Need Tips For New Cat Owner

Megan S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everybody! I am very excited to be adopting my first cat soon! I have some experience with cats, but I have never owned one. I'm looking for some tips to help both of us settle in easier.

I plan on getting a cat from a shelter. How do I know I'm picking a good cat? I want one that is super nice and hopefully good with a litter box, but how can I know that from meeting it at the shelter?

I'm planning on starting the cat in my den. Should the room have only furniture that the cat can scratch? Should there be places to hide? How much time should I spend in there with it?

Sorry I have a lot of questions and any other advice you can give would be much appreciated! Thanks!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello Megan S Megan S , welcome to TCS :wave3:

Glad that you'll be adopting your first kitty. And it's good that you are doing some homework before bringing your kitty home.

Best is to let the cat choose you while you are at the shelter. You'll know which one will be choosing you. It'll be the ones that come great you, rub on you and hang around you and let you pet and carry them.

You can go back maybe twice to the shelter the following day to confirm if that whether the same cat come greet you again. If it does, that is the one or two you want to bring home.

It might be a hard choice as there may be more than one than will choose you and you might end up going home with more than one cat. In a way, is good as if you decided to get another, there's no need to do any introduction between cats as they are from the same shelter and have been living together and going home with you together.

Make your house cat safe before bring them home. Have a cat tree by the window (windows locked of course). Keep all medications, breakables, human foods out of reach. Plan where you want the litter box to be and make sure if the cat have access to it from all sides if possible. Box should be big enough with at least 3 ins of litter.

Dont have to buy too many toys now as you don't know whether they like it or not. Most economical way is cardboard boxes and balls for them to chase around.

New cats to new homes might go into hiding for awhile. So best if you block up most holes you think
they may go hide. If they do, don't worry, use a toy or cat wand or food to lure them out, slowly. It may take some time but once they know that you are no threat to them and their confidence level is up, they'll come out.
Let them explore the house on their own and make sure they have a place to retreat if they are afraid. Let them claim the house and space. Once they get use to the new surroundings, sights and sounds, they won't be hinting anymore. This is just a scenerio if they go into hiding but hope that they don't.

Spend as much time as you can with them and make them associate you with food. That's the best way for them to get attach to you so that it's also easier for you when you try to groom them or trim their claws.

Not all cats will scratch furnitures. So it's hard to say. Are you going to just keep them in the den or do they have full access to the whole house?

Feel free to ask questions and also do browse around the site for the many interesting articles and informative forum threads.

After you have gotten your kitties, introduce yourself and your kitties to the community in 'New Cats on the Block' under the Social Forums and post photos of your kitties for us to see.

See ya around :wink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Megan S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for all the advice! It will be in the den to start out with because I've heard you need to start them in one room. And the litter box will always be in the den. About how long should I keep it in there before I let it explore? And should I put it back in the den when I leave or go to sleep for the first week or so?

Also I am a nurse so I work 12 hour shifts. I'm worried about leaving the kitty alone for that long. For the first couple weeks I can get people to come spend a few hours with the cat, but after that I don't know if I can relay on other people. I know the ideal solution would be to get two cats so they keep each other entertained, but my apartment is small and I just don't think I'm ready for two cats yet. Any ideas on way to keep the kitty both safe and entertained while I'm gone?

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Also keep all chemicals like detergents out of reach. The other thing is some pants and flowers like Lilies are toxic to cats.

Here's some articles for you to read :-

First-time Cat Owner's Guide

15 Things You Should Know Before Adopting A Cat

The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know

The 10 Most Common Litterbox Mistakes Cat Owners Make

How To Choose The Right Litterbox

How Many Litterboxes Should You Have?

Cats & Lilies: Avoid The Danger Lurking In Your Home

A Kitten Or An Older Cat - Which Should You Adopt?

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home

Toxic Plants

These are some articles that are found in the Articles section and there are many more important topics there. Do check it out :wink:

Megan S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thanks so much for all the advice! It will be in the den to start out with because I've heard you need to start them in one room. And the litter box will always be in the den. About how long should I keep it in there before I let it explore? And should I put it back in the den when I leave or go to sleep for the first week or so?

Also I am a nurse so I work 12 hour shifts. I'm worried about leaving the kitty alone for that long. For the first couple weeks I can get people to come spend a few hours with the cat, but after that I don't know if I can relay on other people. I know the ideal solution would be to get two cats so they keep each other entertained, but my apartment is small and I just don't think I'm ready for two cats yet. Any ideas on way to keep the kitty both safe and entertained while I'm gone?
You are welcomed :wink:

In fact, if you allow your kitty to roam the house freely, it dosen't really matter where to start them. Just let the kitty start exploring and choose its place and they will keep changing places.

Place the litter box where it's easy access to her day and night and for your cleaning convenience.

Do you allow your kitty to sleep with you on the bed? If yes, then start right away. Many here love sleeping with their kitties. If not, then you'll have to train your kitty to be by herself in a separate room when it's bedtime or else she is going to disturb your sleep by calling and knocking on you door at night.

As long as your house is cat safe, cats are alright to be alone but not for too long a period. 12 hours I guess should be ok. Just as long as when you are back, shower them with love and play with them.
They sleep most of the time. Leave some interactive toys around. Make sure there's no string to get them tangled up and get caught on their legs and claws and neck.

Here's another important article :-

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats

When To Spay Or Neuter A Cat?

Megan S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would love it if the cat didn't sleep in my bed because I have mild allergies and I will soon be working nights so sleep is very important to me. I was thinking of putting a cat bed on top of my tall wardrobe and putting shelves so she can get up there. Do you think that will work or should I make the bedroom off-limits? Do you have any articles on this kind of training?

By the way I've been going through and reading all these articles. Very helpful! Thank you!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It's hard to predict where the cat would sleep. They always move around and have some favorite spots. You have to experiment with it as not all cats are the same.

You can try leaving the cat bed on a bedside table and see if she sleeps there.

My boy has a few favorite spot to sleep in the day but in the night he sleeps on me bed.

Here's some more articles :-

How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night?

How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat

Cat Sleep - More Than Just A Catnap

Cats Napping Spots

Cats And Night Crazies!