Need some help regarding Taurine

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meownstuff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks again for the continued help and the compliment on my pic LTS3! Love them boys so much!

We didn't have any accidents last night but his poop was loose again this morning. Very anxious to get our U Stew! Sure hope these guys will eat it!

meownstuff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Still hadn't gotten the U Stew as of yesterday but I understand now why his poop got terribly loose again. I discovered he had torn a small hole in the dog food bag and was having late night snacks. This also explains the reason he had not been interested in his prepared chicken. I feel terrible for giving him crunchy kibble all his life. Now he's having a hard time kicking the habit.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It takes about a week for me to get Better In The Raw (the other premix the company makes)
So be patient

meownstuff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
U Stew on the menu for tomorrow. Meanwhile, the diarrhea is pretty much stopped since the dog food was contained. I will let you guys know what the kids think of it.

meownstuff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The U Stew is a big hit with my boys. So much so they got the unopened bag down off the counter and tore little holes in it before I even opened it. Ramses still looks a little skinny I guess from the long bout with diahrea but hopefully we're on the uphill climb now. Will continue to update this thread as time goes on. Thanks again for all the help I received from everyone. Sure has been a load of stress lifted.

meownstuff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Little update: The U Stew is going well. Ramses has put some weight back on and his stool is normal most days. I feed both kitties aprox. three 2oz meals a day. I tried feeding them 2 larger meals a day but mid day they were driving me crazy with begging, breaking into the trash and any other thing that would get my attention. So, I went back to three times a day and that seemed to work for a bit. Now I'm getting woke up 2-3 hours earlier than their morning meal is scheduled. I have to admit it's driving me a little crazy and not sure how to brake the behavior. I've considered getting the timed one meal automated feeder for breakfast meals but Ramses is so clever and determined I fear he would figure out how to cheat the system. Lol.

If anyone has advice on how to remedy this problem I'd appreciate your comments.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Little update: The U Stew is going well. Ramses has put some weight back on and his stool is normal most days. I feed both kitties aprox. three 2oz meals a day. I tried feeding them 2 larger meals a day but mid day they were driving me crazy with begging, breaking into the trash and any other thing that would get my attention. So, I went back to three times a day and that seemed to work for a bit. Now I'm getting woke up 2-3 hours earlier than their morning meal is scheduled. I have to admit it's driving me a little crazy and not sure how to brake the behavior. I've considered getting the timed one meal automated feeder for breakfast meals but Ramses is so clever and determined I fear he would figure out how to cheat the system. Lol.

If anyone has advice on how to remedy this problem I'd appreciate your comments.
I actually feed my two cats four times a day, they eat commercial raw only and it's no problem for me to give an extra meal, especially later in the evening, before their bedtime snooze. This has cut down on the universal 5 am cat wake up call, now they let me sleep until 6:30 am.:)

Seriously though, cats aren't dogs who eat super-size-me meals. I do twice in the morning (if I'm home) or one morn, one lunch and two evening meals. The last meal they get after I exercise them, so they are worn out, hungry and ready for a long nap.

Good luck.

Last edited:

meownstuff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow Lisa, 4 times a day! Would you say that's common for folks who feed a raw diet? I thought 3 times a day was something. Hahah! I've decided to start looking into a dehydrator and make cat treats. My thinking is that some of this behavior is a little OCD. Certain feedings they are barely acting hungry once I serve them. I think the build up and attention they get from the new feeding schedule is part of the excitement. I'm hoping a treat here and there might help.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow Lisa, 4 times a day! Would you say that's common for folks who feed a raw diet? I thought 3 times a day was something. Hahah! I've decided to start looking into a dehydrator and make cat treats. My thinking is that some of this behavior is a little OCD. Certain feedings they are barely acting hungry once I serve them. I think the build up and attention they get from the new feeding schedule is part of the excitement. I'm hoping a treat here and there might help.
Sorry for delay here, trying to type on a cell with a disappearing keyboard, urgh!
I doubt feeding four times a day is the norm for raw, other than kittens, this is just what works for my cats, I split their total daily food intake by four meals.
Good for you to think about a dehydrator to make your own treats! I looked into that but they are expensive.

Last edited:

citrineblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm a bad raw feeder for my six cats as I free feed. They are all so different. I have two pushy ones who eat straight away and prefer it cold out of the fridge, another who doesn't like anyone or cat to watch him, a nervy one who eats only on the stairs and another two who like it warm. We locate food in various places and heights also. When we limited to three meals a day, two went down to the skinny side on the condition score cards whereas normally they are all stated to be perfect body condition by the vet. However we are in the UK where temperatures are rarely an issue. Waiting to be shot down now!!,

Last edited:

meownstuff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Know where you coming from Lisa. I post from my phone as well and it can definitely be frustrating.

I've noticed weight gain in Ramse but I feel he's still a little thin. I also think Bear Bear is smaller but I'm so used to plump free fed kitties Im not sure what a lean healthy cat should look like. Lol.

So, from what I've read people who make their own food alternate proteins every so often. I would also like to do this but was wondering do you transition gradually like you would if they were being switched to a new food?

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've noticed weight gain in Ramse but I feel he's still a little thin. I also think Bear Bear is smaller but I'm so used to plump free fed kitties Im not sure what a lean healthy cat should look like. Lol.

So, from what I've read people who make their own food alternate proteins every so often. I would also like to do this but was wondering do you transition gradually like you would if they were being switched to a new food?
There are meats that are a bit fattier, e.g., duck vs leaner meats like rabbit.    I know what you mean as far as kitty weight - our cats were between 11-12 pounds on 75% commercial raw and 25% grain-free canned but they are down to 10 lbs now, I am guessing it's b/c they aren't getting the extra fat that is usually added to canned food.  It's summer though but they are still chow hounds, eating about the same amount. :)

I have never had a problem transitioning proteins, I do add a new one gradually but for me gradually is usually over a 2-3 days.  I am using commercial raw, however, so I'm not sure I'm the best person to ask if you are doing homemade raw.  I would think, however, it would be best to introduce the new protein gradually, e.g., 25% of the new protein alongside 75% of the protein you are feeding for a 2-3 days, then 50% / 50% days 4-5, etc., but I think if you just monitor your kitty's stool, maybe this transition will be a little less or more time. 

Hopefully others will chime in re: transition time for new proteins from homemade raw . :)

meownstuff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm doing a cooked diet with U stew additive. The only proteins I have readily available are chicken, beef and pork. I live in a rural area and grocery stores are limited. However, there's a butcher that lives the next town over that guarantees his chicken is hormone free so this was my first protein choice. I recently got a large pork loin and thought maybe I try that next but not sure if pork is a good option for cats.