Need to Re-home

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure where to post this. Sorry if it is in the wrong spot.

I need to re-home my two cats. I have bad allergies and can no longer keep my cats. I am not sure how to go about doing this. I have posted a classified ad on petfinder. I would love if the two of them could go to the same home since they have grown up together.

Is there anything I should know about re-homing? Anything specific I should do?

Please nobody get upset with me for doing this, it has been a very hard decision but have decided it is best.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Of course it's a hard decision. Unfortunately, older cats can sit in cages for years if you surrender them to a no-kill shelter. Is that really what you want? Have you researched the options for managing your allergies to the cats?

I used to be extremely allergic to cats, but with the use of medication, hepa filters, and incorporating a few steps into my daily/weekly routine, I was able to live with five/six cats quite successfully. (We now have 8 and live in an RV, but I'm not nearly as allergic as I used to be).

This was my post to someone who wanted to solve the allergy problem:

Originally Posted by LDG

Here was our solution.

1) Zyrtec-D. I believe that's what it's called in the UK too. You've tried specifically this medication? It's a newer generation antihistamine, and I found that it was the only one that worked for the cat allergy. It has a generic available now, it's called ceterizine. I needed the version with the decongestant.

2) An albuterol inhaler.

3) Advair (the steroids you inhale).

4) Hubby would brush the kitties daily to prevent as much shedding as possible.

5) Wipe the cats down morning and evening with distilled water to pick up as much dander off of them as possible. No washing the cats, no shampooing - all that does is make them lick themselves all over, which just spreads their dander around again and completely defeats the purpose. Distilled water picks up some of the dander, but leaves all the scents in the right places, so they don't feel the need to groom again.

6) Cover our furniture with throw blankets that get washed weekly. When I want to sit on something, we folded up the blanket.

7) Vacuum daily.

8) We have carpet, but removing the carpet and having wood floors works even better.

9) Sleeping. It's recommended that if you're allergic to not allow the cats in the bedroom. That wasn't an option for us. Instead, I'd put a cover over the bed (then just the pillows) so it was at least cat-hair free when we got into it.

Over time I definitely developed immunities. I did start the allergy shots, but didn't have enough money to see it through. But our oldest cat is nine years now, and I only need the zyrtec sometimes, and we don't use the throw blankets anymore - and the cats sleep in my face and on my head and it doesn't trigger a reaction.

I am very allergic to two of our kitties when I pet them and they drool on me. I usually just grab a brush to pet them instead of using my hand.

You may think I'm crazy... but we have an immuno-compromised kitty with allergies that our regular vets weren't able to properly treat. So I looked into a vet also trained in Chinese medicine. She had him fixed up inside of a couple of months. I am now definitely of the opinion that where western medicine fails, chinese medicine can help. If I were you, I'd consider looking into finding a doctor that knows chinese herbs and acupuncture. They may be able to help.
I hope you reconsider, and find that you're able to manage the allergies.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Of course it's a hard decision. Unfortunately, older cats can sit in cages for years if you surrender them to a no-kill shelter. Is that really what you want? Have you researched the options for managing your allergies to the cats?

I used to be extremely allergic to cats, but with the use of medication, hepa filters, and incorporating a few steps into my daily/weekly routine, I was able to live with five/six cats quite successfully. (We now have 8 and live in an RV, but I'm not nearly as allergic as I used to be).

I hope you reconsider, and find that you're able to manage the allergies.
I agree with the info and advice Laurie gave you.

My sister-in-law is highly allergic to cats, dogs, flowers, dust, you name it.
Her allergic reactions got so serious she ended up in the hospital overnight. Her doctor advised her to re-home her animals (3 cats, 1 dog). She looked at him and said, "Absolutely not. That is not an option. Give me another alternative."

That was years ago. Since then, she's been getting an allergy shot, once per month, and it has made all the difference. She continues to live happily with the cats and dog she loves.

If you're interested, I can ask her specifically which med she gets.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't have to re-home your kits, take some meds and keep the kits. Others have done it, so can you.

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What happened that suddenly caused you to be this allergic after having the same cats for 6/7 years? Can you be more specific as to what is going on? Maybe we can help you manage them so you won't have to give up your babies.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Post ads everywhere you can: pet stores, veterinary offices, post office, multiple forums online. See if you can't find a family member or friend or a friend to take them. It's really hard to find a home for two adult cats.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So.... let me get this straight.... On one of your cat's profile it says that when you moved out of your parents' house you missed having kitties so you got one of your own.... Sounds like you had cats growing up at your parents house.... You have been here since 2006 - a whole five years, your cats were born in 04 and 05......... Long long time to realize you are allergic all of the sudden

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just a question for your consideration. What happens if you become allergic to pollen, molds, and other common things you can't rehome?
I also developed seasonal allergies, and sensitivity to just about everything in the environment. And it's all exacerbated by the asthma I also developed. In fact, I tested positive to being allergic to every single thing they tested for (40 different environmental triggers). I can't live in a bubble. Just a thought.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BlueRexBear

What happened that suddenly caused you to be this allergic after having the same cats for 6/7 years? Can you be more specific as to what is going on? Maybe we can help you manage them so you won't have to give up your babies.
Yeah.... that's what I am wondering.... plus seems that she had cats growing up too?

