need some input on my cat

kaylaprice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hey guy's! I have a cat who is about 12weeks old now and iv been seen him change since he was a kitten. when he was first born he was pure white now he has color on hes ears nose and tail. I also stared seeing that his eyes are slowly going more red and losing there blue color that he was born with i was just wondering if he was albino. A week ago i had to give him a bath because my little one got him dirty and seen that his skin color is almost gray you can also see it around his eyelids when i took him to get his shots and neutered the vet told me that he was albino but he was a rear bread because he has a ring tail but iv been looking up albinism  and cant find to much on it  can any of you help ????

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The pointed gene (he's a red tabby point, that's why his tail is stripey :D) is a form of albinism. But he's not fully albino. His eyes will be blue---they may be getting lighter blue but they won't be all pink (blue eyes always glow red in the flash, though). He must have some Siamese in his background to give him the pointed gene---but it could have been a hundred generations ago! :tongue2: Both parent cats need to carry the pointed gene to pass it on to their babies.

He's adorable! What's his name?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kaylaprice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well it was casper well still is but i guess it doesnt really go anymore lol

kaylaprice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
also his eyes glow red all the time there to the point now where his eyes look purple its kinda cool also my boyfriend said that the vet told him it's a flame point what ever that means 

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aww Casper is a great name!  I have a bi-color, white/cream/reddish tabby named Casper.  Your boy is far more white than mine is 

kaylaprice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yeah when we wer adopting him thats what they named him and my little one loved it so we kept it only to find out that he was no longer white when we went to pick him up lol 

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I think Casper is still a cute name for a red point.      and they often do stay pretty light colored on the bodies so maybe it will still be fitting. 

I sometimes call my lilac point Thai "Ghosty" because his body is still so light even as an adult.   Red points ( or red tabby points) tend to be even paler on the body than lilac points. 

Interesting thing about the pointed pattern is that the color  of the fur is related to temperature of the skin.   That is why they're white at birth, because they were inside their mother where it is very warm.    Then they gradually start to get their color,  and it is the most dense on the cooler parts of the body.   The blue eye are related to the pattern. 

He is an adorable kitten! 

hippo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 the vet told him it's a flame point what ever that means 
I believe 'flame point' is also known as red point, so his face and tail will go orange. It develops over time and can take a few years to get to its true colour.

Your vet is incorrect on it being a 'rare breed' though, as since kitty isn't papered, kitty isn't technically any breed. Plus a cat doesn't have to be a particular breed to have point colouring, as someone mentioned up above. Still, it's very rare around where I live, so rare is right!

I love the last photo of him sitting so elegantly with his tail curled around his little paws. So cute :)

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Yes "Flame Point" is another term for Red Point.   I think it's only officially used for Himalayans ( pointed Persians) in the Cat Fanciers Association.    

It's also used unofficially / colloquially by nonbreeders  and less informed breeders for Red Point cats of other breeds.   Some people like it since it is a more dramatic sounding term. 

Casper isn't a breed anyway , so call him whichever you like! 

You notice that Willowy called him a Red Tabby Point.   Red Points and Red Tabby Points are very very hard  ( or impossible) to tell apart,  because a tabby pattern shows up in red- based cats whether or not they have the Agouti gene that makes them a "true tabby", and is what makes a tabby pattern show up distinctly in cats with black based color.     The red ones pretty much all look like tabbies.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

kaylaprice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks guys for all the info weather or not hes albino or not i dont really care but i was read that white and albino cats are more pron to getting skin cancer is this true?? 

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  Thanks for the recent photos.  He is becoming a very handsome young fellow.

You know , looking at that head,   I think there is a chance this kitten might have a somewhat recent Siamese ancestor. 

Re skin cancer,   it is  like fair skinned people.  white cats and very pale cats do have a higher risk of damage from the sun.   It does not mean he will probably get skin cancer especially if you keep him from spending a lot of time out in direct sun in the middle of the day in summer

and over time just keep an eye on places like his ears and head where the fur is thinner ,  and if you see some  weird looking spot develop on his skin,  get it checked out.  

kaylaprice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yeah he kinda looks like it eh! my aunt has said that as well, all i know is his mother was a tabby but she was black with every color there is vary pretty. she was a stray and the father is obviously unknown lol