Need Some Opinions - Help!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So happy you got to see them both and those sweet sweet kittens. All is well. Just think of the lives you have saved. No more unwanted kittens and all cats will be adopted. I know it is hard to say good bye as you are attached to them. I would be the same way. But trying to look at how wonderful their lives will be now that they are no longer outside. They will have a warm safe place to live with a family that loves them. You did a most wonderful thing in helping these cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
shadowsrescue shadowsrescue , thanks for your words!!

Since you seem to be about the only one reading this thread, let me kind of put you on the spot (sorry). I talked a few posts ago about the truth distorting and white lies that have gone on in this process. Kind of like the fosters were withholding information of their overall plan, just to leak a little bit of new information each time we would see them. So, let me please repeat what I asked earlier (see below) in the hopes I can at least hear your personal perspective of it.

Is this typical of the foster systems in general to tell little white lies to those who turn over cats - or, are my neighbor and me out-of-the-norm for wanting to follow the cats until they are actually adopted??? :confused2:
Thanks!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All I know is that rescue work is really hard. You do the best you can. The job of the rescue is to get the cats a permanent home as soon as possible. Each rescue works differently. I am sorry that you felt they told white lies. I think they felt that since neither of you could take the cats, it was time for you to move along. The rescue needs to now do its job and get the cats placed. They really don't have the time to keep you in the loop. I know that sounds a bit harsh. Yet rescue groups are swamped. It is kitten season. You and the neighbor turned the kittens over to them. I look at it from the point of view that the rescues need to keep their system of moving cats going. If you want to visit or see the cats it can interfere with what they are doing. I know it's really really hard as you both were attached to the cats and only want the best for them. I don't think it's too much for them to send you notifications of their progress and where the cats are in their system. Yet, they are very busy and doing the best they can. In all honesty, they might not have wanted you and your neighbor around any longer. Once you release the cats to them, it is their business.

Did the rescue group pay for the spays? Who is paying for all of their food? I assume it's the rescue group. Did you or your neighbor make a donation to the group or did they charge you a fee for retrieving the cats? Each rescue works differently.

I cannot say that rescues deliberately tell white lies or keep people out of the loop. They have so many cats to worry about it's very hard to keep humans in the loop after the cats have been relinquished to them. I do hope they offer you the courtesy of knowing when Mia and Beba get adopted.

I know none of this makes it any easier for you. I hope the rescue group will give you and your neighbor some peace of mind that Mia and babies as we as Beba are doing well.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Again, thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Not terribly surprised by your perspective - I get it. I just think that telling us up front what their plan was and letting us know that this is their way of doing business would have been a more professional approach. Playing 'dodge ball' with the truth doesn't help these individuals' credibility, and in essence the organization they represent.

I donate money and have ran/will continue to run some errands for them; my neighbor does not have the resources to do so. The Cats Can org. actually paid for Beba's spaying/testing/etc. and have paid for a good chunk of both cats' food/supplies. I merely supplement it.

I can track Beba's adoption status through their web site. Actually, this is how I found out she was put up for adoption. If I hadn't checked ahead of time, we have only found out by seeing her on display at PetSmart. Just a matter of days before, we were told Beba needed more socialization. Guess that makes the foster a wonder-woman - lol!

The rescue lady who is still taking care of Mia and babies is still open to allowing me to follow along - likely because I told her I will continue to pay/pick up food (selfishly for me to be able to see Mia and babies when I drop off the food). When Mia is separated from her babies/spayed/tested/vax'd, she said I will know, and also when she is finally officially put up for adoption. Not sure how that works with the babies - I will find out.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you did a really good job helping get those cats to the rescue in good shape. A lot of time the cats are in bad shape requiring a lot of medical expense just because no one noticed them before. I know you had an up hill battle to get the trapping organized, and to put them in a situation which would actually be the best for them. You have to remember that.

I and others remember the other neighbor who was going to keep them and maybe not and maybe they were ready and maybe not and didn't think they could get pregnant for pity's sake.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Went to see Mia and her baby boys! They are 2 weeks old now, and crawling around some - even being curious about Mia's food - haha! Here are the latest pics (sorry, not that great of quality).

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Made another (unexpected) visit to see Mia and babies, yesterday. Starting to crawl even more and be nosy!! Today is clean the crate out day (good thing!).

