Need some help in choosing cat food.

dustyr87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats that I have acquired this past year. One is Sasha, a Maine coon  who belonged to an old wealthy lady who's passed on now who declawed and microchipped her but also treated her like a pampered empress. The other one is Leyla, a stray kitten whom a neighbor take care for but couldn't keep her so he gave her over to us. The issue I've been having is the trouble in deciding what kind of food to give the two of them Sasha will eat anything except for cheap dollar store cat food. She'll eat dry food but I think she has a hard time eating it because she'll be spitting half of it out and leave a mess around her food bowl. She does much better with wet food. On the flipside, Leyla loves dry food(except that cheap dollar store food!) but can be finicky about wet food. She'll eat a Meow Mix cup or Friskies can but absolutely refuses 9 Lives unless she's forced to. I'm at a loss because I don't want to be buying them separate food brands and since dry food is so much cheaper and easier than wet food I'd like to stick with that but with Sasha's problem eating dry food I don't know what to do. 

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
My kittens are little mess-makers with the dry food. They like to pick it up then drop half of it while eating it on the side. I have no idea why, reminds me of how my one dog eats her food. But that's just his preference.

Does Sasha have any dental problems you are aware of? 

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have two cats that I have acquired this past year. One is Sasha, a Maine coon  who belonged to an old wealthy lady who's passed on now who declawed and microchipped her but also treated her like a pampered empress. The other one is Leyla, a stray kitten whom a neighbor take care for but couldn't keep her so he gave her over to us. The issue I've been having is the trouble in deciding what kind of food to give the two of them Sasha will eat anything except for cheap dollar store cat food. She'll eat dry food but I think she has a hard time eating it because she'll be spitting half of it out and leave a mess around her food bowl. She does much better with wet food. On the flipside, Leyla loves dry food(except that cheap dollar store food!) but can be finicky about wet food. She'll eat a Meow Mix cup or Friskies can but absolutely refuses 9 Lives unless she's forced to. I'm at a loss because I don't want to be buying them separate food brands and since dry food is so much cheaper and easier than wet food I'd like to stick with that but with Sasha's problem eating dry food I don't know what to do. 
Wet food is leaps and bounds better for your cats than dry food. Just look through the other threads here and you'll see many posts about why. Cheap dry food is full of fillers and things that cats do not need to be be eating. If anything, feeding cheaper wet food is much better than feeding cheaper dry. I'm not really sure what the problem is with buying different brands for them? It's good to feed cats a variety of foods to help prevent boredom. I'd also suggest you take the cat that's having the issues eating dry food to the vet. It's possible there's a dental issue that's causing her to have issues chewing. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dustyr87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. I don't know if Sasha has a dental problem or not I hadn't thought of it.  I've been very leery of dental work on animals ever since I had a dog not wake up from the anesthesia  after getting its teeth cleaned a couple years ago. 

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Nutro natural canned is a good grain free one that's affordable around $1/can .  Their turkey and chicken flavors don't have carageenan or the dangerous vitamin K supplement.  

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may or may not need any dental surgery but untreated dental issues are not only painful but they can lead to other medical issues so it's important to get her teeth checked out to rule that out. One of the first symptoms you see with dental issues is problems chewing. 

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@Dustyr87  - One option if your worried about teeth cleaning and anesthesia is to look at a Holistic vet. They generally use the least amount of anesthesia that they can, while still being effective. 

If Sasha does better on wet, and Leyla likes Friskies cans, could you feed them both Friskies? Any canned food is so much better than dry food for cats. You can still give the kitten dry food as a small snack if she really misses it.