he has to have a cast he can use it to impress the girls with at Prom).

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
one evening, my dad broke his foot by accidently stepping on the side of it while he was going down our back steps. He noticed increasing pain in his foot right away. My mom tried to insist that he go to the ER, but he refused. The next morning the pain was even worse than before and dad could barely walk, but he still refused to go to the doctor and went to work instead. He finally had his foot x-rayed when his BOSS absolutely insisted on it, and came home wearing a cast.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still trying to get him to go, but he said "If it still hurts like hell on Thursday, I'll go...but not until then". I could hear that comment coming from my Dad, but coming from a 17 year old! He's on this macho kick right now and that "I'll be 18 in May and I can make my own decisions!" kick now too. It is so hard to drill something into his head...when he's got him mind set and he will not budge.
I'm still working on him...so hopefully he'll just get tired of listening to me preaching about it and he'll go! I'd drag him there by his feet if I could, but Marc is not a little boy. He's 6 ft 2 and weighs in at a whopping 255 pounds!
Thanks again for everything!

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
17-year-old boys aren't finished growing, yet. If it is fractured and, depending upon where the fracture is, there can be interference with the growth pattern. He really needs to get this checked. If we hadn't gotten my son's wrist set properly, he would have had a permanent deformity.

tamme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ick! I just can't stand to see broken bones. Limbs bent the wrong way...ugh!

My bro broke both the bones in his forearm while on a trampoline, he fell on the metal part. Not wanting to go to the doctor is being ignorant and bull-headed. Sure he can make his own decisions, but what will he think of himself when he can't ever do anything with his right hand again? and all because he refused to go to the doctor. What if it heals all deformed? The girls will LOVE that!

...sorry, a little rant I remember with MY brother.