Need some help desperately! :( Cats fighting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xkappax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much. I'm going to try the scent swapping thing starting today, and we'll see what happens from there on out. I'll post updates when I have something worth posting.

If anyone else wants to post their success stories, I'd be more than happy to hear them, cause I could use that right now.

Thanks so much!

xkappax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I started the scent swapping thing and I think it's going well. I've been taking a towel and rubbing it all over ghost, and then feeding shady on it and giving him treats on it and playing with him on it, and vice versa. Then I'm switching the towels and doing the same thing. Right now I have two boys who are loving their towels very much.

Shady is still afraid to come downstairs on his own, so I'm trying to make him feel more comfortable.

Also, today I got them both to play with the same toy. I rubbed it all over ghost, and then I took it upstairs and rubbed it all over shady.

I don't know if this is progress or not, but shady's not afraid of the towel. I'm going to do this until sunday, what do you suggest my next step be?

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by xkappax

I don't know if this is progress or not, but shady's not afraid of the towel. I'm going to do this until sunday, what do you suggest my next step be?
Yes is a progress...

and your next step & of DH too, is lots of patience....

Catulina was feral,....I take her from streets...
and Horatio was dropped in my yard...
You need lots of patience my friend....you can do it...

Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
Milky
Y Horacio
te saludan!!!

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina, Milky & Horatio say hello to you!!!...
)

Please feel as you home here, we can learn so much and deep about our kittys in this marvelous site, I just only please ask you read the rules and other stuffs that can help you to feel as you Real home!..
here you have the link my friend.
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82565

Please ask whatever you need to know, there are plenty of good members and of course our tireness Mod´s to help us here!....

See you on the forums!, Glad that you join us!

xkappax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My patience is wearing very thin with these cats. I've done a week of scent swapping, and it seems to have made matters worse. Now Shady is afraid to go downstairs and won't take his dinner. Ghost is fine.

The towels that we've been swapping are fine, and the cats will take treats on them, but shady won't even go near the door to take his food. He will eat a few bites, hear ghost eating on the other side of the door, and run. I certainly can't get him even close to the door.

This is very upsetting to me. I'm starting to think that I'm going to have to get rid of Ghost. My father is being less than understanding and let them together the other day, too, ruining nearly a week of progress with a terrible fight that occurred between the two cats because of what he did.

Any advice on what I'm doing wrong/what I could be doing better? I haven't even let the two cats see one another for a week, and the problem seems to be getting worse.

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bumping this thread up for the pros. I am having aggressive issues with my females and have been lurking. I saw this last post has gone unanswered. Thought maybe it got pushed down, so bumping up.

I wish I could help. All I can say is be patient. It is deff going to take longer than a week. Also, if the one won't go near the door to eat, then back the food up a bit until he will. Don't force the issue of eating between the door if the one isn't ready.

Good luck hon.

xkappax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've actually got a spot of good news, guys! Shady is now eating by the door and when Ghost ran into the room where Shady was, Shady sat on the couch and didn't care. There is definitely a HUGE difference. It MUST be the scent swapping/mixing.

I'll keep you guys posted, and good luck to you, Yarra! I hope all goes well. I'll certainly let you know what I did, and maybe that can help you. I've just been swapping towels between the two and giving them treats on the towels. Now they love the towels and get excited when they see them!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xkappax

I've actually got a spot of good news, guys! Shady is now eating by the door and when Ghost ran into the room where Shady was, Shady sat on the couch and didn't care. There is definitely a HUGE difference. It MUST be the scent swapping/mixing.

I'll keep you guys posted, and good luck to you, Yarra! I hope all goes well. I'll certainly let you know what I did, and maybe that can help you. I've just been swapping towels between the two and giving them treats on the towels. Now they love the towels and get excited when they see them!
It sounds like things are going well! Just continue to take things slow and hopefully it will all work out

Them getting happy over the towels is a great sign. You might try giving them their towel treats now where they can see eachother across the room, or though a screen or something. I will do that for a week or so and see how it goes.

Hang in there!

xkappax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This week, we've been putting ghost in a pet carrier and letting him eat his treats and food. Shady has been coming right up to the doors and he can see Ghost in the pet carrier, but they both seem comfortable. Also, I have been taking Ghost in to the room where Shady is and lettting them smell each other nose to nose. This used to erupt in hissing, but now it just results in curious sniffing. If I leave them together too long, Shady runs, so I only do this for a minute at a time. This is a slow process, but it's definitely improved!

yelloweyes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hadn't noticed anyone mentioning litter issues, but don't forget to make sure there are enough litter boxes, and the placement is friendly for kitties (2-3 for two cats). Even cats who appear to get along in every way need space to spread out.

Congratulations on your progress so far. Our "new" cat addition was six months ago, and though things are much improved, all is not perfect in Camelot. Think - baby steps - and you will be pleased with the progress you see. Just love your kitties.