Purraise
14-year old Shorthair
About one week ago became lethargic, not eating/drinking
Vet thought possible pancreatitis
Bloodwork good, maybe a bit low in iron/anemia numbers but not much
Put on cerenia which helped with eating
Noticed increased drooling prior to Cerenia and after, so not related to drug
Went back to vet on Monday (yesterday), has fever
Convenia injection - has done well with this in past when had a kidney infection
Has been eating much better since Friday visit, holding weight

Here is the issue: He usually drinks numerous times from his water fountain throughout the day and loves a high quality dry food with his wet. Now, I believe due to the amount of saliva in his mouth, he won't drink and won't eat the dry (he trys to woof it down if making an attempt), but eats up the wet.
Again, it is not a drug reaction situation
It is not a dental situation, that has been checked.

The vet and I can't figure it out.

Any clues as to what this could be as my fear is since we don't know the cause, this is going to go south again.

Thanks for your help.

Also there has been NO vomiting.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you know how low his iron levels were? You mentioned anemia, do you know what were his red blood cell count looked like?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Short of nausea and dental issues, your vet needs to look for growths under his tongue, elsewhere in the mouth, and/or the throat. It can also be a sign of toxin exposure. Stomatitis is also a possibility, but usually that involves inflammation of the gums. How any of those possible issues might tie to his blood work is something your vet should be able to speculate upon.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Any plants inside? Any essential oils? Any human meds being used? Topical or oral? Has he been sedated and had a full exam of his trachea? Can you correlate anything he does prior to the drooling?
Will he eat the canned food without the dry?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kunga

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you know how low his iron levels were? You mentioned anemia, do you know what were his red blood cell count looked like?
Hi,
I wish I knew the exact numbers you were asking about. In his blood test last week the statement I remember is something along the lines of "his iron was low by about a point".

kunga

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Short of nausea and dental issues, your vet needs to look for growths under his tongue, elsewhere in the mouth, and/or the throat. It can also be a sign of toxin exposure. Stomatitis is also a possibility, but usually that involves inflammation of the gums. How any of those possible issues might tie to his blood work is something your vet should be able to speculate upon.
Hi,

We've been back 3 times and I'm not sure what else to do. The vet checked Earl's mouth and didn't mention any gum inflammation.

He's eating less of the wet at a time now. He eats a little and then is constantly "lip smacking" or managing what is in his mouth. I don't know if this is due to increased salivation or a physical issue. He wants to eat but it's a chore.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nausea is indicated by drooling usually. Has his food been changed lately? Get some lickable treats like Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors, it may keep his strength up. The anemia may be caused by a slight bleed in his intestines too, watch for black tarry stools. I pray you get to the bottom of this!

kunga

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any plants inside? Any essential oils? Any human meds being used? Topical or oral? Has he been sedated and had a full exam of his trachea? Can you correlate anything he does prior to the drooling?
Will he eat the canned food without the dry?
Hi,

Earl has no access to plants.
He has not been sedated for a full exam of his trachea.
When eating the wet he licks a little at a time, then turns his head kind of sideways and "smacks his lips" in an attempt to manage what is in his mouth. He usually loves dry but will not try it now as I think he knows he can't get it down. He also won't drink from his fountain which he loves. This again seems to be an issue of being able to manage the liquid in his mouth.

kunga

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nausea is indicated by drooling usually. Has his food been changed lately? Get some lickable treats like Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors, it may keep his strength up. The anemia may be caused by a slight bleed in his intestines too, watch for black tarry stools. I pray you get to the bottom of this!
Hi,
Thank you for your prayers.
He is currently eating C/N food and likes this. No throwing up at all. Not even any pre-gagging.
His stools, probably due to lack of food and water intake, are the size of a marble, brown, and dry as can be.