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

Yeah.... that's what I am wondering.... plus seems that she had cats growing up too?
My husband is allergic to cats. We have 6. He deals with it because, well, I would probably put him out before the cats. LOL

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I developed allergies within the past 2 years. If they get really bad, I take a pill and get over it. No way would I ever even consider not having cats in my life.

rescue-mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had developed allergies a few years ago and took awhile to figure out what was causing my reactions,But then figured out it was the cat...I had never grown up with them because my mother is highly allergic.
So after 8 years owning my own cats then one day bam the allergies hit,Now i take allergy medications,the cat is no longer aloud in the bedroom at night(cause he likes to sleep on my pillow with me lol) and i vacuum daily and sometimes 2x a day.
Allergies are definitely manageable but just need to find what works for you to keep them under control.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rescue-mom

I had developed allergies a few years ago and took awhile to figure out what was causing my reactions,But then figured out it was the cat...I had never grown up with them because my mother is highly allergic.
So after 8 years owning my own cats then one day bam the allergies hit,Now i take allergy medications,the cat is no longer aloud in the bedroom at night(cause he likes to sleep on my pillow with me lol) and i vacuum daily and sometimes 2x a day.
Allergies are definitely manageable but just need to find what works for you to keep them under control.
I stopped letting my cats in the bedroom, but it hasn't stopped the allergies at all. Now Milo sleeps on the couch instead.

I just feel bad for my cats because they don't get the attention they should. Every time they come near me I sneeze (sometimes up to 30-40 times in a row), get really itchy watery eyes and my skin gets itchy. The cats are not the only problem but are definitely one of them. I also get like that if I am around any mold and have horrible seasonal allergies (which bother me 3 out of 4 seasons). I also recently starting breaking out in a huge rash if I drink any hard liquor (which I have stopped doing). I am trying to get all these things under control because I have been miserable lately always feeling stuffed up and sneezing. My house is not very big and all carpeted, which I cannot take out.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried any medications? The newer antihistamines are very effective and don't make you drowsy. How about HEPA filters? How often do you vacuum?

I would guess that your kitties are probably happier living with you not getting enough attention rather than being killed in a kill shelter or sitting in a cage for years at a no-kill shelter. It's hard enough to re-home cute little kittens; very few people want adult cats

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the late summer of 2008, I developed allergies sudden and hard. My doc thinks it's likely the cats and wanted to run a few allergy tests. I told him there's no point 'cause the cats aren't going anywhere, so we need to focus on controlling the symptoms. Which, I'm very thankful to say, we succeeded (Flonase is an allergy sufferer's best friend, trust me!
).

AC

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover19

I stopped letting my cats in the bedroom, but it hasn't stopped the allergies at all. Now Milo sleeps on the couch instead.

I just feel bad for my cats because they don't get the attention they should. Every time they come near me I sneeze (sometimes up to 30-40 times in a row), get really itchy watery eyes and my skin gets itchy. The cats are not the only problem but are definitely one of them. I also get like that if I am around any mold and have horrible seasonal allergies (which bother me 3 out of 4 seasons). I also recently starting breaking out in a huge rash if I drink any hard liquor (which I have stopped doing). I am trying to get all these things under control because I have been miserable lately always feeling stuffed up and sneezing. My house is not very big and all carpeted, which I cannot take out.
Those are the exact symptoms I had, only I broke out in huge rashes as well. For the itchies, you can use an OTC steroid cream (anti-itch cream). If you have the same problem with rashes I did, you can get a prescription for Ultravete, which is a stronger steroid cream. But PLEASE try Cetirizine or Cetirizine-D (the one with the decongestant) before you give up! It works really well for the seasonal allergies AND the cat allergies!

I also recommend you try my other recommendations as well. We have carpeting too.
The cetirizine itself (not expensive, that's the generic of zyrtec, which used to be prescription only but is now OTC) may solve your problems. But in combination with everything else, it should be a snap!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

I would guess that your kitties are probably happier living with you not getting enough attention rather than being killed in a kill shelter or sitting in a cage for years at a no-kill shelter. It's hard enough to re-home cute little kittens; very few people want adult cats
I wont put them in a shelter. I checked out the rescue here (just to see) and they wont take them. I am trying to find a friend who would take them so I know where they are and that they are happy. I wont let them sit in a cage at a shelter. I wish my in-laws could take them because we lived with them for 4 years with both cats so they already know them and the house.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm like you I'm allergic to many things including cats. I found the longer I'm around cats, the less allergic I am. Whether you have cats or not, you're still going to have allergies. I've tried tons of allergy meds from pills to nasal sprays, some work better than others. Right now I've found 1 that really helps. The problem isn't cats, it's finding an allergy med that works. Talk to your doctor, eventually you'll hit 1 that works.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover19

I wont put them in a shelter. I checked out the rescue here (just to see) and they wont take them. I am trying to find a friend who would take them so I know where they are and that they are happy. I wont let them sit in a cage at a shelter. I wish my in-laws could take them because we lived with them for 4 years with both cats so they already know them and the house.
It's really reassuring you want to do the right thing for them.

But as My4LLMA points out, with multiple allergies, it's really about managing them in general, and you'll find that at point, the specific cat allergy isn't a problem any longer.