need suggestions till Monday

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcribbs

ooooooooooo boy....... He has not pooped since he has been at the vet.. Since Friday actually... Today he ate great. So what goes in, must come out..

Need poop vibes and stop bleeding vibes. Husband is tripping out right now because Toe is bleeding and they don't consider it an emergency.. I am wiped out. He will be home tomorrow and can take over...

We are using a little nest egg on Toe right now... We call it our special fund... and Toe is special....
Poop prayers headed your way from Mississippi for toe, and I have to agree with you, I think toe is special too.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending poop vibes Toes way.

Jenn, is it possible that the cath. is causing the bleeding and it's not actually coming out of Toes body...does that make sense?
In another words maybe the cath. is causing some bleeding but he's not peeing blood?

Still sending get well soon vibes to Toe!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are Toe's kidneys producing urine OK?
I would think that the vet would want to take the cath out and have Toe pee to be sure everything is functioning before you take him home.

But if Toe is alone at the vets at night he is probably better off at home with you Jenn.

You must be so tired.
Vibes on the way for you and Toe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I know is I looked at the cath and the little opening had fresh blood in it. I have no idea what is causing it or where it is coming from except the bladder area.

I hope the SD food is agreeing with him. could that make him bleed?

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still sending prayers and hugs from Mississippi for you and toe-man.

Please keep us updated on how he is doing, and when you see him again, please give him a little hug from me.

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It wouldn't be the S/D. He is probally bleeding from the crystals he had or still has in his bladder or from a UTI. Imagine someone running sandpaper across the inside of your bladder. Thats how the crystals feel for him.
I wouldn't be too concerned but I would ask your vet if they are flushing the bladder daily. Flushing the bladder to remove the crytals is kinda like putting water in the shampoo container. You want to make sure you get every last bit out. If they aren't flushing it then he could still have crystals irritating the lining of the bladder. The urinary cath. could be irritating as well but there isn't much room for movement for it to really be causing much bleeding.

Toe sounds like a fighter. I'm sure he's going to do fine.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, fingers crossedd the blood is nothing to worry about Jenn, and that you can get him home soon, and all sorted on new food.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Jenn, I just wanted to check in and see how toe is doing today, isn't it today too that Juan is gonna go see toe?

And I wanted to see how Charlie is getting along too.

After all you have done for Toe and Charlie you deserve something good to happen in your life.

Still sending prayers and hugs from Mississippi for you.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I called the vet at 8am and the vet had not checked him yet. I am supposed to call back at 10:30 OR he will call me.

I will ask about flushing the bladder. Noone has mentioned that to me. He is on antibiotics right now. I didn't know that ill yesterday and I am sure glad.

And yes, today Toe gets to see his daddy.... Juan can't wait to see him. As soon as I hear from the vet I will let yall know.

And charlie is doing great!! Him and Molly and Emma are running and barking nonstop in the back yard. He has progressed to the point of me not crating him on the nights I am home. He sleeps on a chaise lounge chair with the kittens. They curl at the end of his feet. He is the fastest runner on those little short legs I have ever seen. They chase him nonstop and if they quit he picks at them till they chase him some more. He's a good dog... He fits in.

I'll be back shortly.... I'm going to make some breakfast and put a couple loads of clothes on and change the bed.. Then my day is done.

I can't wait to see husband. Been missing him bad.

Oh, and I bought Toe his food yesterday. I bought 4 lbs of the SD and 6 cans of soft SD. So he is set.....

As far as feeding the other the Science Diet... they are looking at me like I am crazy. They are starving themselves. I had to take the purina up so they will eat it. Does it taste bad???? What's the deal here???? They are not laying around like they are waiting for food so maybe it just takes less.... But....they sure haven't eaten it like Purina... I have the dog food up too.

Jenn

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as feeding the other the Science Diet... they are looking at me like I am crazy. They are starving themselves. I had to take the purina up so they will eat it. Does it taste bad????
I don't know, I haven't tasted it.

Seriously, I think you said it was 'hairball' formula, and I (err, my cats) haven't tried that variety. Everyone here is happy with the CD, though. On another note, they all think the science diet kitten dry is a treat (much more economical than real treats
).

As far as 60lbs lasting a month, I understand the scepticism (sp?). You probably need more. But...Since I've upped the canned amount, we're still on last month's bag as of today. My fur kids aren't skinny, either.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

As far as feeding the other the Science Diet... they are looking at me like I am crazy. They are starving themselves. I had to take the purina up so they will eat it. Does it taste bad???? What's the deal here???? They are not laying around like they are waiting for food so maybe it just takes less.... But....they sure haven't eaten it like Purina... I have the dog food up too.

Jenn
From what I understand (and learned here at TCS,) the Purina dry is sprayed with a coating that essentially causes the cats to become addicted to it, like junk food. As long as there is no more of that available, they should eventually realize that they have to eat what you put out - but then again, I'm Meowmy to a girl who'd rather starve than eat something she doesn't like.

