Need suggestions for our barn cats

zcb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our horse rescue is being forced to move because the owners of the property have sold it to housing developers. We've been there for over 30 years but we have to move and our new property is in the country and has lots of coyotes and a neighbor has seen a bob cat. He said the neighborhood cats have all disappeared. We have 2 barn cats that won't be able to go with us due to the coyote situation and we don't know what to do. They have never been inside a house and they only know the barn which is always open. They are both neutered males and are around 6 years old. They are sweet boys but would never be happy inside. We've tried bringing them home with various volunteers but it never worked. One is very friendly but the other one is leery of people. Any suggestions at all as to what we should do? We are heartsick thinking of what is to become of them.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all thank you for looking out for these 2 boys. Is there a barn close to where you are that would be willing to take them? What area / region are they at now, maybe someone on this site can provide options

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

zcb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is no one close that can take them. We are in Tampa, Fl.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could you possibly build a catio for them? They would still be outside, but safe in an enclosure. You could also attach it to a room inside your house via a window or sliding door so they could be both inside and outside.

Bringing outdoor cats inside can happen. It just takes lots of time and patience. Almost 3 year ago I moved and brought 3 feral cats with me to live inside. They had a room of their own away from my other cats. It took time. They are still skittish, but all move around the house and all enjoy our interactions. Yet, if someone comes to the house, you will never see them! When I moved, one of the ferals had been living outside on my deck for 7 years. He had never lived inside. He was the quickest to adapt! So just because these cats are 6 doesn't mean the can't adjust. It just takes some techniques and lots of time and patience. Yes, at first they may yowl, howl, climb the walls and hide and not eat. Yet usually within in a week most have calmed down.

They are a few people here on TCS who have built wonderful catios for their cats to enjoy both inside and outside living.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zcb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bringing them inside is not an option. We're a farm and we also have dogs and the dogs come inside. We also have people who come and go into the house and doors are left open all the time. It's a nice idea but wouldn't work for our situation.

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Being that there seems to be no other option, it looks like they will need to go to the new location with you and just take their chances with the wildlife. It’s not inevitable that they will be victims. If the only other unthinkable option is to leave them behind to fend for themselves, then I would take them with me. Yes, it’s not ideal but sometimes there isn’t an ideal option and you have to choose between the fire and the frying pan.

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To add to my reply, maybe there are some kinds of wildlife deterrents that one could look into, to at least keep the wildlife down a little, around the perimeter of the property?

jonb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You could put them in a kennel or maybe 1 of those portable chicken coups, let them out late in the morning and feed and put them back before dark . Cats sleep something like 20 hours of 24. They could adapt to that lifestyle.

Attachments

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to mention looking into barn program where your cats are placed for a fee on a farm (not a cheap option). I looked into them for some of my semi ferals, had to look into cheaper option because it was for 4 cats I was trying to place.

Since you are now taking them with you, you will have to invest in their safety. Someone mentioned a catio, but what about an enclosure of some kind? If this is not a feasible option, then you are going to have to think of ways to keep your cats safe. Places where cats can climb and get a way real quick from a predator. I don't know why I think of some kind of tree house that cats can climb or elevated platform that only they can climb (i know it is kind of crazy, but just entertaining all ideas). While elevation is important, so is hiding places. Maybe you can place some predator proof escape/hideaway places on your property for the cats to make a quick escape. Survey your property and see what you can do for the kitties. Also don't forget deterrents. I heard of someone who had a coyote problem where their chickens were being picked off. Don't know how this guy got a hold of it, but he put Cougar urine in strategic places on his property. He hasn't seen a coyote since.

Anyway, just tossing ideas out there. I hope you find a suitable solution soon. All the best with your move and thanks for thinking about the kittys 🙂

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Our horse rescue is being forced to move because the owners of the property have sold it to housing developers. We've been there for over 30 years but we have to move and our new property is in the country and has lots of coyotes and a neighbor has seen a bob cat. He said the neighborhood cats have all disappeared. We have 2 barn cats that won't be able to go with us due to the coyote situation and we don't know what to do. They have never been inside a house and they only know the barn which is always open. They are both neutered males and are around 6 years old. They are sweet boys but would never be happy inside. We've tried bringing them home with various volunteers but it never worked. One is very friendly but the other one is leery of people. Any suggestions at all as to what we should do? We are heartsick thinking of what is to become of them.
Can they not stay in the stables with the horses?