Need suggestion for stinky poo smell.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 2 cats have some disgusting smelling poo! They are very careful to cover it up and I scoop immediately. But during the 'go' the smell is overpowering and hangs in the air for quite a while.
Are there any suggestions out there for a SPRAY air freshener that is non toxic to cats and are pleasant to smell..not a double whammy bathroom spray power level? I know some of you cat moms and dads have suggestions out there. Thanks for any help. . cough cough,gag,gag:barfgreen::help:

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had an odor problem.loose stools stink bad or a different brand is needed. Also use adored beast love bug probiotic.

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
What do you feed them? When I brought my Moose home two months ago he did the stinkiest poos EVER. The food he was on with the rescue was packed with legumes and that was definitely the main contributing factor to the stink, since switching his food they are much more bearable but I still scoop and chuck immediately because poop is still gonna smell like poop lol.

I am not sure if any air fresheners that are completely safe exist, since even ingredients that are technically cat safe could still cause particulate irritation in aerosol form.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My 2 cats have some disgusting smelling poo! They are very careful to cover it up and I scoop immediately. But during the 'go' the smell is overpowering and hangs in the air for quite a while.
Are there any suggestions out there for a SPRAY air freshener that is non toxic to cats and are pleasant to smell..not a double whammy bathroom spray power level? I know some of you cat moms and dads have suggestions out there. Thanks for any help. . cough cough,gag,gag:barfgreen::help:
Since the litterbox is in the bathroom, do you have an exhaust fan in there? If not, you can consider installing an exhaust fan so that the fan can extract the smell out of the bathroom. This way you don't need any bathroom spray which most of it are toxic to cats.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I also use wipes from petco or Natures Miracle on the scoops. If not done the stink stays on the scoop

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
This obviously won’t give you immediate relief, but since your kitties are so newly adopted, they’ll need time to adjust to new food and a new environment. I had the same issue when I adopted Mocha, but once she settled and grew accustomed to her food and feeding schedule, things improved with the smelly poop. She was also, by the way, very gassy. I thought I was going to have to buy a gas mask. :lol:

For airborne odor control, you might check into Nature’s Miracle. Besides having an effective neutralizer for urine problems, they also have sprays for room freshening. Their products are all geared toward pets.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since the litterbox is in the bathroom, do you have an exhaust fan in there? If not, you can consider installing an exhaust fan so that the fan can extract the smell out of the bathroom. This way you don't need any bathroom spray which most of it are toxic to cats.
Not in the bathroom..in a spare room. I was just considering some kind of ventilation seeing my tenant's bedroom is right below!!!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
How about Pooph? The TV commercial where the demonstrator squirts it in his mouth to show their are no chemicals in it

2friends of mine bought is and claim its incredible,people and pet safe ... do your own due diligence but sounds like a winner to me ,it's not an aerosol so I'd look into it

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about Pooph? The TV commercial where the demonstrator squirts it in his mouth to show their are no chemicals in it

2friends of mine bought is and claim its incredible,people and pet safe ... do your own due diligence but sounds like a winner to me ,it's not an aerosol so I'd look into it
I have that. The problem is not a furface!( and pooph works geat on shrfaces. )The problem is the poo when it hits the air!
(Trying to word it politely) .

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I have that. The problem is not a furface!( and pooph works geat on shrfaces. )The problem is the poo when it hits the air!
(Trying to word it politely) .
Ah,so it does nothing for the environment smell like an air freshener? I see ,hmm

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve had luck with Mrs. Meyer’s basil scent (don’t use the lavender) but agree with the others it might have something to do with the input.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to get something QUICKLY!
I ended up ordering this from Chewy and it seems to explain it well as to my needs, although the reviews are not that many.
I will report back on its effectiveness of ridding the air of poo as it is being 'produced' . When they cover it up with litter it is ok, but the scent is left wafting throughout the room.

Biomehanika

Adult Cat
Purraise
I ended up ordering this from Chewy and it seems to explain it well as to my needs, although the reviews are not that many.
I will report back on its effectiveness of ridding the air of poo as it is being 'produced' . When they cover it up with litter it is ok, but the scent is left wafting throughout the room.

[/URL]
My concern about that is it contains lavender and lemon. I believe lavender is toxic to cats and can cause liver problems, and cats generally hate the smell of lemon, so depending on how strong the lemon scent comes through it could possibly deter them from the box.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But it is not being sprayed on the box! One spray in the air. They do their duty and then go racing up and down the hall, no where near the box or the room containing the box.
The problem is not the poo in the box..that is immediately scooped away.
What would you suggest to help seeing that you said above that you do not believe ANY room sprays exist that are safe for felines?

Last edited:

Biomehanika

Adult Cat
Purraise
I know it’s not being sprayed directly on the box, but lemon being sprayed in the air could still deter them from the room altogether, potentially leading them to not want to spend time in the room or use that box. People use lemon/citrus fruit sprays and peels to keep cats away from their plants, gardens, and other things because they really do hate the scent in general and it works well as a deterrent, so just something to be aware of. The lavender is much more concerning than the lemon, though.

I personally do not use any form of air fresheners so I honestly don’t have any suggestions there, toxicity issues aside fragrant aerosol sprays and plug-ins are just not healthy for pets or people in general because of the phthalates (endocrine disrupters) and can also cause neurological issues, environmental allergy issues, dermatitis, asthma, and a whole host of other issues, especially in cats who are so sensitive, so I avoid them completely.

When they are not in the room you could try cleaning the floor and surfaces around the litter box with a pet friendly phthalate free cleaner and wet cloth instead. If plain vinegar and water isn’t up to par for removing the poo aftermath scent I use Method Cleaner in a non-citrus scent sometimes, it’s one of the more pet safe cleaners and smells good. I would still wait until it’s fully dry before letting the cats back in, though. A more deodorizing litter may help as well, and potentially a change in food for the long term.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

[/URL]
DO NOT EVEN TRY IT ! Smells like strong ancient perfume gone bad on the thrift store shelf! Industrial strength. I will spray it in the garbage bins this summer outside when I wash them out. Only use I can think of,it's that bad!
Mrs Meyer basil is next.