Need some vibes and help

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had to take my mom's car from her, but she kind of agreed to it. She moved closer to my sister, but she was really only there for a few weeks before she had a sudden heart attack and died. She was 79 at the time. We figured we preferred to explain to Mom that she couldn't drive than explain to someone else's mom why we had let her drive and kill their child. I've known people who just went out and bought their parents a 1979 Battering Ram so they'd "be safe in an accident."

Dottie's mom lost her license after an accident. The accident wasn't her fault; she got run off the road by another car, and Dottie's brother was with her and told the authorities about it, but she was 88 years old and they said she had to pass a driving test before she got her license back. She went down and took it 3 times and gave up; she just couldn't pass it.

Fortunately, she has another of Dottie's brothers there at home who can drive her where she needs to go.

Dottie's dad was a terrible driver 40 years ago, before we got married, so, although he kept his license, he almost never drove the rest of his life.

On the other hand, one of our part-time drivers at work is 85 years old, and he has an excellent driving record.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope I have outsmarted my dad. He had his coat on today and was going to drive. I directed him back inside and made him a second dinner.

I have taken the starter fuses out of both of the cars he has. So, he can have all the keys he wants but if he doesn't have the fuses, he ain't going anywhere.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Heh, he had fuses in the basement that he went and got.

Funny thing, they did not revoke his license. And they did NOT take his keys like I was told they did. The keys were still in his unlocked car at McDonalds. He has an old car that no one would want but the radio and other things were stolen out of it. When a policeman tells you something, you take them at their word.

During subsequent doctors appointments I find out he has an issue with blood sugar. It has been on the high side. When he fell he just ate two apple pies and coffee with sugar.

Monday he starts balance/strength training at the local facility. My dad is very eager to go. I bought him a new memory foam mattress for his bed and have been very conscience of his meals. No more apple pies!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do they have transportation there for senior citizens? My mom used to take the bus when she was starting to go downhill and couldn't get around very good. They would come to the house, pick her up, take her where she needed to go, then come back and get her to take her home. Its not ideal and not like having your own car, but it may be an option so he doesn't get isolated. Whem my M-I-L had to stop driving, and she was in the house alone a lot because most her friends also either weren't driving or had passed, I think that is what hastened her dementia. I wish you and your dad well