Need Suggestions for Four Month Old Who Is Destructive-Help!

tinkerbeltink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a one year old neutered male who has been a great cat. No problems with any issues. The only time he has ever been difficult was when I found a five week old kitten outside. I had to deal with his hissing, aggression, etc. towards the kitten, for about a month. We had the introduction thing and separation until they were friends and were fine.

The problem is the female kitten. She is four months old and destructive. She has chewed through two phone lines, with one involving getting a new phone. She also ripped a hole in wallpaper and is clawing at carpet. She focuses on carpet at door frames where the carpet meets a tile floor. She has really made an eyesore in one room.

I have tried covering the doorway with a blanket and spraying Nature's Miracle anti-scratch spray. It still continues. I am constantly worried that she will destroy carpet in a living room or dining room that would be incredibly expensive to replace.

There is a vertical scratching post in the room where she has been the worst. The rooms I am worried about have a vertical scratching post and a horizontal floor scratching box. Two of three have carpet on them. She uses all of them, but still goes for the floor carpet. She never sees the adult cat do this with floor carpet. The kitten is also pushy. If he is eating, and she wants some, she pushes him out of the way to put her head in his bowl. She also has low tolerance for being held. She loves my company, but doesn't want me to hold her. She also has a fascination for water and always tries to get into my empty bathtub to lick residue water or play with rocks on a candle decoration. She almost comes across as determined and strong willed.

I am at my wits end with her over the carpet. I can't put up with her destroying it. I have thought about placing area rugs or bathroom rugs over the carpet to tile areas until she breaks the habit, but I don't know if she will attempt to get under it or could.

I owned a previous cat for almost ten years, until she died. Like my male, she never messed with carpet. The cats I grew up with never did it, either.

I am at my wits end and don't want to declaw or rehome, but I can't have her destroying stuff. Suggestions?

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
(1) keep her claws clipped and then she can't really hurt the carpet

(2) YES by all means get some throw rugs or bathroom rugs and put over the spots she is digging the most, or even heavy outside door mats.

(3) I am not sure what kind of scratching items you have for her, but the idea is to find something she likes better than what she is currently scratching

As for dominance, you can't change that.  They all have their personalities and the two of the will work it out, you can't do it for them.  You can feed them in separate rooms if it's a problem.  I have to do that with a few of mine.  Those who back down are fed in a separate room and the dominant ones can work it out, they take turns according to dominance, there are several food bowls, and no one goes hungry.  Some just have to wait longer than others.  But the wimps all eat together in a separate room and none of them bother each other.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the scratching really bothers you, you could always fit Soft Paws claw covers on. Imo, these are the humane alternative to declawing. The only disadvantage is that they need replacing regularly (I believe you replace them every time the cat's claws need clipping). There are all kinds of different scratches you can get - trees/condos, posts, mats, horizontal, wall, corner...you name it, you can probably find it. Its worth trying different materials too...some cats just LOVE cardboard scratchers, while others prefer carpet or hessian/rope posts. If she shows a particular enthusiasm for one of your carpets, you can always try to get a sample or offcut of it, and make that into a scratcher for her. Its all about giving plenty of options, and in the areas where she wants to scratch (usually the more socially significant areas of the house).

[article="32493"][/article][article="29678"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="29669"][/article][article="32827"][/article]

As red top rescue red top rescue said, there isn't an easy answer for the dominance. Daily interactive playtime should help with appropriate energy release though, and Spirit Essences may help the kitten to level out a bit. Having said that, she IS a kitten, and will still be testing the boundaries - pushing all the time to see what she can get away with, just like a child might.

[article="0"][/article][article="0"][/article]

mtgal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's still very much a kitten. This means she needs loads of exercise. Obviously, keeping her claws trimmed will make a big difference in the amount of damage she can inflict, but it won't stop her from trying. Because I've almost always had both cats and dogs, I've learned a few tricks from both species that I sometimes interchange. Four month old puppies cannot handle absolute freedom in a house without doing damage. Most four month old kittens share this reality. Therefore, I use crates/cat condos (I use this term, but have recently learned not everyone knows what I mean, so crate for cat) to give a safe and comfortable place for the animal to rest and prevent the over-escalation of excitement. I allow my kittens/young cats freedom when I or another adult is around to supervise, but when no one is around, the kitten goes into her condo. Meanwhile, I make sure kittens get plenty of exercise and play during the day. These days I'm lucky to have a house full of animals - two dogs and three adult cats - so the animals get some energy expended just playing with one another. But I still take time daily to give each pet attention and play time. Another thing I learned from dogs is to include mental exercise along with the physical. My youngest cat loved trying to play with the dogs treat ball, even though it is too heavy for her. So I made a treat ball for her using a small plastic container. I fill it with her best treats and we play hide and seek and bat the "ball." She had to learn how to turn the ball in order to get her treats. We also play chase the stuffed mouse up and down the stairs - another great way to burn energy. Of-course, there is always the timeless feather and stick toys and cat balls that clatter as they roll. Play sessions don't have to be hours long, often just a few minutes of play throughout the day are sufficient. After the kitten begins to tire, she goes into her condo, along with a toy or two. The condo is equipped with a comfortable bed and water dish. I've done this with all my kittens over the years and it has made a huge difference in terms of destruction. If you do decide to try the condo, make sure you make it attractive for the kitten. It isn't meant to be a prison, but a happy and comfortable "room" of her own. 

badbabycharlie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
read my story Crazy kitten or kitten from hell and his update. I went through the same thing to the point where I thought of returning Bad Baby Charlie to the pet shop I bought him from. He has since grown out of is destructive phase, thankfully, and is the sweet loving kitten that I first meet 3 months ago!