Need some help with school grades. Any tips???

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
jcat, by the way...what do you teach? I may need some help!

a_loveless_gem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work with high school students in their science classrooms. I help out with their work and I've even tutored for free.

Others here have given you great advice in relation to studying. Find one that suits you and stick to it. Have a routine and follow it.

With career advice, if you feel that the conversations with your counsellor is one sided, find someone else for guidance. It doesn't need to be that person. Show who you ask that you are genuine in trying to succeed. Perhaps there are other teachers that you can talk to or even your mother.

Your mother may seem like she's upset at you. She isn't. She simply wants you to do your best. I really think that perhaps it is best to be honest with your mother about how many subjects you really are failing. And perhaps from there work to a plan to accomplish your goals.

I'm currently in university and I will be finishing at the end of the year. And then after that, I'm going back for more to complete a Graduate Diploma in teaching.

22angel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would just like to say, that contrary to all of you on here (at least answering this post
) I liked doing school, and always did my homework and studied....so what I say may not sink in as much. I graduated with an average of 87% I think (or maybe it was 84%
). Anyhow, I too didn't know what I wanted to do after high school. So I didn't go to University/College nothing. I did go to NS (on the east coast of Canada) for 6 months, which I don't regret at all, but so far that has been all I've done, and that was--are you ready for this??--7 years ago in June!!!! Oh my goodness, I'm getting old! lol jj Anyways right now, at age 24, I am stuck at a dead end job, living at home, and as I have to have a car to get to work, I have to work for at least the next 4 years to pay off the stupid thing (and for all of you who say sell it, or take the bus....I live in the country, and 20 miles is a little far to catch a ride with someone!
). So what I say is do the best you can for school, maybe take some courses at a community college to see what you are into/what you'd like to do for the rest of your life, etc, and go hard at it! Believe me, it's not fun at 24, when you don't know or don't have the guts to go for what you really want to do in life, and it would have been so easy when you're 18, b/c you are fresh out of high school, ready to face the world, up for any challenge that comes along. By the time you are out of school for a couple of years, even 1, it wears off, and you have to make yourself do stuff! Anyhow, that's my 2 cents worth of advice today! I hope you do well in your classes, and go on to university/college etc!

jasminecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have to say, if my parents had let me slack when i was younger i don't think i would have gotten far in life.
My parents were EXTREMELY strict about studying when i was younger.

Yes i resented them for it. Yes it was a pain.
But at 18, i left college with three A's at Alevel (the highest marks acheivable in the UK), and i had a pick of any course at any university, including veterinary science.
I ended up picking Dentistry at a London University (Don't ask why!
)
And let me tell you, i really really appreciate and thank my lucky stars my parents pushed me so hard!
So i missed a few parties? So what?
I didn't watch too much TV..... and?
Take my word, you can catch up on all that later.
I'm still at university now, i know what it's like to not feel like working on a particular day, or when the pressure gets so much, that you just can't start. But you have to find what drives you to work, be it determination, pressure, fear....whatever!
Get text books that you enjoy reading. And concentrate, work in a quiet place. No matter what people say, i find studying with music or the TV on will not work. Write notes! Test yourself on what you just read, and reread!

I for one, when i start slacking, i close my eyes and think of all the luxuries i will be able to provide for my cats, the security of never having financial worries, the Mercedes SLK (
) and that drives me on!

Trust me on this one, study now and you will reap the benefits in tenfold when you graduate

jasminecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, have to add, that i'm a freak and in my opinion, too many breaks is a bad thing as it can distract your mind from what you're studying.

Personally for me? i study hour and a half blocks, and my break is literally as little as going downstairs and getting a drink, to have WHILE studying. Not spend half an hour drinking it downstairs (as tempting though it might be!
)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cougar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Coco Maui
You need to try some new study ideas. Get some notecards and write out questions on one side and answers on the other. You can make the cards as you read the chapters. After every section, read over the notecards and answer the questions. At the end of the chapter, you will have your own stack of cards to go back over and study later.

Do you have a way to record your voice? You could read the book aloud and record it as you read. Then play the tape back while you do other things around the house or in the car, etc...

Basically, you need to make studying fun. Good luck
What classes are you taking? I have a teaching degree, maybe I could help with more study ideas if I knew what kinds of subjects you are studying...
Currently in school Im just doing the requireds plus a few electives. I have english, auto, auto body repair, welding, human biology, weight lifting, drawing, and blah blah blah. That notecard idea sound like it would actually work for me. I always go back to the reading and search for main points, but that would eliminate it. Thanks!
What drives me to actually work on homework?
Mabye if I got a really hard electrical shock every time I didn't study.
I don't really have a choice. I can't not get into college, so I'll have to do whatever it takes. Oh and by the way, I talked to one of my teachers and I found out I have 2 big english packets, and 2 big history packets left to do. Thats less than I thought!
On the topic of studying, I think its best if I only study for .5-1 hour increments. Any more and I start to go into the mode where I read, but don't absord any of it.
Anyway, thanks everyone for the motivation. It really helps

Peace,
Brandon

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by Debby
jcat, by the way...what do you teach? I may need some help!
German to English translation, concentrating primarily on business and economics, though I also do some general stuff with the classes. The kids are training to become translators or foreign-language correspondents. What are you studying? I studied German Language & Lit, with a minor in Latin American Lit (I've forgotten almost all my Spanish, though).