Beba is in a trial adoption home. :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

Attachments

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Those kitten are just so precious. I am sure they will have great homes in no time.
Yea for Beba!! I hope that she will adjust easily.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Holy Crap!!!! Saw Mia and babies today - all good. Babies are 3 weeks old. They are crawling around like crazy, particularly Baby #1. Wants out of the crate at every chance he can get!! Baby #2 kind of hangs back and watches his brother, and then thinks about doing the same.

BUT, Mia is now the proud mother of 4 more - yes, FOUR MORE. Someone dumped 4 babies (maybe 2 weeks old?) on cat rescue lady. OMG.

Have pics of the 'original' 3, and one of the new four cuddled in the crate, along with whoever else was in there at the time - lol. Rescue lady said they all look healthy (I hope she knows what she is talking about). There is one runt - the most verbal of them all - and very, very mobile.

For the love of god.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Follow up to previous post just above - rescue cat lady says Mia's by-birth-babies are getting their teeth and she wants to see if they will start eating some kitten food. She's also saying if they are over 2 pounds, they could be neutered. Isn't this a little PREMATURE? I am worried she is shoving out older babies for new. Should I press her about this if I can????

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know that is pretty common with rescues. If there are abandoned kittens it's best for them to have milk from a lactating mom. If not they would need to be bottle fed.

The rule for spay/neuter is 2lbs . Some want it to be 2 months and 2 lbs, but many of the spay/neuter clinics say which ever comes first.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Technically, I don't have an issue with the new babies nursing from Mia, as long as she can handle going from feeding 2 to 6 without a problem. That is a drastic increase after having only had to nurse 2 for the past 3 weeks.

I gather her milk production will increase with 'demand'? Rescue lady claims she is already eating four 5 oz cans of food a day with only nursing two babies. Does this mean her intake needs to exceed what she is already eating?

What I have more of an issue with is:

1.) trying to start 3 week old kittens on food - especially if the point is to lessen the burden on Mia going from 2 to 6. I am sure rescue lady isn't going to stop them from nursing at the same time.

Do others try to get 3 week old kittens to start eating some food? Is this typical?

2.) what happens if a kitten meets the 2 pound rule but is only 4 weeks old at that time? Are they spayed/neutered and returned to the mother for continued nursing/rearing?

Sorry, as you already know, I don't have any experience with any of this.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just asked the organization that cat rescue lady deals with (Cats Can), and they said they will spay/neuter as soon as they are 2 pounds (no age requirement), but they said kittens don't usually hit 2 pounds until about 2 months old. In other words, after they are likely weaned. This issue WILL be pushed with cat rescue lady.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Asked for further clarification from rescue organization - now they say 2 pounds and 8 weeks, but disclaimed it by adding the comment 'depending on indivudual circumstances'. Nice - NOT.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I realize at this point I am talking to myself, but in addition to the above unanswered concerns, there is a new one on the horizon. Cat rescue lady is talking about removing the crate that Mia and her - now 6 - babies are living in. The new four kittens may be 3 weeks old by now?, Mia's two will be 4 weeks tomorrow. One of the new ones is tiny, tiny, tiny.

All of them would be living on the bathroom floor, with blankets covering most of the area I guess. Cat rescue lady thinks this will give Mia a way to jump up on the bathroom counter as a respite from the kittens. All sounds harmless, yes?

Wouldn't it be better for them to have a big box to be in where they can't crawl around on the bathroom floor, but with a high enough entry for Mia to get in and out of? Still keeping them somewhat confined?

I will tell you, that bathroom floor has not been cleaned for months I would guess (remember, this is her deceased father's house that no one has lived in for months and months). The bath tub is full of boxes (filled with stuff or empty, I don't know) and the counter is loaded with crap.

Sorry, just once again venting. The earlier issue I asked about (trying to feed them food already) is probably of more concern to me.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This will be my last post - again, it really is just for my own sake that I am even adding this post.

Beba has officially been adopted. Mia and her 2 + 4 new kittens are fine. Hopefully, all will go as well as can be expected until all 6 are weaned - not sure when that will be, but hopefully not until they all have reached at least 8 weeks.

I will continue to visit with them and provide any support I can to cat rescue lady until they are all moved on to foster care for neutering/spaying/vaxes, and ultimately adoption. The babies will go quickly I would imagine, as is the usual case. I will follow up on Mia until she is adopted, as that might take a little longer since she is not a kitten anymore.

Pics - Mia, Mia Baby #1, Mia Baby #2, and then the 4 abandoned kittens.

Attachments

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for continuing to update. I wish the best for all of them. I hope Beba is doing well in her new home. I am sure the kittens will go quickly and hopefully Mia too. It is so nice of you that you are able to visit and provide support for these cats.