Need To Make Decision About Kitten Rescue

lunarat1967

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry if this is not the appropriate place for my post but it is timely. We owned two cats for a decade and both passed away about a approximately 4 years ago. We have one mellow dog (likes cats) and two sweet rats. We have been thinking about another cat for awhile but in no rush. Over the weekend, we met a 12-week-old kitten that we just fell in love with. She's at a rescue right now and is on hold for us. I wanted to sleep on it. My daughter and son really want her but I'm on the fence but for only one reason--shedding. Our last cats were interesting because one was a mixed-breed short-hair of some kind and didn't shed at all! She was amazing. When we added the other cat about a year later (also short -hair) it was a different story. His hair was a bit longer and thicker and he shed like crazy! I even found hair in my fridge and in my coffee mug! But we loved him and the good outweighed the bad but now I keep thinking about that hair and, although I adored our cats, I have to admit it's been nice these past few years not having to deal with the hair issue. (Our dog is a nonshedding breed and the most low-maintenance pet ever..as are the rats.) I could easily just decide to look for a nonshedding cat breed but we are already in love with this one. She is a short-haired black cat with a small amount of white.

I am trying to push through my hair concerns but I'm very worried about it. I keep telling myself to stop being so anal and look at the big picture of enjoying owning this kitty but I'm struggling!

Any advice? Is the hair issue with one cat really that bad?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry if this is not the appropriate place for my post but it is timely. We owned two cats for a decade and both passed away about a approximately 4 years ago. We have one mellow dog (likes cats) and two sweet rats. We have been thinking about another cat for awhile but in no rush. Over the weekend, we met a 12-week-old kitten that we just fell in love with. She's at a rescue right now and is on hold for us. I wanted to sleep on it. My daughter and son really want her but I'm on the fence but for only one reason--shedding. Our last cats were interesting because one was a mixed-breed short-hair of some kind and didn't shed at all! She was amazing. When we added the other cat about a year later (also short -hair) it was a different story. His hair was a bit longer and thicker and he shed like crazy! I even found hair in my fridge and in my coffee mug! But we loved him and the good outweighed the bad but now I keep thinking about that hair and, although I adored our cats, I have to admit it's been nice these past few years not having to deal with the hair issue. (Our dog is a nonshedding breed and the most low-maintenance pet ever..as are the rats.) I could easily just decide to look for a nonshedding cat breed but we are already in love with this one. She is a short-haired black cat with a small amount of white.

I am trying to push through my hair concerns but I'm very worried about it. I keep telling myself to stop being so anal and look at the big picture of enjoying owning this kitty but I'm struggling!

Any advice? Is the hair issue with one cat really that bad?
IMO, the shedding issue comes with the territory. I suggest making a list of pros and cons to having a cat. If it were me making the list, the pros column would be quite long with the only con being the shedding- and to me, it's not an issue. That's what you get when you sign up for cat servitude. :lol:

In all seriousness though, sit your family down and get everyone's HONEST opinion. I don't know how old your kids are but if they are old enough to handle the responsibility, they can help out by brushing the cat. They can also do the vacuuming/sweeping up. :thumbsup: As far as non shedding breeds are concerned, there aren't many, they are purebreeds and therefore will be quite expensive (if gotten from a reputable breeder of course). You can also look for a breed specific rescue if you decide to go that route. Here is a link to a list of non shedding breeds

Non-shedding Cat Breeds - Cat Breeds Encyclopedia

If everyone in the house is in agreement about getting a cat, I'd schedule a meet and greet at the shelter. The cat will decide if your family fits her needs. Good luck.

Oh yeah- Welcome to TCS!! :wave3:

User1189

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The shedding shouldn't be so bad with a short-haired cat. If no one is allergic or sensitive to fur, it won't be a big problem. Are you planning on letting her out? There definitely won't be lots of fur if you do, but it's kind of risky letting a cat outside (i really hope to find Marshmallow soon). I say you take her home to love if your family and the kitty are both ready!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Regular grooming will help as well. Some people find that a grooming glove actually works better than a brush.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any cat might shed. Short hairs are less likely to shed than long hair. We have 2 medium long hair large cats and they shed alot. I have found combing them (advice I got here) works better than brushing them. There is no way I would consider for a second giving them up, or not have taken them into our family because of that.

If you are really on the fence then perhaps wait and see if she gets adopted by someone else. ...if not...step up and make her part of your family.

Better to have combed and brushed than to never have loved

( a cat ) at all. (That isnt quite the quote, but you get the idea).