I'm sending out more vibes for Toe-Man - no more bleeding, let's get some healthy bladder and bowel elimination happening!!!

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So........they are little Purina junky drug addict cats..... Purina should be ashamed..... There is no reason to do that except to make money.... Course all of can become addicted to junk food. It might be the same as eating a happy meal three times a day instead of steak and salad. The vet is ordering me a 20 lb bad of regular science diet for them instead of the hairball formula. I plan on, if I can get them to eat it, feeding them a combo of it.

As far as Toe, he is eating good this morning and he POOPED.. First poop since last Friday...

They are not flushing the bladder at this time. They said there are two reasons why...

1--He is urinating well through the cath now even though it has blood in it.
2--The crystals that he has now are causing the bleeding and the food should correct that.

They said the blood was normal with this type of circumstance. Poor little guy.

Monday the vet plans on pulling the cath and that is a very big day... We are hoping he can urinate on his own. If he can't urinate on his own, all will have been in vain..... Monday is the deciding day on Toe man..... I don't want to lose him but quality of life if you can't urinate on your own doesn't have many options. Since he can poop, I feel confident he will be able to urinate. I got him to the vet as rapidly as I could have based on his actions so hopefully all will go well in the tinkle department. They are very encouraging at the vet. After today, toe won't have any visitors until Monday because of our work schedules. I start back on the night shift tonight and I sleep days and when I will be awake, the vet is closed. Husband is changing shifts to 4-midnight tomorrow. So with the weekend starting, it will be Monday... He has been in the hospital now for 5 days...

I am ready for him here at home. I have a crate I plan on feeding Toe man in. I'm not going to keep him crated but I will during meals. Then I am taking the food up. I have a big wire crate that is about 2x2 that I got at Walmart for multiple small cats and their vet trips. It is not quite square but that is a close estimate of the size... It is perfect for feeding Toe.

Beandip, how much to they actually eat in a day between 8 cats... do you just keep the bowl full. That's what I have been used to doing so they always had food out... The science diet just sits there in the bowl. They have eaten some but the amt is drastically less than purina.

I am also going to quit giving them table food like bacon. I will still give them tuna but no grease... Maybe a little slice/smoked turkey.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have been on an emotional rollercoaster and I hope it ends soon. It will be a difficult weekend, not seeing him and waiting for Monday to see if he is OK. On feeding, I wouldn't give them anything that has been salted or smoked, as those foods are very dehydrating and that is the last thing they need, even as treats. Good luck for Monday.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, I am glad he seems to be doing so well, and will keep my fingers crossed he can tinkle on Mon!!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I called the vet at 8am and the vet had not checked him yet. I am supposed to call back at 10:30 OR he will call me.

I will ask about flushing the bladder. Noone has mentioned that to me. He is on antibiotics right now. I didn't know that ill yesterday and I am sure glad.

And yes, today Toe gets to see his daddy.... Juan can't wait to see him. As soon as I hear from the vet I will let yall know.

And charlie is doing great!! Him and Molly and Emma are running and barking nonstop in the back yard. He has progressed to the point of me not crating him on the nights I am home. He sleeps on a chaise lounge chair with the kittens. They curl at the end of his feet. He is the fastest runner on those little short legs I have ever seen. They chase him nonstop and if they quit he picks at them till they chase him some more. He's a good dog... He fits in.

I'll be back shortly.... I'm going to make some breakfast and put a couple loads of clothes on and change the bed.. Then my day is done.

I can't wait to see husband. Been missing him bad.

Oh, and I bought Toe his food yesterday. I bought 4 lbs of the SD and 6 cans of soft SD. So he is set.....

Jenn
I am glad that Charlie has adapted so well with you, I am glad to that you now feel comfortable enough to let sleep out of the crate at nights too.

I am sending pp prayers to toe man for Monday, make sure you let us know what happens when they take out his cath. I will be thinking about him on Monday too. I feel pretty confident out his being able to pp too. He did go poo poo, so why not pp?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beandip, how much to they actually eat in a day between 8 cats... do you just keep the bowl full. That's what I have been used to doing so they always had food out... The science diet just sits there in the bowl. They have eaten some but the amt is drastically less than purina.
They have 2 bowls that I keep full. I'm home pretty much all the time, so the bowls are never empty. I just checked my cup that I use to scoop the food with, it holds 4 cups - so I would say I was topping the bowls off w/6 cups per day. Now, with a lot more canned it's about half that amount of dry per day. It really doesn't seem like much food...it was a surprise to me when I realized I was only buying the dry every other payday. That's actually what encouraged me to go ahead and get them on more canned food...'cause the dry wasn't breaking me, budget-wise. They went through a ton of Purina, but their weights have maintained before and after the switch (purina to c/d)...even my 9 year old, who was on purina for a longggg time

Mine all seemed to like it. I noticed that the kibbles are very light weight, if that makes any sense. It's like they have air in them. They explode when you step on them. Maybe the cats get tired of all that chewing LOL - but the calories must be higher?? 'cause their weights maintain
Sorry for the length. Sometimes I shouldn't think out loud.