Need To Get A New Puter!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Definately keep the computer you're using. If it's not broken, don't throw it out!
I've learned the value of a back up computer (or two).

It's not difficult putting it together yourself. You can either get the main components separate or get a bare bones kit - cpu(s), motherboard, and ram together. The hardest part may be some jumper and/or bios settings, but you'll have the manual.
Decent shops I've used in the past (that I can remember), 3bTech and memory labs. You can also read shop reviews on pricewatch.
hmm, most of the newer boards dont even have jumpers anymore. I know the last few that i bulit had none. all the setting where in the bios. to disable the on board sound and video. ALso the new one seem to pick up the correct CPU's

but yea its not that hard, to set them if there are some jumpers. Oh yea i would just go with a new hd they are cheap, and much faster then then older ones

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ It's been a couple years since I've put a comp together. For the last new comp, DH opted to buy a custom built from a site because he didn't want to wait for parts or bother ordering from more than one site. He has no sense of fun, really.

I agree about the hard drive(s). Brand wise (from my own experience with them) - western digitals can be noisy, maxtors sometimes die early (but there's always the chance of product defect with everything), and seagates have went down in price nicely.
'House brand' worries me, so no reviews on off brands.

Besides... you may decide to get two and mirror.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we have a Western Digital right now. Serial ATA drive. I don't like Seagates, I've had too many of them go bad. One went bad after I took it out of a computer, using all of the proper precautions. It was working fine. I gave it to a friend for a pc he was throwing together, and he calls me & says it's a paperweight.
Not a big Seagate fan here. I can't remember if we've used Maxtors or not. Probably have.

My DH wants a faster chip, a new video card and another drive to run 2 hard drives at the same time. I can't remember what he called the configuration, but it's supposed to make the pc faster for gaming.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the new spare hard drive I have lying around is a Maxtor 200GB.