Need To Introduce Male Cats- One Former Feral, Kitten

CluelessKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven't had cats since I was a preteen, so I'm a bit over my head here and I need some experienced advice.

Every year for at least the last 4 years, some POS dumps a litter of very obviously indoor highly socialized kittens at around 10 weeks old. Around 1/3 end up being adopted by neighbors, the rest go feral. Well, last year I tried catching a little male kitten right after he got dumped. Walked right up to me so I scooped him up. Super friendly. He flipped out when I opened the door and I lost my grip. I didn't see him for the next 7 months. He showed up, completely wild, scrawny, and in bad shape. I started to feed him, and eventually TNRed him a little over a month ago.

Fat forward to last month. POS came back and dumped 3 new kittens. One followed me home. I brought him in, wormed him, and on tuesday he gets neutered. He's extremely affectionate, even to my 2 toddlers who adore him. He's a love, and around 5 months right now.

Well, my dilemma is that the "wild" cat isn't so wild anymore. About a week and a half ago I finally gained his trust enough to be next to him after putting his bowl down. I tapped him on the head twice to see how he'd react, and it set off a chain reaction I never could have expected. He's followed me everywhere since. He's willingly let my toddlers and husband pet him. The last 3 nights he tried following me inside before freezing at the door. Then he spent the nights banging on the door meowing for me to come out and give him attention. By morning, his voice was gone.

Last night he followed me in. I closed the door behind him on impulse and set him up in the bathroom. He's taken it remarkably well. Begging for attention whenever we go in. But now I'm unsure how to continue. How do I introduce him to the kitten? He has already befriended most of the dogs. I've never introduced cats. Both are newish, but I'm clueless how this is going to work.

Please, any advice would be extremely appreciated! Sorry for the ramble....

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Should go ok. He is probably anxious to please himself in.

The kitten will prob happily wrestle him down, though. :)