Need some encouragement, please?

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

I would warn you to try to keep you sleep pattern steady. Sometimes just staying up too late for a few nights can send your mood swinging. Or if you notice you are sleeping more or less, let your MD know sooner rather than later.
You know, that is such good advice. It wasn't something I realised until just recently, actually, despite having lived with this illness over half my life. I know that disrupted sleep is a symptom of an episode coming on, but I never realised that untreated insomnia can push you into a manic state. My psychiatrist told me that recently, after I hadn't slept for a couple of weeks and felt that I should tell her about it. Most people would try to battle through, but she said to ALWAYS tell her if that happens, and she would give me a very short course of sleeping tablets, because of the risk of mania. I thought it was very interesting and made a lot of sense. Just another of the things that you learn to look after yourself!

PS - I forgot to congratulate you on the treadmill effort. When you are depressed, it's impossible to motivate yourself to do anything. When you're manic you might just stay on there for seven hours!!! I respect your determination. I am supposed to be going to water aerobics with my best friend in the morning and I've spent three days trying to find credible excuses to get out of it. Isn't that terrible????

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunnicat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh! I've been gone all day and just logged in a little while ago. All I can say is, you are all fantastic!!!

You know, the funny thing is, for the past 8 years, I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder. Unfortunately, I bounced around from medication to medication, trying to find one that would help. I have tried a total of twelve medications to treat depression, anxiety or insomnia. Sometimes one would help for a little while, then stop working. Since I never experienced the truly manic episodes, no doctor ever even considered Bipolar, even after going through several doctors.
After almost being involuntarily committed one night, I realized that the doctors couldn't possibly know everything. I began to research and research and research some more. One thing my new psychiatrist tells me is that she can't get over how self-aware I am. It's only because I know that I must know myself and understand the way this illness affects me, or no doctor in the world can help me. Even my new doctor has already tried me on three anti-depressants and three sleeping aids. (Btw, sleeping aids are a HUGE no-no with me, apparently. Ambien CR and Rozerem were tried. It was not pretty, let's just say.) While researching, I stumbled upon Bipolar Disorder Type II. Every single word rang so true to my life that it was eerie.
Finally, I discussed the possible diagnosis with my doctor. For the time being, she wants to treat my symptoms. I'm taking 300 mg of Wellbutrin XL per day, as well as 1 mg of Klonopin at night to sleep (it's primarily an anti-anxiety med, but has sedative properties). So far, so good. I'm much more level than I have been for some time. The next option would be a mood-stabilizer, which frightens me to some degree. But, I have to be honest and admit that, even on the new meds, I'm not always "okay".
Yes, it is a relief to finally have a diagnosis. For years I have thought that it was just me, not being able to fight this "thing" off. And yes, I can pull off a great job of acting as if nothing is wrong, unless you really know me.
I am very relieved to have finally posted this here. The support from all of you and all the kind words have made such an impact here tonight. I thank you all, from the bottom of my heart.