Need Some Advice.

missprincess92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a two year old kitty. & Just recently I decided to try a new cat food. Blue wilderness. & Everything was fine the first day or two. But on the third day, I noticed a change in his behaviors. He wasn't as active as he usually is. I couldn't put my finger on the issue but, I just paid close attention to him. By the fourth day his behavior was completely different. He was drinking alot of water & just acting weird. He was still eating & going the bathroom just fine. But, his poop took on a clay color & I freaked out. So, I threw out the new food & went & bought him his regular food.

Since then, his behaviors still a little weird. He's still eating & drinking. His poop seems back to normal. But, hes still sleeping alot & drinking alot of water. He has me concerned cause this isn't how he normally acts. After further investigation of blue wilderness, I found a TON of reviews from people saying after their pets have switched to this particular food they had many issues resulting in multiple vet visits.

I have two other cats, besides him, both seemed to do fine with the food, but, didn't really take the food right away. They are both just fine. It just seems to be the baby that seems to still be recovering from the food.

Anyways, so, the baby has increased drinking & has been peeing normally. At least I think, normally. No struggling, & no pain. Urine seems normal in color, not cloudy. He was also on antibiotics for a week. For a different issue. But, I don't know if that is what could of caused it.

Anyone have any ideas or advice about this, I would truly be grateful.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What was the other issue he was on antibiotics for?

Regardless, if he already had a digestive problem the new food could trigger it. I think he ate the new food only for about 4 days, right? When did he go back to his old food? If it's been just like 1-2 days I would give it couple more days and if he's not back to normal by then I would take him to the vet before this week ends. It's possible the new food was more dehydrating and if he got some loose stools too that's even more dehydrating which could explain why he drank more water and why he was lethargic -- dehydration alone can cause lethargy.

Dogs Suck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Keeping my felines in the peak of health has always been key for me. All hand-raised by exclusive breeders, or my wife and I vs. kitten mills, to be companion animals (Persian, American Exotic Persian, Hemilayan, Maine Coon).

Over the past three decades I've had to deal with numerous minor to major (food issues to sinus cancer and renal failure).

Feeding them "human grade" foods like Fresh Pet for one, available at Safeway and higher end pet stores, (it's kept refrigerated in large displays - it's not processed and canned). As a rule, if you wouldn't eat it, don't feed it to your cats. This goes for for food and water bowls (only bottled spring water, do not trust tap water). Point being some cats are susceptible to bacteria from less than clean food & water bowls. That must be ruled out for your kitty 1st.

When switching from what they been feed for months or longer here's the deal. Blend in the new food (wet or dry). First week use 25% new, 75% old. Second week 50/50. Third or forth week, go to 100% new.

Of course watch then eat the new from the start, ensuring they like it and will eat about the same amount. Also watch for excessive scratching, especially the area near their ears on their forehead. Inspect their belly's/abdomen for any signs of a rash or splotches that look pink or red. Obviously this means they're allergic to the new food.

Quality foods are typically "denser" with more usable nutrients, and may need to to be cut back some.

It's vital to feed them a diet consisting of wet & and dry kibble. A serving feed in the AM and for dinner, never leaving wet food out - it grows bacteria and spoils in less than an hour.

It's also a very good idea to keep some dry kibble available at all times. They like to graze during the day and overnight. It's also what's best for them, meeting their dietary needs and digestive system. It's much different than a dogs. A quick search will explain why. Try and plan it so you have to refill new kibble daily as it runs out.

Probably way more than you wanted to know. Best of luck! I'd be interested how it goes in the coming days.

p.s. just joined...so no pictures of my cats yet...