Need some more vibes...

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My little foster tabby Abigail is ill. It appears she has had a recurrence of the calivcivirus that claimed her brother last month. Need some good vibes to get her through the next few days. And prayers that Annabelle and Momma haven't caught it again.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My positive energy if flowing through the ethernet...just for Abigail....

newfostermom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I,m sending vibes and prayers too. How do you know it is calcivirus, not some other virus? I'm just curious because I have been caring for a very sick pregnant momma....the vet keeps saying no way to tell which virus for sure. What are the sick kitties symptoms?
Is she on an antibiotic?? Cepha drops are really taking away the worst of it for Patches who is due any time now! So sad to hear you lost a kitten. How old was he??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by newfostermom

I,m sending vibes and prayers too. How do you know it is calcivirus, not some other virus? I'm just curious because I have been caring for a very sick pregnant momma....the vet keeps saying no way to tell which virus for sure. What are the sick kitties symptoms?
Is she on an antibiotic?? Cepha drops are really taking away the worst of it for Patches who is due any time now! So sad to hear you lost a kitten. How old was he??
Thanks for all the good vibes everyone! The symptoms of calicivirus in adults is blisters in the mouth and stomach, drooling (since blisters swell the mouth), problems with digestion (i.e. diarrhea) and in the kittens it appears as weakness in the limbs (or pain - when i found abigail she was holding one paw up and limping, and had little coordination). There is no medication for it, just pain relievers so that they little ones will keep eating until they can fight it off. They way i knew was from the two rescue directors who combined have about 50 years of experience....and have seen it before. It's fatal in 50% of kittens (and it was what I lost Archie too last month). Abigail is showing some signs of recovery...but it may be that the pain meds are masking it. I'm keeping an eye on her, and making sure she keeps eating.

Hope patches starts feeling better too!

ps: calicivirus is covered in regular vaccines so if your cat is been vaccinated then they are probably safe.

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will continue to send Prayers and Get Well Vibes to Abigail. Get well soon sweetie!

newfostermom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info.....is she feeling any better today? Can they give antibiotic to protect against a secondary infection? That Calcivirus sounds awful....I dont know if Patches was vaccinated for anything because she is a foster cat...I'm so sorry and hoping she's doing better today.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Abigail refused to eat this morning...so i'll try again this afternoon. She's very lethargic but not dehydrated. I think her poor immune system is trying desparately to fight off the infection. Unfortunately i don't think there are any antibiotics for virus'. She should start to rebound today or tomorrow if she's going to....

thanks for all the prayers and vibes.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just looking in to see how see is doing, hope she starts to eat soon.
Best wishes and vibes to you all.
Anne