need suggestions till Monday

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear that there have been improvements and that he is still alive and hanging in there! I'm so glad you were able to find a vet, and a good one at that!!!

Sending out more vibes that he continues to improve!!!

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations I Am Still Sending Vibes Your Way!!!!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to have to change how I feed the other cats. I will have to have set feeding times twice a day and then take the food up so Toe won't eat any of it. I will have to figure out some other method of feeding in the enclosure. Jimmy and Felix both eat in the house but only if people aren't around the food. I guess they will have to get used to the new schedule OR I could put food out and then shut the kitty door and only open it when the food is up and out of Toes view...

We can do this. Right now I see the benefits of an enclosure with sections.

In my readings the last 24 yrs on cat food, I have found healthier cats eat canned cat food only or a raw diet. There is a larger water content in both of them. Food down all the time is NOT GOOD for the urinary track of cats... Several small meals daily is better than food all the time.

Something interesting I also read. Feral cats/wild cats don't get this disease. It is a disease of the pampered house variety... They [docs] are unsure why this is, but is only occurs in humans pet cats. Since this nearly always occurs in male neutered cats, that could be the reason. Most wild/ferals are not neutered.

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yay! i'm sooo glad to hear he's doing better. sounds like you found a great vet at a crucial time. *more healing vibes to toe man*

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those vibes are working!!!!!! Thank you everyone!!!

Here is Toe Man when he was just a Toe Kitten. He has always been spoiled.

raju

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is the cutest kitty i have ever seen in my life lol
I can tell toe man is going to make it .
He has the best owners and more love than the whole world put together!

Thats giving him all the energy to fight for his life.
*love and healing vibes*

crittergirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just caught up with this thread. I am so happy that your precious little toe man is feeling better!
I cannot even imagine how scared you were!
Vibes and prayers for you and toe man from me and the gang. He is lucky to have such a good meowmy!

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Jenn...I just found this thread. All my thoughts and prayers are with you and Toe-man right now. He's such a doll, and always one of my personal favorites of your bunch!

hugs

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Renny. I do feel he is on the road to recovery but only time will tell for sure. But today, I am hopeful. I can't wait to see him on Wednesday....

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad the vet wa able to determine what was wrong with Toe Man!
Poor guy....do you know for sure when you'll get to bring him home, or does it depend on how soon he gets better?

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcribbs

Toe Stood Up.........toe Stood Up!!!!! HaHaHaHaHa

He did not stand long but he did get on his feet all on his own...

He has Struvite crystals in his urine. This can be controlled by diet low in magnesium.. and they are going to attempt to make his urine more acidic because that will dissolve this type of crystal and help prevent new ones from forming..

He is going to have to eat a food called SB for a month and then they are going to do another urinalysis and at that time depending on the results he might change food. If at that time, the crystals are dissolved, he will eat a food called CB....

And that's all I know now. I told them this morning it was possible that him not standing earlier might have something to do with his body being sore from being stuck so many times with needles. He was stuck in his stomach, all up and down his back and he also has stitches in his private area along his penis to hold the cathyter in place. He is such a baby that he probably just lay there wanting his mama. And that's ok.... He will always be my baby kitty man... and this little kitty man has went through absolute hell.

But he is also very weak still.. But he is better and they also said he did attempt to eat a bite or two... That is very encouraging too.

I am soooo happpy that toe stood up!!! And that he tried to eat!!! I feel like we made it to the vet just in time to turn it around. I think he is going to live now...

Jenn
That is the best news ever Jenn, I am soooooooooooooooooooooo glad that toe stood up, even if only for a minute. And it sound like him trying to eat is also a good sign.

I am still sending prayers from Mississippi for toe and for you. Please continue to keep us posted on his progress. I wish the vet would let you see him before Wednesday, I think toe probably misses you and he might would start to feel better if he just saw you. He is probably scared of the vet place too, all them other sounds around that he is not used to.

Sambo never stayed at the vets without us, if we went to see the vet and he couldn't see him right then we left and went home, I think Sambo woulda got freaked out by all the sounds going on, when we went somewheres Sambo either went with us, or he stayed with my daughter, or the neighbors come and took care of him. He never got boarded anywheres.

Anyways I hope to hear that toe improves daily.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, I am just catching up with this Jenn, and am so pleased that he seems to be doing well - I am sure he will pull through this just fine, producing yellow urine is a good sign, and I am sure they will be able to dissolve the crystals. Fingers crossed for his kidney function. I do hope you can manage on the food side of things. I suspect that it isnt just neutering that means pet cats get this more than ferals - pets are more likely to be overweight and get fed things like dry food (both contributors) than feral cats.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jenn....
Toe is a fighter.

Have his kidneys started producing urine?

Please, post a thread for asking for help, about the type of crystals that Toe has in the Health forum.
You should get a lot of feedback there.

Toe Man

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The love on the board never ceases to amaze me.

Jenn, you have a very special cat in Toe Man but you already knew that huh? I'm adding my vibes to the rest. I bet you can't wait to see him Wed. It wouldn't surprise me if he demeanure changes when he sees you. It could give him another much needed boost on his way to recovery.

{{{{get well soon Toe}}}}

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is certainly the best news I've heard all day. You rock little Toe man. We're all pulling for you.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jenn, I'm so happy that Toe Man is improving.
When I read that he stood up and took a couple of bites of food it brought tears to my eyes.

You have a real fighter there and that picture of him as a kitten has to be the cutest thing I've ever seen.
He just as handsome now, only bigger.

I will keep you and Toe Man in my thoughts and prayers.
Something tells me that he's looking forward to Wednesday as much as you are.
Bless his little heart.

How our boy Charlie doing?

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's wonderful to hear that Toe man is doing better.
He's working hard to recover and get home to you. More {{{get well soon}}} vibes for Toe Man.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my Polly had struvite crystals, she went on s/d and then c/d after the crystals were dissolved. It works great, so it should work for Toe Man, too. Do they know what caused the crystals?