Need some help with kitten diarrhea?

tigrtcat777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, We have always had cats, just older ones the last 20 tears or so. We had to put down our 18 plus year old cat a few months ago. We felt like we needed to get another cat but this time we chose a 3 month old kitten. He is a fisty entergetic boy. Loves to play, is a lap kitten just a wonderful guy. We have a 8 year old that we feed iams. So we just let the kitten eat it to.

We noticed he had runny diarrea a couple of aday after bringing him home. We thought it might be the iams doing it. We asked the shelter where we got him from what food did they feed him. They said authority. Since we have a cat and now a kitten we got authority for adault and kittens. Well that also gave him diarrhea, So we took him to the vet (banfield). They gave him a fecal test twice and it was negitive. They said feed him royal cane gastibaltestina kitten food in a can. They also gave him 2 meds one for diarrhea and a antibotic. Things went well for a couple of weeks as his stool got good. The vet also said slowly transition him to the food of our choce.That what we did for 2 weeks. His stool was good . One and a half days later he got dirrhea again. Second visit to the vet and he got anti diarrhea meds.

To make

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigrtcat777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry it didnt post all the stuff. Short story if he eats royal cane gastinaltestin kitten food hes fine, bur ians and authority dry gives him diarrhea. Need help what to do next. Sorry for the typing.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First, take a look at both labels, and make a list of what is in the Iams and authority that is NOT in the royal canine. IF you come up with one ingredient in both of the "icky" ones, you may be dealing with a simple allergy. IF that's the case, you're going to do a lot of label reading, but your kitten will thank you for it! IF there are no obvious ingredients (including fillers), then have a talk with your vet about food allergies. And let us know how the little guy is doing! Um...what is his name?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigrtcat777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His name is Boots. When he is on gasterional intestinal food he has no diarrhea. I have taken him to the vet twice and they just put him on this food and antibotics and diarrhea medicine. And say he has no parasites.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have they done a fecal test specifically for giarda and coccidia? It is different for the one for "normal" parasites. I would think that they did, but vets have fooled me before.

HI, BOOTS!