Need Tattoo Opinions!

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

There is no such thing as a "certified" professional tattoo artist. They must be licensed in most states, and in some be able to prove to health officials they have been through sterilization and communicable disease courses.
I didn't mean to imply that their skills are certified, I simply meant that they have to have courses in health services (disease prevention, etc) to legally tattoo. It could just be NC, but everywhere I've been has required them to have their license (I chose the wrong term in that case.) I simply wanted to point out that the states are very good about making sure that artists use good health practices.

The rest is common sense in my opinion.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Middletown

Do not go Drunk. whatever anyone tells you, it will still hurt and the alcohol will increase your bleeding as the EtOH limits the coagulents in your blood as well as cloud your judgement.
That and you'll prbably have something really stupid tattooed. Like a barcode on your butt.
I had a friend who had a barcode and she did actually register on a scanner as a packet of durex condoms

OH - and regarding the comment about the certified tattoo artists - there is, I believe, a certification you can get in the UK. I know Calum (my tattoo artist) had actually studied in Edinburgh for 5 years as an apprentice before setting up his own business and as soon as it was available - he took a course at the school (link below). I think that's a really excellent idea for artists to prove that they are good at what they do, and they've had the proper hygiene training to go with it.

http://www.reddragontattoos.co.uk/pt.../pta_home.html

This is the one Calum was telling me about. He tattooed me four times in total.. and if I could get to him in Edinburgh, I swear I would ahve him tattoo me again!!

Calum had a sign in his store that read:

"If you are drunk, sunburnt, pregnant, suffering from a heart condition or otherwise obnoxious, please come back when you aren't."

Anyway, I'm glad that you know what you're on about sweetie - I just assumed it was your first tattoo
I think a few of us did!!

Just as a side note though, it is wonderful to see there were several people who jumped in because they were concerned about your health
I think that says a lot for this board.

I do recommend the custom tattoo artist though, if you find a really good one, they can do just about everything you could imagine.

middletown

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AshleyNicole

At first I was a little offended by the first post by Middletown. After reading several more, I no longer am (the first one just came across a little mean, but as said later its hard to convery emotion over the computer!). Also just let me say that this is not my first tattoo. And I do know that this shop is very clean (my future mother-in-law is a nurse at the health department and has personally done thier inspections).
I never intend to offend anyone. ESPECIALLY on this and other pet related boards. i do not "troll"
It is my nature to be "frank" about things i believe passionately in and am confident in. I did not know that you had had tattoos prior. My bluntness was to attempt to stress the importance of thinking about a tattoo prior to getting one. its as important as choosing your pet, its a lifelong commitment.

Tattoos have become such the "in thing" that there are plenty of opportunistic people and businesses that will take advantage of a group of people wanting to fit in with the current trends.
The CDC does not have records for tattoo parlors that are not licensed to the state. there are plenty. Nor do they have records that relate illness to illicit activity.
It is very comforting to know that what information they have from legitimate shops indicates that there are plenty of responcible tattoo parlors out there.

A licensed individual or shop can be just as filthily and dirty as a puppy mill that is also licensed. those "laws" and records do not give me comfort knowing the needles that would be injected into my skin just came off some person of questionable heath.

Spending the time to see and "interview" your artist is the best. You already know him and feel confident with him. Great
I hope you find the image that fits you well.
Im sure plenty of people here will love to see it when its done.
I like the Stethoscope idea mentioned earlier. Especially if you are going to have it around your ankle or wrist. or even along your lower back or shoulder.

I still do not read where i was mean, just direct and frank. im sorry if that offended you or others.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Middletown

I still do not read where i was mean, just direct and frank. im sorry if that offended you or others.
Don't worry about it! It was me reading the post the wrong way, not the way you said it. And as said by another poster, I do think its great that so many people who I've never met care about my health! Its a good feeling to know there are still so many nice people!